The Usual 4age Into Ke55

olskool

Alrighty then. AGES back I mentioned that I was going to begin a 4age conversion to my KE55. Well I have actually started the conversion. And believe it or not I have been pulling my hair out every night that I go to sleep. So many things to think about. Any way here is list of what I have got so far.

Pintara diff with 4.11 gears adn disc brakes. I have already ground back all of the link brackets and coil seats.

4AGE of course, port and polished head, adj. cam gears.

Custom bell housing to suit a celica 5 speed box

Engine mounts from a ford laser. Making custom mounts to suit.

A dummy car, so as to keep my car on the road.

SAAS Bucket seat and racing harness.

Well I have made one engine mount which is the drivers side, still to make the passenger side one. Once both engine mounts are done I will begin on the gearbox crossmember. I chose the Pintara diff (25 spline Borg Warner) because the ratios are suitable and it comes with disc brakes already. It also has the same stud pattern. :no: All I have to do is shorten the diff and I will be purchasing a 4 pin lsd to suit aswell.

post-2171-1191579777_thumb.jpg

post-2171-1191579919_thumb.jpg

The custom bell housing I sourced from Dellow Automotive who also supplied a clutch fork to make it come out the drivers side. This has probably so far been the best purchase, as when I bought it, it bolted on the engine and gearbox NO PROBLEMS! It was heaven, considering everything else is being custom made by me.

post-2171-1191580132_thumb.jpg

The standard engine mounts I decided were a bit too awkward to use so I purchased ford laser engine mounts, primarily because they only had one stud out either side. Once I begun making the engine mount themselves it proved to be a lot easier.

post-2171-1191580516_thumb.jpg

post-2171-1191580678_thumb.jpg

The dummy car I decided to get so that my car can stay on the road and continue driving until it is finished in the dummy car and then all I got to do is bolt it in. Yes it has no radiator support, but that is not going to hold me back. I will just do the cooling system in my car.

post-2171-1191580845_thumb.jpg

post-2171-1191581071_thumb.jpg

The SAAS Bucket Seats and the Racing Harness I purchased to keep both driver and passenger secure and comfortable whilst I am thrashing around corners sensibly.

post-2171-1191580337_thumb.jpg

In regards to where the engine sits in the engine bay, particularly for JC807 who is doing the KE20 conversion, mine sits really low but that's how I chose to do it so the the centre of gravity is lower which enhances handling. The following picture is exactly where it will sit according to the firewall. But then again I do not know about the differences between the KE20's and 55's with the cross members and firewalls. But that is where mine sits. The sump is in line with cross member perfectly.

post-2171-1191581402_thumb.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far, I will keep you all updated as well as I possibly can.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to get some clear covers made up (on hold till i get my licence back) but if that was gonna be to hard i was just going to cut mine the way yours is and get some perspex put in, A few people have done it and it looks great.

thought the whole vacuum molded thing was almost go??? Sad to hear it is no longer, I will make alternate arrangements as I need this stuff soon.

I am trying to get some clear covers made up (on hold till i get my licence back)

Nope its still a go, I have the mould sourced but since i don't have a licence i can't go get it, PM me for anymore details.

good work getting a shell to work with.

how much was the bellhousing?

As well as sitting the motor as low as practical, you also want the motor as far back as possible, so there is less weight in front of the struts. if my motor sat much lower i'd have to get funky with a different sump.

After driving a bmw with nice suspension (eibach, bilsteins) for 5 years, i didn't want to concentrate too much trying to make my ke20 handle uber well; its not a car to be flying into blind corners with on the road (wouldn't crash too well) and its never going to be a track car.

I think the engine has just enough room to fit everything at the back. Overall it is about a 20mm clearance. I also tried to make that as minimal as possible. The bell housing and clutch fork set me back about $680. A fair bit but a good price to pay considering there are still plenty of celica boxes to be collected and stored for future usage. :no:

So I did some more work on my conversion today and all went well with the other engine mount. Turned out awesome and the engine sits low and as far back as possible. When I just look at the engine in the old rolla's engine bay I ask my self why the japs couldn't be that little bit smarter back in the old days and just bring out the old KE's with the 4age. It was meant to be. :y:

post-2171-1191740052_thumb.jpg

post-2171-1191740198_thumb.jpg