1981 Ke55 Xx

Murd 55

okay. so basically i ended up with this car because dad grabbed it up for his own use when his motor bike was stolen. then basically i bought it off him because he no longer had a use for it and i figured it was a good first car.

when we got the car it looked pretty bad. the passenger side front quarter was black from when the previous owner ran into a pole and had to have it replaced. so we got out the old spray can and silvered it so that it wasnt as bad of an eye sore. so this is basically what it looked like before.

6be0e1j.jpg

4pan7ue.jpg

and from that point basically there was alot that needed to be done. we got a new bonnet as the one on it was sort of caved in and all. and we decided that it needed some new paint so we sent it up to my grandpa who is an ex mechanic and he cut all the rust out and fibreglassed then gave it a nice new shiny coat and it came home looking like this

6ahn9g3.jpg

4y9b0jl.jpg

it still had alot of faults like a broken grill and all. but finally a couple weeks back i went down to you pull it and amazingly found a grill to suit as the ones with square headlights seem almost impossible to find. then after installing it i discovered that the panel that had been replaced from running into a pole was of a car that obviously had round headlights as it doesn't line up properly but its barely noticeable.

next step is to put the new diff in and then hopefully get the bodywork fixed after the accident. i will probably need a new rear bumper as it was damaged from the accident.

i will hopefully soon locate the images from all the work thay was done with the fibreglassing and all and add but right now i can't seem to find them.

Edited by Murderess-KE55

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, Looking good!! Love the square headlight hardtops. Tho I do believe that the guards on square and round KE55's are the same.

The only difference is the painting. The earlier (Round) had a chrome trim at the base that ran across the whole side of the car while the later (Square) had the bottom section of the guard painted black with some rough sort of paint.

So any plans on changing the wheels or engine upgrade??

umm i would like to get some rims but atm the biggest priority is fixin the bodywork from the accident :D

the car has a few minor things that need to be fixed. the engine runs well so i doubt id go out of my way to get it done seeing as i know nothing about cars and have no one really to help me work on it. the diff is gettin done by my dads mechanic friend and then basically I'm on my own for anything else.

ive looked thru my pc and i think that the pictures were deleted sometime as even when i search nothing comes up. I'm sure u can see the difference from start to finish. i will be putting as much love as i can into this car as its something i would like to do but i think i will need to find a nice friend who can help me out hehe

any recomendations are welcome but then again i really don't understand much about cars seeing as i never grew up around all that.

Nice car , I am looking for a 55 coupe with square headlights to add to My corolla collection , I also like the boot spoiler what did that come off ?

yeah this one is last off the line being the XX model. hehe think there were about 500 made worldwide. but the square head light 55's seem to be hard to find. i mainly spot ones with the round headlights.

and yeah i think its off a cordia. pretty sure. it looks good but most people get put off when i mention that it is a rubber kit and u have to oil it up frequently or it gets dry and cracked.

hopefully she will be getting a face lift and the sigma front fender will be replaced with one of those front splitters in a different topic. then hopefully some new sexy crome bumpers as both mine are twisted due to age and the rear one due to the accident i was in.

i hope to be getting a front splitter and some nice crome bumpers to match something like this picture that i found somewhere on here

5xqn87c.jpg

also looking for some nice rims but don't have a whole lot of $$ to spend and want something that will fit on nicely.

Edited by Murderess-KE55

yeah it cost like nothing it isnt actually a box its just a speaker attached to a wooden face screwed in. but there is one each side and there is only the cabling for the speakers down there.

you could probably do a much better job for next to nothing it just seemed the simplest at the time.

just some mdf basically same as i used to redo my parcel shelf.

new pictures from today. cleaned her up a little to the best of her potential.. (well to the best i could be bothered right now) so as i could post some decent pictures.

a view of the drivers side (featuring new grill)

543ksvs.jpg

67iqq3a.jpg

the interior (alot cleaner than last time)

5zfz59d.jpg

the seats

4yytnpj.jpg

the back seats (a couple of small burns)

4l4ve4o.jpg

the boot with my woofer

6g14lex.jpg

and the passengers side (featuring my lovely dents)

4vp09w2.jpg

thats basically the car inside out now. hehe.

ill save new pics for when new work is done on it.

but new in these pics is my grill, gear knob, ipod remote (on my steering wheel) and my lovely dents. (grr @ busses!!!)

Id like one just like it.

Is xx stamped on the firewall on them ?

Do you know if there is any way to tell from the firewall number if they had factory square headlights ?

are the wheels on your car factory alloys that came out on the xx ?

I have been doing some reading but can't find a lot of information.

Edited by KE30_KE35_KE55

i think XX is stamped on the tag where the vin number is I'm not sure. but it did have XX badges but i had all the badges removed but in the first 2 pics u can see one on the front quarter and boot lid. i have no idea about the "any way to tell from the firewall number if they had factory square headlights"

and yes the wheels on there are factory fitted on the XX but i hear they are meant to be KE70 rims.

the XX was factory fitted mags. air con (which mine seems to spit ice i might add) and 5 speed manual. ++ there were only about 500 made world wide.

**and updated - i have my name down for a splitter and i will hopefully find myself some crome bumpers. (i shall convince chet to part with his old ones) ah i love birthdays =]

and hopefully the car will get fixed christmas time as my grandpa is down tomorrow so we shall discuss =]

Edited by Murderess-KE55