Turbo Hilux

Drift_Spec_Rolla

Members dont see this ad
Hey guys i have an 01 2.7efi hilux and a td04 turbo to bolt on to it, my question is how thick does my head gasket need to be to reduce compression to a safe level, I'm unsure in this area.

Thankyou for any light you can shed

You know this is a corolla forum don't you? Rebuild it to lower compression if you can, a fat headgasket is a bad idea in most cases.

When it comes to putting forced induction on a N.A. motor most times it works out better to rebuild the motor for forced induction.

Unless your just planning on running low boost, like say 5psi or something.

A thicker gasket is like a bandaid solution. Do expect it blow after a while. Copper gasket ??

Changing the cam timing is another one for a bandaid solution. Eg - if the exhaust valves open sooner some of the pressure can be released. But it robs power, economy etc.

Best thing to do first is research first before spending the money and maybe blowing a hole in not just your pocket but the motor as well.

The other option is reducing the compression ratio at the time of firing by retarding the timing.

Its as simple as locking the dizzies mechanical advancement and setting it on lik 20-25o BTDC. This will stop you blowing head gaskets,....but not rods! :(

The other option is reducing the compression ratio at the time of firing by retarding the timing.

Its as simple as locking the dizzies mechanical advancement and setting it on lik 20-25o BTDC. This will stop you blowing head gaskets,....but not rods! :(

Sorry dude, you won,t fix an rz by knocking the dissy back, 9.5/1 comp on rods as thick as a pencil won,t work, lock one of these at 25deg and it wont get out of your driveway. check out the 3RZ/2rz dedicated thread on toymods you,ll see what happens to them

hey guys thanks for your help, I'm really not chasing huge horsepower,just enough to draw some smiles. in my travels i see a ute in qld that has had it done, he seems to have done alot aftermarket wise but hasnt touched the engine internals or pistons and things at least (hes done injectors, fuel pump, t4 turbo etc.) He had the exhaust ports ported or something to reduce compression, is this viable and a costly exercise? once again I'm sorry its off topic of corollas just waitn for my toymods membership to come through:)

I reckon the best bet would be leave the head alone, decompress by fitting pistons designed to do the job (forged and lower compression for boost) and fit decent conrods while your at it. Then you would have the basis for a decent turbo motor.