What If We Could Race Our 4age Xe7x

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reakon its a great Idea, I'd love to see a cheap 4 cylinder class exist that isn't a gemini. I reakon let the KE25's race with us, with a weight ballast, have fun whopping ass with your leaf springs mate if there parity. As for superchargers and turbo chargers? Doesn't that go against the principle of parity? This would almost require everyone to run turbo's for close racing on tracks with any big straights. Then the complexity of running a reverse grid to make it any good, and the dangers associated with it would make it impossible to see good racing.

Sounds interesting. What if i used a carbed 4ag and you run your efi gear is that still close enough ?

I imagine that for parity reasons and to keep costs down, we would be looking at standard ecus for all. Its far cheaper and more consistent/better for novice mechanics. Most 4ages were efi, so that will be easier for all people to obtain the same setup. As far as suspension goes, I'd leave that open, and only restrict track width. To me the suspension/brakes is where the participants in the class would focus their tuning aspirations. Engine development is extremely expensive. Suspension development is also quite expensive, but suspension components aren't as easily damaged or as difficult to change. This would keep costs down in my opinion, while still allowing all of us to work towards a competitive edge for our cars. Sound ok?

To be fair, camshafts would be restricted to factory, as would the ecu and injectors and valve sizes. You'd have everyone running the JDM spec ECU too. But, I think running a 7 rib bottom end for reliability issues would be allowed.

This would leave the variables like head porting, exhaust and compression ratio in the engine department. This would make it possible for people to compete for cheap and still be competitive. Geez the cost of a set of after market 4AGE cams is more than most of the running 4AGE's I've picked up over the years, let alone setting them up.

You would have people cheating for sure by working their internals. Dyno runs before races to keep an eye on power would fair things up a bit. We all know there is a number of things you can do to a 4age to gain power and still be N/A so you set a limit say 100rwkw and that would keep the costs down and make it a fairer race.

If you wanted to broaden the field you could have 4age Corollas of anymake but just have power to weight ratio limits.

I'm all for the *E7* 4age class but I don't think you would have enough owners with the money to compete.

Mitch.

I know what you mean about wanting to keep it close in power, but I really don't think people could get away with working their internals too heavily.

By the sound alone I know if a 4AGE has after market cams, and it takes 2 minutes to visually inspect the top end of a motor. 100rwkw is a mean feat on standard cam's, even with 11:1 compression. Some nice porting won't effect the overall output of a motor as much as it'll the ability for the motor to breath or deliver its power.

Your probably right in the fact it'd be hard to find enough people to compete in a class, but there is probably double the number of 4A xe7x's in Australia as there were 2 years ago. If even 5 of us would start regularly racing together in the sprints I'm pretty certain we'd raise enough eyebrow's to eventually get a stronger following on the horizon. From there, the sky's the limit.

You would have people cheating for sure by working their internals. Dyno runs before races to keep an eye on power would fair things up a bit. We all know there is a number of things you can do to a 4age to gain power and still be N/A so you set a limit say 100rwkw and that would keep the costs down and make it a fairer race.

If you wanted to broaden the field you could have 4age Corollas of anymake but just have power to weight ratio limits.

I'm all for the *E7* 4age class but I don't think you would have enough owners with the money to compete.

Mitch.

If you are restricting it to Xe7X rollas for the sake of keeping things even then you would also need to restrict people to the same spec 4age (ie, no 20v's) with the exact same level of mods. Even that is never going to be perfectly equal. Then Xe7X also indicates that wagons and T18's could enter, that means different weights, diff spec etc.

I think you're much better off finding an established event or class that ke70's are eligible to enter and getting as many of your friends to enter as possible. It will be just as fun in the end without all the hard work.

this is indeed a wicked idea

i don't know if everyone running the same cars effectively is the way to go though

i'd love to be able to run my car which already breaches the rules (not the CA one the webbered 16v one ;) )

there is a simlar series being developed for the AE86 which i was keen on but again unable to participate in as i steer a KE70 :D

more info here

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...=17937&st=0

i reckon we all get together and hire a track session and have a go and see how it works out, that would sort out who would be still interested and who wouldn't i guess before people commit to a series they later find they don't want to be part of :)

all in all a great idea dude, and i'm all for it as long as i can drive there change rims, race, change rims and go home again :yes:

David

It would certainly add to the appeal if you could drive there, and race in the car you came in, then cruise home. Keep costs down too. I really think if we didn't have some limits it would be too hard to compete. I can't see how we can all compete fairly if some people have money for mods and some don't. I don't think there would be any way to say anything goes. Initially, to gauge interest, I think we should just have a club day and cut laps with each other. In an organised series, you would need parity rules.