Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Stu. What date is the cruise? I might be down but I really should get into this again. My next free weekend for the car will be the 10th :/

Might have to try and work weeknights if the weather stays warm.

Pretty sure it's Saturday the 18th of Feb. I'll understand if your working on it. Once paint is done it will feel like the project is flying.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have had a bit more progress today/yesterday. Rubbed back more guidecoat and put another coat of highfill on some areas. I am aiming to put aside the second weekend in March and finish the primer work, and then with any luck I'll be ready to topcoat by the end of the weekend.

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Also this afternoon I went and checked on my seats that I have been storing under tarps on my balcony and found a few friendly possums!

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

Shes getting close :D

Rolling guards before topcoat? probably a good idea?

Yeah cheers, I'm gonna take next Friday off and smash out the rest of the final prep over the weekend (weather depending).

These wheels are ok for clearance but I spose that would be a good idea in the long run, otherwise I was considering cutting the inner lip instead later on.

I was also worried about cracking filler etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I had a really productive weekend and am looking pretty close now. I rubbed back the roof, bootlid and a few other panels and hit the whole lot in highfill. I then removed the bonnet, doors and bootlid and sanded the back of all these and highfilled them along with the door jams. I also lipped all the gaurds with reasonable success and spot filled some scratch marks.

I would like to give the car another look over for any little scratches etc and also re-do the panel around the radiator where rust has come through the primer. I hope that with one more day spent on it this weekend and then I will be ready for topcoat ! :D

I will try and let the thinners rise out of the highfill as much as possible before putting colour on, but I also want to get it done before the weather gets crap again. It will be a fine balance.

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, the time has come!

Bloody stoked with today's progress, I have got colour on the door jams, boot jam, back of the doors, front valence, tops of guards, bonnet and bootlid. Now I need to paint the hinges and sort some zinc coating of bolts etc, and then re-hang all the panels and finish putting the colour on! :D

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0242-1.jpg

IMAG0244-1.jpg

IMAG0246-1.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cheers fellas, just need to paint the hinges and re-hang the doors etc and then I can put the coats on the rest of the car. I also need to choose the shade of gunmetal metallic to do my blackouts in. I'm looking at painting my window frames and b pillars a gunmetal colour and also doing my wheels and some of the plastics to suit.

I'm so glad I chose the original white, it's far less bland than I remember and has a nice light creamy/yellow tint to it. Still thinking about doing the pearl over the top but I will most likely use a booth for that. Hopefully the silver will really "pop" next to the pearl.

Well guys the rest of the white is now done! I had a few dramas with the gun playing up early today but once I sorted that, things went pretty smoothly. I also managed pretty good gloss off the gun so I'm stoked about that. I have used a heap of paint though, 6L of white so far!

I opted to paint the panels off the car so I can let the hinges and jams harden up as much as possible before re-assembly.

Turns out I can't do a pearl either. The bloke at the paint shop informed me that with acrylic it is usually done in the basecoat and nobody makes it anymore! All the manufacturers are phasing out acrylic so blokes like me will need to switch to 2pak in future.

Now I need to paint the gunmetal "black outs" and a few other things and then I can start reassembly. Excuse the french but I'm ʞ©$ɟing stoked! It has been a long time coming and a few obstacles to get to this stage. The car is by no means perfect but I have learnt a lot, and can proudly say that I did it myself. GOOD AS!!! :D

IMAG0267-1.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

• Upvote 1