Team Science Ninja Racing Ke35 Corolla

silverra23

Here are a couple of pics from the day. Need a bigger zoom!

img0322iq2.jpg

img0320bl7.jpg

Got faster as the day went on - first session i did a very slow 2.12.4, my fourth session I did a 2.07.6 - still got plenty of time in me still too.

No dramas for me which was great. Can't say the same for a guy in an Evo road car who put it on its lid and wrote it off...poor bugger.

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to prep for a Hillclimb at Phillip Island in just over two weeks.

A mate has just started a fabrication business so I got him to make me a few bits.

A foot rest

img1039j.jpg

A tailshaft loop (it looks freaking enormous for my little car!!)

img1037bzt.jpg

Oil catch can

img1036iln.jpg

Will post up some pics when they are all fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran at the Phillip Island Hill Climb on Sunday.

What a cracker of an event! 8 runs were available and you get 2/3rds of a lap as they start at Honda and use the start finish line.. and you can press on and do nearly a full lap despite a chicane before turn 1 and turn 3. Its a massive challenge to get yourself off the line quickly with no heat in the tyres and through the amazing sequence of corners that makes up the back part of the GP circuit..Then you get to go flat out through the last two turns and end up going rather rapidly down the straight. Magic magic magic.

I got faster for most of the day, first run was a1.17.something... which I got down to a 1.12.95 on my fifth run. 6th and 7th runs were a bit slower - 1.13.16 and I elected to go home after that rather than run the 8th.

Car was ultra-reliable again. Had a moment or two on the track which was fun rather than changing the undies scary...

If I had a log book I think my times would have put me 2nd in the 0-1600cc Improved Production class, which is where the car would run. However in the non-log book class I was 4th I think - there were some serious cars in that class.

Will post up some pics and vids tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Ready for a Sprint day tomorrow at Sandown.

Did an oil change and plug change last weekend, as well as the front wheel bearings. Everything else looks hunky dory.

Taken a couple of photos for my sponsor - Outlaw Welding - so he can see his sticker on the car. He is a mate that has done a couple of jobs for me. If anyone needs fabrication done in Melbourne PM me for his details!

img1231.jpg

img1232.jpg

img1233.jpg

img1234n.jpg

img1236m.jpg

img1236m.jpg

Last one shows how damned fantastic Autosol is... makes my wheels all nice and shiny :P

Before

img1237.jpg

After

img1238.jpg

Well Sandown was interesting. I only got 3 runs in the day as there were long delays all day.

The car didn't really like the bumps, and I never quite got my rhythm around the place and as a consequence wasn't real smooth.

My best time was a 1.38.74 which was a long way off a VTEC powered Civic doing a 1.29.07 :) I like Phillip Island better!

Anyways here are some shots. You can see the car is rolling a lot - time to do some suspension work I think. Meant I was lifting a wheel coming on to the main straight and getting oversteer.

There is also a shot of a very nice RX3 that was there on the day.

Lined up for an observation lap

img0500f.jpg

img0502r.jpg

img0513w.jpg

On the track

img0894y.jpg

img1252e.jpg

img1263.jpg

Wheel in the air

img1187.jpg

Oversteer as a result

img1191c.jpg

RX3

img1224b.jpg

All photos taken and copyright to Neroli Henderson. Thanks Neroli!

Edited by silverra23

In-car footage of Sandown antics!

Three different angles. First one doesnt show too much and is slow as I am stuck behind a V8 Capri. Second one is better, and the third one you get to see me have a little off and get blown away by big hairy V8's!

Decided the front struts need to come out for a few reasons:

1. I don't know what insert is inside them, and I have a suspicion what ever they are is very tired and contributing to my body roll and general handling issues.

2. Brakes proved to be a little inadequate at Sandown so I think its time to go XT130 strut and caliper with the peugeot rotor. I have had this sitting in the garage for eons.

3. If everything comes together in time, I might convert to coil over at the same time.

So pulled it all apart today. Was easier than I thought - I am always a bit nervous about things I have never done before! Will take everything to work on Monday and rate the springs so I have some idea of what is in there, and get the inserts out. I am hoping they are a Koni like the rear is so that they can be rebuilt, but time will tell!

Anyways here a few pics showing the removal:

Strut in the car, with brake caliper removed. Remember to clamp off the brake line and then disconnect it too:

img1245.jpg

Bottom of the strut - there are two bolts you need to undo here, this is where one was.

img1242.jpg

Next step - undo the three bolts holding the strut top to the body

img1241.jpg

Then push the control arm/sway bar down and then pull the strut out of the car. It will look like this:

img1239.jpg

What is left in the car will look like this. I need to work out what control arm is in there and whether I need to replace it with a Corona one, along with the steering knuckle:

img1246.jpg

Then using spring compressors I took the strut tops off and removed the springs so that I can rate them, and work out what spring I will need for my coil overs. Interestingly I discovered one side of the car had a bump stop in it, the other didnt. Very odd!

Here is the reason why a Corona strut and brake package will be soooo much better than a Corolla one!

img1247w.jpg

Edited by silverra23