The Usual 4age Into Ke55

olskool

Hey, thanks Mick. Yeah I have been working on the car a lot lately but it is not very picture worthy. It's just a whole lot of wiring mubo jumbo. I finally got myself an ecu.

It's the new Haltech Platinum series 1000. Anyway, I am doing the wiring myself and I can tell you now it is nothing short of 50 headaches in a row every night. Nah, its plenty of fun just time consuming.

So yeah, I have most definitely not stopped working on the car.

I also got a 12" thermo which I am in the process of mounting on the radiator. I will put up pics of that when I finish.

And thanks agaian for all the comments.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

You could use a stick welder if you really wanted to, but as you go into something like that or a gasless mig, you just really need to know how to use the machine. Heaps of people say that they can weld with a stick and a mig, but there is a huge difference from someone who is just self taught in the backyard and someone who has done some welding courses.

Then again, you could just get a couple books out and just have a read or do a search on the internet. :cool:

I am not saying that you are not capable but just say that a small section of the weld was not up to standard and later down the track a weld broke and your engine mount collapsed whilst you are driving. I am sure that you would not be happy. :cool:

Another good thing to do is get lots of scrap and do some practice welds on that before you get to your engine mounts.

Anyway, anybody is capable as long as the right amount of knowledge is acquired. Like I said, read up on the internet. Good luck man. :fuzz: :D

• 2 weeks later...

congrats oldskool on all the most excellent hard work your put in and for taking the time to post up ,i own a ke55 and have been searching the net for a few weeks now trying to find out as much as i can on all the dos and donts and problems run into with these engine transplants , great work keep up the postings,

btw what did you end up using in your front end set up, did you end up with modifed ke30 lower arms as suggest by another member, ra65 struts,corrolla springs and spring cups and the kmac adjustable towers??? just woundering what ended up working well so maybe i can take the same aproach and start sourcing parts! ;-) cheers :bash:

congrats oldskool on all the most excellent hard work your put in and for taking the time to post up ,i own a ke55 and have been searching the net for a few weeks now trying to find out as much as i can on all the dos and donts and problems run into with these engine transplants , great work keep up the postings,

btw what did you end up using in your front end set up, did you end up with modifed ke30 lower arms as suggest by another member, ra65 struts,corrolla springs and spring cups and the kmac adjustable towers??? just woundering what ended up working well so maybe i can take the same aproach and start sourcing parts! ;-) cheers :y:

Thanks heaps for the feedback. Yes that is exactly what I done with my suspension set up on the front. I tried and tried and tried to keep the RA65 lower arms but it was just causing too much trouble. At the end of the day, the way I did it was the easiest.

As for keeping up the posts of my progress it has been a while. I have, painfully enough been flat out working on my other daily rolla, so there hasn't been much happening wih my KE55. Although just yesterday I completed a rather interesting part of my intake. I will post up some pics soon. :bash:

Again thank you all for the positive feedback. :bash: :D

Well here is my pic as promised.

Hope you all like.

post-2171-1244356059_thumb.jpg

All I gotta do now is cut a hole out and put a filter in the box and that is yet another job done on the KE55. :bash: :y:

I feel like I am making progress again and it makes me darn HAPPY ! ! ! ! ! ! !

you prob don't care but i got a pro to do my welding.

i weighed up the cost of the welder and course and time and metal vs a pro and he one hands down.

use 8mm steel for cross members

very strong prob over kill for a stock 12a but a poor man pays twice

Where does the air come in for the airbox?

The box is open on the drivers side. I am also going to cut a section out of the front panel which is right behind the headlight and then I also have another plan which I may try to do and I will put up pics when I do it. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom corner further to the front of the car and put a pipe from there to where the bumpe bar comes through the front end.

Do you think that will be a sufficient flow of air? :y:

I hope so.

OOOOOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSSIIIIII. Just realised my girlfriend wa logged on and not me. Oh Well.

Edited by nyxvampire

• 3 weeks later...

Still going strong with my conversion. I have been making my oil catch can and I have fully finished off the intake pipe with the air temperature sensor fitting on the pipe aswell. The latest though, I have been pulling apart my celica gearbox and getting it ready for a full overhaul. So here is a picture for those of you who haven't seen inside a gearbox. And, mind you, there are still some more parts to come.

So anyway, nevertheless I am still workin on the KE55.

post-2171-1246173875_thumb.jpg