Ke55 Conversion Help

kes.16v

Hey Guys and girls, I'm new on this forum but i have been a member of SRC (sydney rolla club) for awhile now, i drive a ae82 but just got given a KE55..

i have some good plans for this car including a full restore of the body and respray and also tidy the interior up... but my big question is the engine that I'm wanting to put in it.... i have 2 choices.... a CA18DET or a 4AG(T)E......

I'm not after massive power or anything like that just some nice boost action lol..

i need help on which engine is the easiet to fit... and i also need to know what modification needs to be done to run either of those engines...

i have done some research, and if I'm correct if i run te CA18DET i will need to modify the tunnel to allow for the gearbox am i right??? and on the 4age i need to swap to a w series box???

but where I'm having the most trouble is the diff and running gear.. i have NO clue what to run, and what brakes i should be using both front and rear....

my dad is an excellant welder so the engine mounts should be easier enough to cut and reweld into place, < is that a good idea???

sorry for all my questions but i have been trying really hard to research, and also this is my first RWD experience lol...

cheers in advance

Members dont see this ad

you would probably have to massage the tunnel out with the W series box. i'd suggest the CA18DET if you can get a running front cut. since the 4age never came out turbo its a little harder to get all the parts together.

as for the diff, you could get a borgwarner commodore diff cut down which gives you plenty of ratio choices and lsd centres are available and would come with rear discs.

^ life saver lol, i am part of so many forums and that is the best answer i have heard LOL... so the CA18 i can get from my uncle includes gearbox, so i would have to "massage" the tunnel for it to fit right?? and i can get a borgwarner Diff frfom which model commo??? the rear disks are a great thing lol....

thanks heaps mate....

my mate got a v8 VN borg warner cut down to suit his ke20 with brand new discs and brand new LSD for $2000.

u will also need a computer (a standard ECU would come with a front cut) or you could get aftermarket (haltech/microtech etc) if you don't have a complete loom to use.

fuel system, easy to use a surge tank filled by a high flow/low pressure lift pump from your original fuel tank and then use a high pressure pump to feed your fuel rail. check your stock fuel line size.

you will also need some decent front seats to hold you in place.

front brakes / wheels

engineering

write up a budget!

with a turbo engine u will need larger fule lines a swirl pot (fuel catch tank) a lift pump and a preasure pump

i don't think standerd fule lines will fule a 4age

and what do you think a low powerd turbo engine is ca18et is what i'd call friggen fast engine in a ke55

just get a 4age and throw it in

Edited by ae174agze

CA18DET WILL FIT A KE30-55 NO WORRIES NO CUTTING APART FROM A NEW SHIFTER LOCATION. Just need custom x-memeber to bolt it all.

Rn10-13 hilux diff is the correct width or try any borg-warner commo diff ie-vl-vs or r31 skyline.

Check my ke35 ca18 only runs a 12.41 with a slippin clutch though. Plently of info if you read up on my build good luck mate!

CA18DET WILL FIT A KE30-55 NO WORRIES NO CUTTING APART FROM A NEW SHIFTER LOCATION. Just need custom x-memeber to bolt it all.

Rn10-13 hilux diff is the correct width or try any borg-warner commo diff ie-vl-vs or r31 skyline.

Check my ke35 ca18 only runs a 12.41 with a slippin clutch though. Plently of info if you read up on my build good luck mate!

the tunnel require modifiying?

Was urs auto or manual to start?