Mitch's Ke70

Mybowlcut

By the way is it a 32/36????? cos they reckon there too big........ i got one and it works lol...

There pretty gay a low rpm (gurgle and backfire) but real good high up..

Yeah 32/36. Yeah pretty much exactly the same as mine... does have quite a bit of power once you get past the backfiring and flat spots... :\

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with RA60 struts is the king pin inclination angle/stub axle angle is different to the corolla's. So once installed, the front wheels will have positive camber.

I haven't installed the RA60 ones personally, but enough people have warned against them that I'd rather use XT130 ones. No camber plate/control arm fix required.

Phil

If you put T18 lower control arms on it brings things back to almost what it was factory

later

p

I rang a place in Perth today and the guy said that there is no way a carby can be jetted over the phone properly... he said that no two engines are "the same". I believe him too, especially since it's running crap. He's going to take a look tomorrow morning.

Edit: message from Matt from Gem parts:

The carb was jetted as follows: 185 165 air 125 120 fuel 50 50 idle which is the setting we have used on 100's of these engines. Its definately not too rich in fact even 3K's can run on those settings. I would strongly recommend you have a professional instal the carb as clearly it has not been installed correctly. I would say almost certainly that you have vacume leaks with it idling roughly as you say. This is the most common problem with carb installations. You need to remove the carb make absolutely certain the manifold is 100% clean and straight apply a thin bead of quality silicone to ensure a perfect seal and re-fit the carb with the fuel bowl facing the front of the car. Once it is installed with the car not running hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and check both barrels are fully open - if not adjust the linkages. The carb then needs to be properly tuned - mixture and idle screws adjusted as per standard carb runing proceedure and the timing advanced. The plastic part you enquire about is just an idle jet holder. Regards

What do you guys reckon about that?

Edited by Mybowlcut

from memory on my 4k i had 180/170 air jets 140/130 fuel jets... and thats a 4k so yours should be at least that being a 5k!?
I dunno man it's running pretty rich already I think... but I honestly have very little knowledge about this stuff. :)

Going by superjamie's guide:

A Weber 32/36 DGV is the most common aftermarket downdraft around. Usually you'll need to jet down a carburettor like this, unless someone has already done the work for you, or you have a fairly modified engine. For a 3K/4K, start at around 130 mains, 170 air jets, 50 idle and take it from there. Basic tuning tips: If the car "stumbles" forward but revs eventually climb, you're running too rich. If the car just cuts and dies, you're running too lean.
Edited by Mybowlcut

The guy I spoke to knew his stuff... obviously I'm not going to be able to explain it as well as him, but he pretty much said that most Webers are not going to work well on these engines. He said something about the restrictors being too large. He showed me the point at which the jets were lettting out fuel and we had to rev it to 3 grand to see any fuel come out... which explains why the car stutters and backfires at lower speeds and revs. There was a vacuum leak (a big one) between the intake manifold and the engine which he eliminated a bit by tightening some nuts. I do not like talking on behalf of people especially when I lack the knowledge to articulate it, but basically he said I'd be better off putting the standard one back on... he said the Weber is better but not as good as it could be... or something like that. I dunno. He's going on holidays but when he gets back I've asked him to write down why a weber isn't that great of a choice so I don't distort his explanation of it.

I'm gonna leave it on for a while but I'm most likely gonna sell it as it's crap down low and I don't want that for my daily.

• 3 weeks later...