Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

looking good, nice progress!

Cheers mate.

I see, I would probably want to redo at least my roof and guards one day, may even do the whole car to get it looking nice overall.

Would 400 grit be too harsh to start off with? I've tried 1200 grit, wet, but it wont get rid of the stubborn bits of lacquer, or do i just need to spend more time on the wheels with the 1200 grit?

I started with 400 and then did 800 and 1200. If they are badly scored I would even consider starting coarser than 400. I used 120 grit a while back to remove some bad markings from the wheels. As long as you work your way down the grades you will be fine.

Members dont see this ad

Hey guys,

I have progressed a bit more this weekend but the photos really don't do justice to the hours spent!

I wet rubbed all of the panels and spent quite some time on removing part of the dash so I can freshen it up. Unfortunately I have had a few rub throughs so I will need to touch them up soon.

Later this arvo a mate came round and helped me have a first cut at the roof, bloody stoked with how it is looking. Thanks Mike!

I need to finish wet rubbing to remove all the orange peel/pitting and then I can re-hang the panels and cut + polish. Getting close now but there are still many man hours to go.

IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Recently with the help of a few mates I hung the panels on the car. I have also been wet rubbing and cutting the paint, there is still a bit to go.

Yesterday I dropped my old headlining to the trimmer so he could use it as a template. The new one will be velour in "sandalwood" which is a creamy/beige colour. I am hoping that the velour headlining will be a bit easier to fit than vinyl, and hopefully it won't look too out of place. I am also getting new wheel arch trims.

I expect the trimmer might hold me up a bit, he was fairly slow when he did the seats. I will have to keep on his case!

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

Thats come out awesome and its not even finished yet! I understand your comment about spending time wet sanding and polishing hour after hour, did it on the ke70 and still the photos don't it justice.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product,

Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers gents.

I will be getting stuck in again this weekend with some more polishing and I might put some of the rubbers and glass back in. Then I will just be waiting on the headlining, I will call the trimmer on Friday to hassle him.

I doubt I will make it to winterfest at this rate...

boner just thinking about it

Ahahaha I'm pretty keen about seeing it finished too mate!

I didn't get anything done yesterday due to a bit of a hangover, but today I progressed a bit more with the wet rubbing/polishing. Hopefully I will finish the rest of the polishing next weekend.

Hi guys, the drivers and passenger's windows and winder mechanisms are now fitted with new bailey channel. Spent a bit of time messing about adjusting them and lubing them up, but now they operate fairly smoothly. I also fitted the door handles (inner and outer) and lock mechanisms, these also required a bit of loosening up.

Hopefully I can take a day off work this week and then I can make up a new boot divider and parcel shelf, and also clean up the boot and dash top panel.

It was great seeing all the cars at Toyota Winterfest today, gave me plenty of new ideas and spurred the motivation again. I even came across a KE20 that was very similar to my car at the start of the build. It was a bit of a deja-vu experience!

just read the whole thing.. well most of it.. I definately looked at all the pictures ;)

i hope mine doesnt take this long.. I am trying to not be a perfectionist though, which i normally am.

Cheers mate, it doesn't have to take this long! I just had a few hold ups and learnt some lessons the hard way..

I fitted the front door seals the other day and re-painted the boot. Still needs beltline molds, screens, 1/4 windows, parcel shelf etc. Still waiting on the bloody trimmer!

IMAG0500.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

IMAG0502.jpg

Cheers mate, sure is! Pity I will be running bogan spec sidewalls for a while.

Good news recieved today is that my hassling of the trimmer has worked! He has now finished my headlining, and I called Peter Robinson and he should be able to help me with the clips.

More pics/updates soon. :)

Cheers mate, sure is! Pity I will be running bogan spec sidewalls for a while.

Good news recieved today is that my hassling of the trimmer has worked! He has now finished my headlining, and I called Peter Robinson and he should be able to help me with the clips.

More pics/updates soon. :)

Peter's great! He solved a massive headache with my master cylinder on my 11 years ago. I'll be visiting him soon to see if he can sort me out with the last little bits I need for the trim in mine.

Edited by kickn5k