Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Quick Q - Identifying Diffs

Featured Replies

Hey all, we just took a diff out of a KE70 and I was under the impression it was an S series as that is what I was told. But I would just like to know how to identify an S series vs a T series diff? No doubt theres some easy/obvious differences.

 

Pics may help, but whatever.

 

Cheers!

if ur diff is out of a ke70 it will not be a s or t series diff it will be a borgwarner diff

 

a t series diff will have no bolts on the backing plate

 

s series i think has 8 on the backing plate ???

 

all i know is t18, ra40 ta23 and some other models are t series

 

adm ae86 and some others are s series

  • Author

I know its not a borg warner.

 

This diff appears to have no bolts on the backing plate, as in looking from the rear of the car at the diff.

T-series diff: center is held by 10 bolts

S-series diff: center is held by 8 bolts. :lolcry:

  • Author
T-series diff: center is held by 10 bolts

S-series diff: center is held by 8 bolts. :lolcry:

 

Cheers, so look inside the housing and count the bolts.

 

No external indicator?

Cheers, so look inside the housing and count the bolts.

 

No external indicator?

 

 

Look at it from the front, there is a ring of bolts holding the centre of the diff into the housing, count the ring of bolts. If your really stuck I have a loose s and a loose t here I can photograph for you. S and T diffs look very similar, just scaled up/down.

No need to open. They are the bolts seen from front to rear. The ones you would remove to open

  • Author

ahhh right sorry I follow now. I didn't know those bolts held in the centre, but I guess logic dictates they do.

 

Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll get counting next time I see the diff. :lolcry:

S series diffs came in wagon/PV KE70 cars didn't they. So if you removed it from a sedan some one could of swapped a PB diff into the sedan. Other wise my guess with out a picture is a BW diff.

 

Cameron

S series diffs came in wagon/PV KE70 cars didn't they. So if you removed it from a sedan some one could of swapped a PB diff into the sedan. Other wise my guess with out a picture is a BW diff.

 

Cameron

 

But.......?

Arnt......?

 

Panelvan diff.........leaf spring?

sedan diff..............coil spring?

 

cheers phatke30!

will be a AE86 diff if its a "s"

Panel vans have a leaf spring S series, I know my panel van has one which is now Trev's, Also has it stamped on the fire wall.

 

Wagons have a leaf sprung Borg warner.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.