The Usual 4age Into Ke55

olskool

The rack and pinion conversion would be a great idea but I am still sticking with the steering box. I am not sure on its difficulty though. As for my diff I did end up going with 28 spline axles and I got a brand new limo which would be closer classified as a locker it is that tight.

Anyway, thanks for the good words, I hope yours goes well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, again it has been a while since I last updated.

Anyway I spent a bit of money and bought basically everything I need to complete the clutch side of things. New pressure plate, exedy clutch, Master cylinder and slave cylinder and a few bearings.

post-2171-1247387247_thumb.jpg

I also finally got a chance to make the oil catch can that I have been planning to do for aaaaaaaggggggeeeeessssss.

Anyway here are a few pics.

post-2171-1247387476_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1247387518_thumb.jpg

post-2171-1247387579_thumb.jpg

Edited by olskool

• 3 weeks later...

Finally in the process of rebuilding my gearbox after I have gone through a few headaches of people not being able to source out the correct bearings etc etc. Should be complete very soon, then I will be making a radiator over flow can, finish of some more wiring, sort out a fuel system(and the list goes on) and then I can drive the car. :D

Sounds easy for sure. I wish it really was. Soon though soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the latest news is what every car entusiast/rebuilder absolutely despises. RUST.

But I came up with a solution. As painful as it is I actually picked up my 5" grinder with a cutting wheel and began on the journey to no rust. It was very hard for me as the car is very clean already with a very clean paint job so it was super hard for me to 'butcher' the panel.

But I said to myself, I must 'butcher' in order to arrive at a much more satisfactory finished product, and then it will never again be in the back of my head.

So here are some pics to feast your eyes on.

The problem area was on the bottom angle where the rear window seals around.

post-2171-1250328805_thumb.jpg

This here was the first problem spot. Rust holes. Oooohhh yeah. :y:

post-2171-1250328389_thumb.jpg

Cut that cancer out ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :)

post-2171-1250328443_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250328476_thumb.jpg

And then I welded in a patch of stainless steel, and ground the weld back smooth.

post-2171-1250328731_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250328762_thumb.jpg

This was the next problem it was worse than the above. It was so bad that the angle that held the window in actually deteriorated in that spot.

post-2171-1250328889_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250328413_thumb.jpg

So again out came the good old grinder and I chopped out another part. This time significantly larger than the previous one.

post-2171-1250329135_thumb.jpg

And again I welded in a patch of stainless steel.

post-2171-1250329161_thumb.jpg

So after all of the above was painstakingly complete, I looked at the angle that was meant to hold the window. It seemed as though it was lacking in the strength and sealing properties of a good one, considering the rust and missing parts. So I decided that it needed to come out. I came this far so I thought why not. So I cut the whole strip out and made a whole new one out of stainless steel again, and tack welded it in all the way along. And the funny liquidy look is rust dissolver.

post-2171-1250329433_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250329461_thumb.jpg

Here is the stainless strip tacked in place.

post-2171-1250329502_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250329576_thumb.jpg

And now painted. I reckon that it should be good enough for a long while.

post-2171-1250329663_thumb.jpgpost-2171-1250329683_thumb.jpg

Now that the bare metal is fully rust treated and completely covered, the next job is to run a bead of special sealant in the corner of the stainless steel strip, and paint the section the can be seen. The gloss black is only painted on the inside of the car and on the parcel shelf.

So there you all go. The latest update on my rolla. I have also been sorting out the fuel setup including a surge tank. So I am still moving ahead. Hope you guys like it. :wink:

Nice clean welds there mate. It's looking good.

Do you use a TIG for your body work? I have been speaking to a few different people and some have said if you use a pulse TIG, AC current, it's good for welding thin gauge steel without warping, as the alternating current help pull the heat out of the weld area.

You seem to be pretty handy with the TIG, just wondering if you had any suggestions.

Cheers

Davros

Yeah mate, I used TIG, as for pulse, it depends on personal preference. For real thin stuff I tend not to use pulse but thats me. I know heaps of other people which say the same and they prefer to use pulse.

It all comes down to how much experience you have, and you will slowly find your way.

Thankyou for the comments too. :)

OMG! I've just read from the start olskool! Stunning work, reminds me of the three years I spent getting an old '49 Armstrong Siddeley on the road when I was 15... I reckon it was all a conjob by my old man to keep me in the garage and off the road!

When I was rallying a Datsun 1600 my navigator was an engineering draughtsman, very handy for all the mods. When we moved the engine back we fabricated mounts out of 18guage panel and he put a piece of exhaust pipe horizontally from front to back, cutting holes in the "sides" and welding the pipe in. Said it made it much stronger than plain box shape. I assume he was right as they never broke. We had a crossmember made the same way as it no longer carried the weight of the engine, it was just somewhere to hang the LCAs on...

That was all gas welding in those days, so I've never learnt these flash new wire-welding skills...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while again, and I am afraid that there really aren't any updates. I have been doing small things every now and then, but not much really worth mentioning. I have been absolutely flat out rebuilding my girlfriends Datto 200b motor, the mighty L20B. I just finished it on Sunday night. The motor is amazing now, almost as quiet as a new car.

Apart from that I have also purchased a new car. Not a corolla, but DEFINITELY a Toyota. I will post up some pics of it soon in the Rides thread.

Anyway, it won't be long till I am back on the road to completing the rolla again. :)

• 2 months later...