Adam's Ke70

adam-__-

Finally.. The valve stem seals have been changed. Was all smooth going until it was time to take out the old seals with the long nose pliars I had. Anyway here are some pictures. I followed the guide I posted above, but hopefully these images I took below will help you understand a little bit more.

83063068rt8.jpg

Alright, pull everything off, timing belt, cam gears, valve covers and everything holding it on (follow 4AGE book for detailed instructions).

82603563ki9.jpg

Pull cam shafts out.

36344722pi6.jpg

Remove a cylinder's shim and buckets (I did it on piston 4).

85212793st0.jpg

Get your piece of rope which will be put down the cylinder.

72741537ie4.jpg

Using some sort of stick/wire, shove the rope into your spark plug hole. Make sure piston is on bottom dead centre (or near it) before you put rope in. Once it's in, turn crank clock wise until it stops.

67638067hl6.jpg

Get your valve keeper removal tool.

69223466xx7.jpg

Valve keeper installer side.

56465398zy3.jpg

Remover side. Use this to push down onto the valve 'holder' thing.

10gl8.jpg

You'll get it out and it'll look like this. Keepers will be sucked in by the tool (magnetised).

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11aw5.jpg

This is what it looks like taken out.

12gh2.jpg

This is what your motor looks like once keepers and holder are removed. That's the spring you see.

13qf3.jpg

Remove spring, don't forget which one's the bottom end.

14hq7.jpg

Both sides removed and you can see the old and dirty valve stem seals.

15cf0.jpg

Make sure all your shims, buckets, springs etc are all arranged neatly. They must go back where they came from.

16nn5.jpg

Using long nose pliars or valve stem seal pliars, take out your old seals. I had a bit of trouble because it was in so tight and I kept slipping.

17nd8.jpg

Old and new valve stem seals side by side (from left to right, old, new).

18fk6.jpg

Put a light coat of oil over new seal and place it over the valve stem.

19td9.jpg

Using a deep 10mm socket, push the seal down evenly until a 'click' or 'pop' is heard. Either that or push down till it stops. You don't have to put much force into it.

20ca1.jpg

Left side is new seal done, right is still old seal.

21om7.jpg

Both done.

22mk2.jpg

Keepers and holder when all apart.

23ms8.jpg

Put spring back in the way it came out, place keepers into holder like one of the pictures above and place of spring making sure you don't drop anything. Dropping a keeper down the head could be a major problem (ripping head off then searching for it in the sump).

24jw9.jpg

Push down with your tool. It's only standard springs, but a lot of force is still needed.

It should then look like the way it was. If only one keeper went in properly, make sure you use the tool to remove it then install again with them both out. If it goes in dodgy, take out again.

Photos where taken with a camera which had a broken screen so sorry for dodgy photos.

I could've made a more detailed 'write up' but there's already a few out there.

Changing valve stem seals isn't a hard job if you've got some mechanical knowledge. It would've been a lot harder without the valve keeper removal tool and I would recommend getting the valve stem seal pliars cause the long nose pliars where shit. :cool:

I've gone for a drive and so far so good. Feels bit better (performance wise), but it could've been the new, thinner oil I just did the oil change with or the change of valve clearances (it's a good time to do valve clearance check and fix them where you can).

Bahahaha yeah, a pinky had a blood blister the other got a massive cut while trying to yank the old valve stem seals out. I've had my Hepatitis B and C shots so hopefully the rust doesn't kill me. :2thumbs:

I forgot to mention that I got out bidded on the Nardi and the fixed back seat has been paid for. :cool:

Edit: New seals will be put into my leaking dizzy tomorrow. It's leaking like a bitch.

Edited by adam-__-

Dizzy seals have been replaced. Wasn't too hard to change. Only had trouble unscrewing the two screws inside the dizzy to take out the shaft and drilling out the pin to remove the gear. Apart from that, a pretty easy replacement and I saved $100. :P

Guide to replace seals are in the links below. First link is for big port dizzy and second is for small port.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=8286

http://www.twincam.info/index.php?showtopic=21555

The part numbers for the two seals are 'TC12379VI' and 'BS217' from CBC Bearings. Set me back $6 altogether.

Edited by adam-__-

This car is sik :party:

Thats really good info on the valve seals i second the motion of a mod putting it up 2 make life easier for everyone :P

thats all that cars were designed to do is take ya money, chew it up, spit it out then start over again, then hurt u phsically and hurt your wallet big time but the end product is always worth the cash and time spent on it :cool:

Hrmm after reading your replies, I'm starting to think I should've done a proper write up. There's already some around, but instead of people linking to other forums, if I had written one up, people would link to rollaclub? More people on rollaclub=more money? :cool: I'll see what I can do...

Putting cams all back was a piece of cake (following the guide in the 4AGE manual). The first time I had the head off/apart I had a bit of trouble getting the timing right because I don't have the timing belt casing which has the markings on it, but yeah I've learnt how to get the timing right without one. Dizzy was just marked and put back to its original position.

Plans for it now is to just install the seat I've got coming, new tyres and then probably a new steering wheel. :P

I got bored today so I pulled my front 8kg springs out and reinstalled my lower '8kg' springs. It's now tucking tyre and feels like shit to drive compared to the real 8kg springs. Feels really sloppy.

This is how it looks like now.

forsale007hh2.jpg

forsale008hg0.jpg

forsale009ro7.jpg

These photos were taken by that stuffed screen camera and it looks a little blurry for some reason.

8kg springs and Sierra shocks are for sale! Buy buy! Own a bit of this car's history.. :)