Philbeys Ke16 2 Door Wagon.

philbey

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah I did get that sucker of you. That means I can blame you too! haha.

All good the 3K starter actually fitted in. No shit though, I've done plenty of fixits on cars and this starter swap was THE MOST painful job I've done to date. Everything that could go wrong did... god damn it. I only had the gearbox crossmember bolts left to do and the holes didn't line up and I just cracked the shits and borrowed dads ute to get to work today.... Just couldn't be bothered any more....

Awesomeness.

Needs TLC.

Interestingly Ryan, the 3K starter that I had fitted up OK but the solenoid is fairly close to the extractors. Probably be pulling that out in 6 weeks time....

haha man i can relate to you there.

small jobs that are supposed to take 5mins, take 5hrs...and usually involves buying something you didnt think you needed to buy....

also i just went through your entire thread, and i had to go back to page 1 just to get a photo of the entire car!

i think you need to get some whole car photos!

Edited by ke70dave

Yes agree with Felix this way is fastest for K motors in KE1X

As for starters early starters have the solinoid closer to extractors. Later KE70 types have it closer to motor to stop heat being an issue so use a later one.

As for starter mount in KE15 I have the bolts that help it on screwed into the gear box. Later KE's had through bolts with nut so all I did was drilled out my KE15 and put on a KE70 starter with through bolts solved..LOL

So starter swaps on KE1X are never straight fowards..LOL

Cameron

Yeh I tried because I wanted to get it done quickly and ended up taking way too long. Just jumped straight in.... Oh well.

I'm using my old starter and it's close to the extractors. In a week when I'm redoing it, I'll put in a reduction gear.

And yeh I'll snap a couple of pics soon. Needs a wash though...

nah first starter I've killed so far, I had some trouble when I built it but I think it was just cos it was a fresh tight motor. And some shitty wiring. and a classic Brain Fade moment.

It died from the usual sticky solenoid.

I am going to remake my alternator and starter loom though it's pretty dodgy now, half the time I spent under it was repairing the broken wires and putting new terminal connectors on.

• 1 month later...

I looked at the old starter again the other day, could hardly turn it over, must have totally seized a bearing.

Got a brand new second hand (roots manuva reference!) Bosch alternator off Toyoland today, I'm going down the path of internal regulation, simplify my wiring and clean up the engine bay a bit! It's a bit grimy but should be fine.

When I swapped in my second alternator the other day, I decided to rip the sump gasket out and replace it, seems to be holding muuuuuuch better than the last. I used that Permatex No 5 sealant this time, not silicon, good gear.

Also got a bosch black coil off Scotty, swapped him for a pint. Car's been running funny, missing at funny spots in the rev range, hopefully its the coils fault and this new one should do it.

And I dropped two of my Enkei mags off at Natrad on halifax street to lay a couple of beads of aluminium on the edges, I'll get them home tonight and file them clean, polish the set and get some new rubber on them!

Best part of finished the alternator swap today, but discovered that the difference in Bosch-Denso alternator brackets isn't in the bottom bracket..... It's in the top bracket! Off to u pull it tomorrow morning and nab one, or maybe break out the files! Made up a whole new starter and alternator loom too, that was quite an enjoyable job.

Half made loom:

med_gallery_2873_2_488211.jpg

This is the bracket that I got off a KE70 at UPI, plus a noise supressor, total, $7. Awesome. The KE70 bracket is quite a bit longer than the 10 bracket and with my current radiator hose setup, I can't fit it because it will rub on the hose. Just cut the end off it, should be fine although a big mud washer might be a good idea.

med_gallery_2873_2_946586.jpg

Also fitted the elec coil I got from Scotty (was Doug's before that), flushed the radiator with Mukowt as there was still crap floating in there from when I blew the HG ages ago. Worked a treat, I ran it for an hour and after filling again the coolant now stays much cleaner!

Now electrically all good, charges fine etc. New coil and it's running much better.

Also vacuumed it out and got her cleaned up a bit inside. Next task is to polish up my Enkei's and get the rubber on them.

Discovered that my Toyota centre caps will fit into the mag as a Push Through! Sweet.

Edited by philbey

Thanks to the stupid RAIN I had to cancel my bobcat plans for the weekend. So I reckon I'll be sitting under the verandah watching the vege's get a water while I sand my Enkeis!

Two of the rims had chunks missing on the lip, I had Natrad on Halifax street lay some awesome welds down, I'll hand finish with a file, sand them and polish. Drop them all off for tyres somewhere this week.

• 3 months later...

Tidying up these rims has taken some time, I got a dremel and tidied up the welds on the lip. Dremels are fantastic.

I've hand sanded out most of the nicks and scratches with 180 grit. Just got to work up to the 2000 grit and then I'll drill polish the lip to mirror finish, then get some bands on them.

ENKEI AL-Dash's, pretty cool, never seen them before. Only 13 inches but I'm putting a lot of work into them and they should come up fantastic.

here's a pic of one when I bought them. All up I've spent 280 on them a some elbow grease and they look shitloads better already.

post-4354-1253870329.jpg