What Grinds My Gears.

WGMG - Decided a few weeks ago that I wanted a mechanical keyboard (current Logitech wireless one is getting a bit old and sticky). Did my research, worked out which one I wanted, then hit eBay to go hunting. Narrowed it down to 2 dfferent stores, one was $4 cheaper but had a decent chunk of neg/neutral feedback about people receiving wrong items/late etc (still ~99% rating though), whilst the other one had an impeccable rating. Having been burnt recently by an eBay scam, I went for the slightly more expensive but better feedback option.

Only came from Sydney so postage was ~2-3 days, so came home this afternoon ready to tear into a good night's Fallout 3, only to find that they had sent me the wrong bloody version of the keyboard - silver face with blue LED backlighting instead of black face with red LEDs. Double-checked the ad and it was indeed for the black/red one I desired...now if it was a $20 eBay special board I wouldn't have been too annoyed, but this was a $180 keyboard and the difference between the two versions is VERY distinct..

Not happy Jan....

Members dont see this ad

I had to google what a mechanical keyboard was.... I'm impressed, but not $180 impressed. lol

Agreed, $180 is a bit more than I wanted to spend but it gets me exactly the keyboard I want. If I was getting another one purely for work (so no need for backlighting, USB pass-through, media keys etc) then I'd only be spending $80-100

eBay seller has gotten back to me and told me they've sent out the correct one with a barcoded return label for the wrong one to be sent back, so at least I won't be out of pocket for the mistake.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Mechanical keyboard sounds suspiciously like a 1980s keyboard with individual microswitches. commonly known as the...tick tick tick tick tick keyboard. Then we were all amazed at the new type of keyboard that was silent and gave a nice soft touch when you pressed it. now we want tactile noisy keyboards again.

Are we just doing the loop in keyboard "technology"?

Mechanical keyboard sounds suspiciously like a 1980s keyboard with individual microswitches. commonly known as the...tick tick tick tick tick keyboard. Then we were all amazed at the new type of keyboard that was silent and gave a nice soft touch when you pressed it. now we want tactile noisy keyboards again.

Are we just doing the loop in keyboard "technology"?

Sort-of. Old-skool keyboards were indeed mechanical, most were a buckling-spring design (bi-stable spring under each key which "buckles" under load to provide a noticeable engagement point as well as disengaging a switch), they were expensive but computer ownership in those days was a privilege, not a right. Then when keyboards/pads become much more common there were newer, cheaper designs developed (rubber dome, membrane etc) which were also much quieter, however people who typed for a living felt that a lot of the "feel" of traditional keyboards was lost. Also, the newer designs didn't tend to last as long (rubber deteriorates/cracks etc). Current mechanical keyboards are mostly a full mechanical design with no rubber etc so last a heck of a lot longer (~50 million keystrokes rather than say ~2 million for a rubber-dome), so the extra up-front cost is often offset over the life of the 'board by replacement costs of the cheaper designs. Plus there are different designs which give differing amount of force, travel, noise and feedback, so you can tailor the type of switch you want to what you use it for most (typists like feedback, gamers like low force and short travel, office employees want low noise etc etc)

It is similiar to audiophiles preferring valve amplifiers and vinyl compared to transistors and compressed digital audio, whilst the core technology is old it has been modernised significantly.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• 2 weeks later...