Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

How legal is it fitting HID's to a car that didn't have them..also a pre ADR car?

I have been toying with the plan of getting circa 1960's spot lights for front of KE15 as bumper has holes for them as I have original set in boot and fitting HID's to them. SO I can see at night and can flick them off for old Thomas Edison look lighting. SO keen for pics and what is their beam like? don't you need fancy reflectors to get there light focused right?

Also dizzy O/H will do a treat :) Where you get kit from a mates 4age need this done?

Cameron

Hello,

How legal is it fitting HID's to a car that didn't have them..also a pre ADR car?

I have been toying with the plan of getting circa 1960's spot lights for front of KE15 as bumper has holes for them as I have original set in boot and fitting HID's to them. SO I can see at night and can flick them off for old Thomas Edison look lighting. SO keen for pics and what is their beam like? don't you need fancy reflectors to get there light focused right?

Also dizzy O/H will do a treat :) Where you get kit from a mates 4age need this done?

Cameron

There are so many conflicting stories against them and not one thing that says as to why they are (that I can find), in the UK they are frowned upon as the reflectors can scatter the light, I have fitted brand new lights to the car not so long ago and the lights do not scatter, I also got 6000k which are super white lights, the lights will be adjusted so that they don't annoy other drivers, the reason I went for the HID's is because I went for brighter halogens but they melted the wiring and the plug.

You should be able to get away with using the crystal reflectors with the HID's, just don't go higher then 6000k as they go blue.

I will get some pics or come show you once I adjust them properly.

Dizzy kit here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280597369220&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

If he doesn't wanna risk doing the rebuild then I can do it.

youll find 6000k has a tinge of blue. if you want PURE WHITE go 5000k (witch is the brightest!)

Couldn't get 5000k, it was 4300k (yellow)or 6000k, no use going higher, there has been a lot of feedback to say that the 6000k are the best for producing light that is easy to see.

uh try evilbay?? i remember seeing a 55w 5000k kit for $120? local not import.

6000k stick out like dogs balls! you can tell straight away from the blue tint.

Got mine off good old eBay, from a local seller, my old lights were blue anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

Went to Oxley wreckers looking for an 82 with a front lip but it is gone so I decided to go to Wacol to get a few things I needed, I found a brown dash top in excellent condition (no one had tried removing it the noob way) and a few other parts, I ended up with the following:

Dashtop.

LH mirror trim.

Glove box.

Stereo surround.

LH speaker cover.

Walked up to the counter and there was a girl that served me:

Me: just these parts.

Her: 15 bucks.

Me: 50 bucks?

Her: No, 15, would you of paid 50?

Me: Nah, thought I had to use my card.

f@$kING STEAL, went and got some black interior paint and painted the dash top and column surround like that of the twincams so it is looking a bit more cleaner inside.

• 11 months later...

Will be doing some service things to this tomorrow like fitting another fan switch since the one in it is faulty, checking the plugs, flushing coolant etc. Also got the mrs some new front speakers to go in it so I will do that once I modify the door pods.

Went to Oxley wreckers looking for an 82 with a front lip but it is gone so I decided to go to Wacol to get a few things I needed, I found a brown dash top in excellent condition (no one had tried removing it the noob way) and a few other parts, I ended up with the following:

Dashtop.

LH mirror trim.

Glove box.

Stereo surround.

LH speaker cover.

Walked up to the counter and there was a girl that served me:

Me: just these parts.

Her: 15 bucks.

Me: 50 bucks?

Her: No, 15, would you of paid 50?

Me: Nah, thought I had to use my card.

f@$kING STEAL, went and got some black interior paint and painted the dash top and column surround like that of the twincams so it is looking a bit more cleaner inside.

Nice buying Trev,

where abouts did you get interior paint from? sounds like the little rolla is getting some love recently, good stuff man.

• 7 months later...

Have a full set of brand new brakes to go on this which I will hopefully do tomorrow.

Front rotors and pads.

Rear drums, shoes and wheel cylinders.

And all very fooking cheap which are the perks of working for a large parts company.

It feels great to drive once again, the rear left brake adjuster was bent and damn there was some decent wear in the front rotors.

Next on the list: cv shafts, front suspension (struts mainly), fix the drivers seat and remove the window tint.