Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke70 Heater Doesn't Work

Featured Replies

That thing pointing up is the thermostat. If its stuck, sticka screwdriver through the middle section and give it a yank and it should come out.

 

Make sure you totally clean both the surfaces of the thermostat housing before putting it back together and make sure you put the thermostat in the same way as the old one came out.

  • Replies 66
  • Views 95.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author
That thing pointing up is the thermostat. If its stuck, sticka screwdriver through the middle section and give it a yank and it should come out.

 

Make sure you totally clean both the surfaces of the thermostat housing before putting it back together and make sure you put the thermostat in the same way as the old one came out.

Cheers for the advice!

 

I finally found out that the gasket hadn't worn away but was stuck onto the metal reallllly well. I was sitting there for ages with a blade getting all of it off. This is what it came out like.. could probably go for a bit longer if you guys think it's necessary?

post-5027-1209537322_thumb.jpg

 

Once I got the gasket off, the thermostat came out easily.

post-5027-1209537364_thumb.jpg

 

make sure you put the thermostat in the same way as the old one came out.
Could you please elaborate on that a bit? I'm not aware of how I pulled it out to be honest. :rocknroll:

 

Cheers!

  • Author

I've stuck the gasket onto the engine thingy... As in I didn't put it on the thermostat housing I put it on the engine. I'm trying to put the thermostat in but it doesn't clip in or anything... it just sits there loosely. I'm pretty sure it's the right one as I told Coventrys what I wanted and they got it... The part no is TT240-180 and some other stuff says 52mm 180f. Is it supposed to sit there loosely or... ?

 

post-5027-1209542293_thumb.jpg

 

post-5027-1209542272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mybowlcut

I've stuck the gasket onto the engine thingy... As in I didn't put it on the thermostat housing I put it on the engine. I'm trying to put the thermostat in but it doesn't clip in or anything... it just sits there loosely. I'm pretty sure it's the right one as I told Coventrys what I wanted and they got it... The part no is TT240-180 and some other stuff says 52mm 180f. Is it supposed to sit there loosely or... ?

 

 

Personally I'm not a big fan of gaskets. The surfaces can, after 20 years become deteriorated. Thats why I prefer Bluemax, its a high temp silicon product which will not be as bothered about whether the two surfaces are pistine. Gaskets need two straight surfaces to connect to.

 

Thats how I would do it.

 

The thermostat should just sit centered on the motor and then the housing pins it there? I think thats how it seems to work? Not sure on a 4k, anyone?

Yep, thats exactly how it works. Thermostat in, then gasket on, then tighten it up :rocknroll:

 

don't overtighten or you'll end up snapping the bolt off in the thread and thats a big bad no no.

Another thing Ive forgotten in my haste. Its a good idea to go to Dick Smiths and grab a probe type thermometer to use to test the thermostat. We've com this far so why not invest in a Gregorys manual to explain these types of things correctly.

 

The thermostat will be designed to open at a certain temperature. I'm guessing 180 farenheit, by what you have written. I think you should heat it up slowly in a saucepan and see if it opens at 180f. Not sure if its correct for a 4k, need a manual for that, or someone who knows, lol. Faq perhaps?

  • Author
Personally I'm not a big fan of gaskets. The surfaces can, after 20 years become deteriorated. Thats why I prefer Bluemax, its a high temp silicon product which will not be as bothered about whether the two surfaces are pistine. Gaskets need two straight surfaces to connect to.

 

Thats how I would do it.

 

The thermostat should just sit centered on the motor and then the housing pins it there? I think thats how it seems to work? Not sure on a 4k, anyone?

I've tried to follow what you and everyone else have said and finally I have noooooo money left. I would do what you say but I gotta go with a gasket since I am broke and need this car to be running by tonight.

 

Yep, thats exactly how it works. Thermostat in, then gasket on, then tighten it up :rocknroll:

 

don't overtighten or you'll end up snapping the bolt off in the thread and thats a big bad no no.

Awesome so it can just sit in there? It does fit it's just not like... stuck in there kinda thing. By tighten up do you mean tighten the housing onto the motor?

 

Another thing Ive forgotten in my haste. Its a good idea to go to Dick Smiths and grab a probe type thermometer to use to test the thermostat. We've com this far so why not invest in a Gregorys manual to explain these types of things correctly.

 

The thermostat will be designed to open at a certain temperature. I'm guessing 180 farenheit, by what you have written. I think you should heat it up slowly in a saucepan and see if it opens at 180f. Not sure if its correct for a 4k, need a manual for that, or someone who knows, lol. Faq perhaps?

Once again I'd love to but the money situation is badddd.
  • Author

Got a leak in my bypass hose but I can't figure out where it's coming from... apart from that I think I've done everything right... will turn the car on soon. :rocknroll:

  • Author

She's running! Woohoo! One leak that should go away once I tighten up the hose clamp... Thanks so much for all your help guys! Would've been heaps of screw ups if I didn't have your help! The ticking sound that my car has had for a while seems to have gotten louder... probably just me being paranoid but I'll record a short clip and see what you guys think it could be.

 

Edit: Hahahahaha oh yeah the heater works too! :rocknroll: Hahaha.

Edited by Mybowlcut

She's running! Woohoo! One leak that should go away once I tighten up the hose clamp... Thanks so much for all your help guys! Would've been heaps of screw ups if I didn't have your help! The ticking sound that my car has had for a while seems to have gotten louder... probably just me being paranoid but I'll record a short clip and see what you guys think it could be.

 

Edit: Hahahahaha oh yeah the heater works too! :rocknroll: Hahaha.

 

 

Well done mate. Mission accomplished!

 

Hose clamps take up to 3 attempts to tighten with a screwdriver.

  • Author
Well done mate. Mission accomplished!

 

Hose clamps take up to 3 attempts to tighten with a screwdriver.

Cheers haha!

 

Attempts as in... leak 2 times get it right the last? Haha.

 

Someone should make a how-to guide for this sort of thing.. replace a thermostat or unclog heater pipes, etc. They could use my photos if they wanted. I could even do it!

Edited by Mybowlcut

that's why everyone owns at least one Gregory's manual for their rolla's...i have 3 for my ke20 and 2 for the ke55.

Well done dude :rocknroll:

 

Yeah i agree Gregory's manual's are the way to go

 

I'd be happy on writing up a piece on how to replace a thermostat, how to flush an engine, sadly its my area of expertise, though I'm not overly experted (new word) on it all, just cause of my job really.

 

But for someone who wasnt sure initially you did good man

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.