What Grinds My Gears.

Can you cash it in or is it just energy credits?

You get RECS which are credits when you buy the equipment initially. Typically the installer will buy those from you with a reduced price for the equipment. Then, depending on the state, you'll get higher price for feeding electricity back onto the grid. In some of the southern states the amount has been capped and the cap reached so you'll just get the regular price. In QLD though its uncapped for now.

So you might be buying off peak electricity at something like 25c/kWh and selling back solar at 50c/kWh. Even if you only feed back half of what you use you still end up with a $0 electricity bill. But its not that simple (at least with our setup). If you use electricity during the day it will be pulled off the solar before you feed off the grid. So if you're using 2kW and the solars generating 3kW then you'd only be getting the higher rate on the 1kW surplus you're feeding back into the grid. At least that's how I understand it.

Members dont see this ad

What he said ^^^^^^^^

With our system, during summer it was generating around 25-30 kw a day. Our average usew was about 12 kw a day. So multiply the excess by around 60c and you get a nice little earner :)

Our power provider allows us to cash out if we want to, or it can be used to pay for our gas bill. Others don't allow you to cash out or will send you a cheque every quarter. Need to shop around.

The problem is, the more popular it gets, the more the govt will change the rebate prices.

not bad if you can get it locked in though, and pay back the initial cost of the panels reasonably quick.

my parents got one of the smaller ones a few months back, it certainly does alright according to the little meter, not got a power bill yet so time will tell.

The problem is, the more popular it gets, the more the govt will change the rebate prices.

But at the same time the equipment is becoming cheaper and more efficient. The rebates have dropped already but the price of a new system is still cheaper.

Money..

Seems every time I get back to a decent position financially, something happens and bang, byebye savings. I've had to spend 3 weeks pay in the last four days on things I shouldn't have to... Plus i've been doing a lot of work for people for free lately.. Makes saving for a car/house/rainy day just get harder and harder to do..

Its hard definetley, but well done on having the mind set of planning ahead and saving. A concept which is foreign, very foreign to guys your age. Atleast you are trying to make something better of yourself. I don't mean to sound serious but Ive seen and heard of this so many times. While it may have been 3 weeks of pay you spent in 4 days, you can honestly say you didnt need to ask for that money from anybody because its yours! Its worse being in a position when you need to borrow...

And no don't do work for free, why should you. At the end of the day your only bettering the person who asked for the help knowing you wont take the money. If they offer you some $$ take it because they'd be paying more to have a qualified gardener, tree lopper or whoever doing the same thing anyway.

Its hard definetley, but well done on having the mind set of planning ahead and saving. A concept which is foreign, very foreign to guys your age. Atleast you are trying to make something better of yourself. I don't mean to sound serious but Ive seen and heard of this so many times. While it may have been 3 weeks of pay you spent in 4 days, you can honestly say you didnt need to ask for that money from anybody because its yours! Its worse being in a position when you need to borrow...

And no don't do work for free, why should you. At the end of the day your only bettering the person who asked for the help knowing you wont take the money. If they offer you some $$ take it because they'd be paying more to have a qualified gardener, tree lopper or whoever doing the same thing anyway.

Look, I shouldn't complain as I have $3000 locked away in savings. I have a spendings account and a petrol account. It's just frustrating in a sense that I had a heap of bills plus a birthday, two dinners out and some more service items on the car to organize. I'm not much of a spender really. I only earn between $300-$400 p/w right now so I'm aiming to put $200 per week into my savings account, with the rest paying for bills and petrol. Heck, I'm so tight, I'm currently wearing holy shoes AND socks. Aim is to have $10g in savings by this time next year. Not having any holidays or anything or spending up big on anything either.

The free work is for family, so that isn't too big an issue for me.

Oh, and I just drink instant coffee. So much cheaper.

Sigh.. I need protein powder and shoes ASAP. There goes another $120..

Edited by Kid-Ae

But at the same time the equipment is becoming cheaper and more efficient. The rebates have dropped already but the price of a new system is still cheaper.

Bingo. More money spent will improve the product and make it much more accessible. A 2-3kw system would have cost you 30k ten years ago.

WGMG... "CAN'T"

WTF is it?

Are you serious Jip?

WGMG...

People with no idea.

Babbling on about shit that they clearly have no idea about or actually done themselves.

Yes, you might be using big words, but your making yourself look like an even bigger dickhead!

lOl Okay let me explain...

A couple nights back I saw a billboard with "Can't" on it. Then I came home and on the header ad thingo I saw "Can't" again. So I clicked it. Its just weird. Next time you see it click it. It doesn't make sense.

Money's kinda grinding my gears right now too...

And SLO, I just don't really like people in general haha. But I know this one guy, he would always try and tell me how things are and just had no idea. He would ask me what was going on with my car, I would explain to him what's wrong and what I need to do to fix it. He would then use the google machine and copy and paste something from some page on the internet and start rattling off random unrelated shit. I ended up just telling him to beat it because it would always start a keyboard war. Dude was/is a retard