Bluey's Rebuild.

Redwarf

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you find the Dunlops? I was looking at using them on the new car, except using the proper steers on the front.....

Getting there, off to Auto Elec (Thank you Pete, Alexander's Auto Electrics, Petrie) on Friday. We're mostly good, just, as you say, little ancillary things to go, but the car has already been run, so most thing are in there.

Yellow car looks good... 4K or 2T-G?

The tyre of choice is the Yokohama AO35 (they are what are on there at the moment).

We don't use the groove because as the tyre wears the leading edge can be pushed over into the groove.

Tried the dunlops - SP73s on the front (steers) and SP 84s on the back. Not bad, but they felt the Yokis were better. Added advantage is that you can put them on the back after you have worn them down a little. I think the word was the steers worked fairly well, but you lost braking.

Personally the only tyres I have tried have been the old silverstones (crap - can't comment on the new ones), GR17s (OK) and the AO35s (very good).

I think it is personal preference though as some people love them.

Car itself is a 4K with twin 40 DCOEs, electronic ignition, big four wheel discs, 4.9 ratio. Awesome in the handling department, and braking is phenomenal. Extremely capable (3rd outright VCRS-1 and too many top 3 stage times to mention!)

I'll get some more photos soon

PS - will be for sale very soon!

Edited by Raynman

My mistake, they looked like the SP84 Pattern.

I know what you mean about rotation, too. Mine used to go front, back, scrap.

I'm just about to try the Dunlop's, although my nav is trying to get me onto Kuhmo's, except I can't stand their rep.....

I've been on Bridgestones (great but a little big), Falkens (excellent but don't make them anymore), and Silverstones (reasonable....). It is VERY much a personal preference....

I'm giving it twelve months to sort the new car.....

Edited by Redwarf

I am completely unsure about the kuhmos - I have heard the R700s are very good in the wet, but their side grip is not that good.

I still can't get a straight answer about whether the R800s come in a 14".

I would be tempted to try a R800, but wouldn't touch the R700s in the dry (they look like a GR17 copy)

R700's actually look a lot like the S55 Silverstones as well. The roads up here are very different to the one's used in Victoria. Alot more chngeable and a lot rougher. Most people tend to go for more open patterns, or grooving. That was the issue I had with the S505 Silverstones, the pattern was too close together, even with cuts in them.

Meh, I'll try the Dunlops......

Edited by Redwarf

hmm robbo, looking over the pics again, and now with raynman selling his rally car, it's got me and andrea thinking about having a go at rally and using the panelvan.

course we know it'll be a long road to get started.. but i think we'll probably come talk to the master.. you :lock:

Piece of advice No 1: Buy Raynman's car, it'll be cheaper than building a rally car of your own. Think about it, Roll cage $1500, seats $1000, Webers, $700. Lite ace diff, tyres, tripmeter, driving lights.... it all adds up. It's a good price for a good car. $500 to get it up from Melbourne!!