Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Grinds My Gears.

Featured Replies

The camel's back has been broken.

 

Replacement bits for the LAST problem finally arrived, so back the Vito went to have them fitted.

While it was there, I asked them to check the brake pads (the light was coming on occasionally) and replace the assortment of blown light bulbs, as I'm just plain sick of doing it.

For the last 2 weeks I've been driving around on foglights. I'm just absolutely over having to continually replace bulbs.

 

So, more exciting news when I collect it this afternoon.

 

Yes, all the brake pads have worn down.

No, that's not a warranty item as they're a wear component.

Fine, even though its only done 40k, just change the damn pads and I'll pay for them, no probs.

We would, except all (ALL) the rotors are undersized too.

Oh, you mean the ones you've already replaced once?

Yes.

Well, change them too. Hurry up.

See thing is, they're a wear item as well... So they're not covered by warranty.

*Uncle Shady begins to quietly smoulder with the fire of a thousand burning suns*

So they were covered at 10k, but not covered now.

That's correct.

Why the f@$k not.

Because before, they were faulty. Now, they're worn. That makes them a wear item, not covered by warranty.

*smoulder smoulder*

So you mean to tell me... That the brake pads have a service life of 40k, but the rotors wear down in less time than the pads, thus needing to be replaced every 30k. Is this what you are telling me?

Yes.

 

 

At this point, I'm just utterly lost for words. I cannot believe Mercedes makes such an abominable bucket of shit, charges an absolute fortune for it (this van cost more than the first residential property I bought) ad then arserapes you even further with parts. Eg: $200 for wiper blades. Yep, 200.

 

Koreans build better cars than this van.

 

I would rather drive a f*cking Kia Pregio than this van.

 

 

 

I've had enough, I've contacted a solicitor, I want out of the lease with no money outstanding. They can have it back. I'm getting a Hiace.

  • Replies 10.4k
  • Views 1.8m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • You can't even be trusted with ball bearings... Who the hell would let you drive a forklift that can't stop?

  • Go be a douche somewhere else.   Yea, I'm in a bad mood.

  • @Blzbud666 & Trev.   Since you guys feel the need to input your opinions about drift either every time I post or everytime the word ke70 is mentioned, generally I've brushed it off as to try an

Posted Images

The camel's back has been broken.

 

post-1373-1281602292.jpg

Yes, all the brake pads have worn down.

No, that's not a warranty item as they're a wear component.

Fine, even though its only done 40k, just change the damn pads and I'll pay for them, no probs.

We would, except all (ALL) the rotors are undersized too.

Oh, you mean the ones you've already replaced once?

Yes.

Well, change them too. Hurry up.

See thing is, they're a wear item as well... So they're not covered by warranty.

*Uncle Shady begins to quietly smoulder with the fire of a thousand burning suns*

So they were covered at 10k, but not covered now.

That's correct.

Why the f@$k not.

Because before, they were faulty. Now, they're worn. That makes them a wear item, not covered by warranty.

*smoulder smoulder*

So you mean to tell me... That the brake pads have a service life of 40k, but the rotors wear down in less time than the pads, thus needing to be replaced every 30k. Is this what you are telling me?

Yes.

 

Fook, I know most euro's have a rotor life of <80'000k's but 30 is just crap.

Edited by Trev

Fook, I know most euro's have a rotor life of <80'000k's but 30 is just crap.

 

Yeah man.

 

I've had experience with Audi, BMW, VW and a couple of other Euros and I know you're lucky to even get one resurfacing out of them before they're undersized... They just don't have enough meat on them for some obscure reason. (The exception to this rule being Volvo, which have bigger rotors than a Landcruiser)

But 30k is just ludicrous. They're not even warped or spotted, just worn down.

 

And its not like I drive the thing at 10/10ths in stop/start traffic all the time either... I baby it around 'cos I'm expecting it to spontaneously explode, and more than half my k's are highway anyway.

 

GAH

The camel's back has been broken.

 

Replacement bits for the LAST problem finally arrived, so back the Vito went to have them fitted.

While it was there, I asked them to check the brake pads (the light was coming on occasionally) and replace the assortment of blown light bulbs, as I'm just plain sick of doing it.

For the last 2 weeks I've been driving around on foglights. I'm just absolutely over having to continually replace bulbs.

 

So, more exciting news when I collect it this afternoon.

 

Yes, all the brake pads have worn down.

No, that's not a warranty item as they're a wear component.

Fine, even though its only done 40k, just change the damn pads and I'll pay for them, no probs.

We would, except all (ALL) the rotors are undersized too.

Oh, you mean the ones you've already replaced once?

Yes.

Well, change them too. Hurry up.

See thing is, they're a wear item as well... So they're not covered by warranty.

*Uncle Shady begins to quietly smoulder with the fire of a thousand burning suns*

So they were covered at 10k, but not covered now.

That's correct.

Why the f@$k not.

Because before, they were faulty. Now, they're worn. That makes them a wear item, not covered by warranty.

*smoulder smoulder*

So you mean to tell me... That the brake pads have a service life of 40k, but the rotors wear down in less time than the pads, thus needing to be replaced every 30k. Is this what you are telling me?

Yes.

 

 

At this point, I'm just utterly lost for words. I cannot believe Mercedes makes such an abominable bucket of shit, charges an absolute fortune for it (this van cost more than the first residential property I bought) ad then arserapes you even further with parts. Eg: $200 for wiper blades. Yep, 200.

 

Koreans build better cars than this van.

 

I would rather drive a f*cking Kia Pregio than this van.

 

 

 

I've had enough, I've contacted a solicitor, I want out of the lease with no money outstanding. They can have it back. I'm getting a Hiace.

 

min thickness for front rotors are 25mm and 14mm for the rear,

 

so if your pads are low and rotor thickness is 25.3mm, we recommend you replace them

 

if you don't replace them, the time till next service the rotors will be undersize and you can't just change rotors and use the new pads you had replace last service. so basically you will throw away new pads!

 

ive noticed that the second service (60,000km) vitos normally require front pads, (90,000) rear pads, (120,000) front pads and discs

 

as for warrenty - warrenty doesnt cover "consumables" aka brake pedal rubbers. pads/rotors. tyres. wipers. warrenty is a f@$king joke imo

 

wipers - $200 a set! yes thats genuine! but theres a aftermarket option with a price of $40 a pair

 

if you let problems build up they become money makers

Yeah man.

 

I've had experience with Audi, BMW, VW and a couple of other Euros and I know you're lucky to even get one resurfacing out of them before they're undersized... They just don't have enough meat on them for some obscure reason. (The exception to this rule being Volvo, which have bigger rotors than a Landcruiser)

But 30k is just ludicrous. They're not even warped or spotted, just worn down.

 

And its not like I drive the thing at 10/10ths in stop/start traffic all the time either... I baby it around 'cos I'm expecting it to spontaneously explode, and more than half my k's are highway anyway.

 

GAH

 

One of the mobile brake machine guys down here (AAA Mobile Machining) told me that the composite materials in the euro's make them a softer rotor which is why they wear easily.

 

Dunno?

One of the mobile brake machine guys down here (AAA Mobile Machining) told me that the composite materials in the euro's make them a softer rotor which is why they wear easily.

 

Dunno?

 

correct!

 

european cars use a very soft rotor compound and a VERY hard brake pad

 

therefore very very very very good stopping power but brakes/rotors wear quicker

 

and you can't machine the rotors

Edited by Evan G

min thickness for front rotors are 25mm and 14mm for the rear,

 

so if your pads are low and rotor thickness is 25.3mm, we recommend you replace them

 

if you don't replace them, the time till next service the rotors will be undersize and you can't just change rotors and use the new pads you had replace last service. so basically you will throw away new pads!

 

ive noticed that the second service (60,000km) vitos normally require front pads, (90,000) rear pads, (120,000) front pads and discs

 

as for warrenty - warrenty doesnt cover "consumables" aka brake pedal rubbers. pads/rotors. tyres. wipers. warrenty is a f@$king joke imo

 

wipers - $200 a set! yes thats genuine! but theres a aftermarket option with a price of $40 a pair

 

if you let problems build up they become money makers

 

Yeah funny that, my pedal rubber is worn out too. Oh and there's a hole in the floor from my heel.

 

It hasn't even BEEN for its second service yet.

Its still burning oil though, so by the time it does go in for service they won't even need to drop the f*cking oil because I will have already fed it another 8 litres of nice fresh stuff.

ALL the pads are worn down and squealing. 30k from rotors in unacceptable. Just not good enough.

I went and bought wiper refills, pulled the blade apart, shoved the new inserts in, cost me a tenner.

 

New tyres I put on a few thou ago are already feathering. I'm running stupid psi to try and counter it.

I'm getting them reversed L - R next week, and rotated F - B, which I'll do every 5k to try and get more than 10 thou out of the front pair.

 

Just been perusing the interwebs re: the world's most useless van. Nice to know I'm not alone in my grievances.

 

http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-test...edes-Benz/Vito/

Edited by 7shades

I'm guessing positive camber wear of the FLH wheel?

FL more than FR, but both are wearing far too quickly.

 

Depending on who you ask, its the rollbar bushes, the wishbones flexing, or the steering rack... Nobody can tell me for certain.

Everything in the front end clicks and clunks anyway so I'll just keep driving it until something breaks off and sends me into a ditch.

 

Maybe then I can test the much-hyped 5 star ANCAP rating.

Mr shades may i suggest investing in a hiace or tarago at least there a many of them and it wont break down every minute, parts are easy to find and BEST OF ALL ONE BADGE MAKES IT BETTER, it starts with T and ends with A and has oh what a feeling in the middle :fuzz:

correct!

and you can't machine the rotors

 

He is also a brake supplier :fuzz:

Is the Vito the same van that the Queensland Ambulance Service, Australia Post and some Police use?

 

If it is I wonder if the Ambulance service finds it more economical than the old F-150's? (Or is it F-250?)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.