Custom Built 4k Upright Motor Fitting

now befor all you old people start telling me to read the FAQ, :D shut up cos i carn recite the dam thing.

Now as much as i know the K block sits on a 30 degree angel, as for using the stock gearbox it would be possible to just weld up a hollow 30 degree box and run a bolt through that to mount it to the cross member and over fill the gear box oil through the top of the gear stick (take it off and fill with oil than bolt back on).

as for the engine mounts, just cut off the short one and use another drivers side mount and add a little extra steel. if the engine sits too high than instead of raising 1 side, drop the other, will have to burn that bridge when i cross it.

I'm using extractors so a little bit of an angel wont kill it but for the intake, maybe face the manifold 90 degrees to the carbie so it will sit level. if it hits on the extractors than do the same to it, psoblem gone.

as for the gear shifter, find the lowest point on the stick that wont hit the side of the chassie tunel and bend it 30 degrees so you can use the stock interior parts, change the radiator hosing a bit. I'm using a thermo fan so no problems there and the clutch cabel has a bit of slack so tilting will use maybe another 20cm or so, no biggy. :)

this is what i plan on doing with my car and if people are interested in it i will keep this updated as i go along.

so as i said, has anyone done this just for some tips if iv misst something... :P:

the only thing i am stuck on is the oil pick up thingy mugigy, does this have to be bent or something or lengthened if so what will fit it? this is my ony problem and i bet its the worst... :)

Edited by [email protected]

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious what is motivating you to put the engine upright?

as for the oil pickup I don't know K engines but I am betting that the best what to do it is to reweld the sump so the bottom is flat with the ground and the the oil pickup is also.

the pistons are pushed in to the bolck on there way up on the stroke, this wears down the rings. also when say doing a burnout 360's all the oil gets pushed to 1 side or the sump and oil is forsed up into the head and it pools there and than gets sucked out through the exhaust and you get a smocky engine it nearly hapened to me but my motor was already on its way out..

as for the extra oil returns no I'm soure you wont need it but there is a pice in the head that you chould grind smooth to get a beta oil flow.

now i think the only problem with the oil pickup is that when the engine is vertical, the pickup wont get a lot of oil once a lot of it is flowing around the engine already so this has to get lowered, I'm thinking 3" il cut the pickup stem and use a pice of tuff rubber hose and some high quality clamps and sealent for this and wrape wire around the pipe and put another 2 clamps on it to stop it from flexing/fall of lol... iv got it all sused...

just 1 other thing. i no that the gearbox dosnt bolt to the x member so iv started to desighn a rubber lined steel band that will clamp the box down the the x member alnag with a wedg that will be welded to the x member, a pice of another x member so as the stock bump on the botom of the gear box will fall in to it like it normaly would and my clamp that i have only drawn out will act like an exhuast clamp and will hold the box in place on its new 30 degree angel with a 1/2" rubber in it so as not to crush the casing...

ok i don't really get what you were trying to say there. i came acros an old post that you had with a few pics and it looked good the way you did your x membar, do you have a little more info on how to do the x membar like the clearance things like that.

the engine mounts will be simple after the box is set right.

I have never done this to my car before, I'm just telling you how I have seen it done to another car before.

I think you will find it is easier to do the gearbox mount last.

Undo the 2 inner bolts that hold the rubber mount to the gearbox crossmember, The get the motor upright where you want it, Then go back to setting the gearbox mount..

Don't quote me on this, But I think this is an actual K upright gearbox mount, Maybe Chris or Tony can confirm it..

hachi_xx2003_img600x285_1199807800kp61resize0056.jpg

thats beautiful that is. its just a flat pice of steel with a little raised bit on the box mount side, must be to help with the clearance. on that matter its thin so if it did have to be broped a little i could just ad cuts of steel with a hole in it to let the box have a little room to twist a little. thats a pice of piss to make thanks... oh but does the engine sit on a 30 degree angel I'm soure it is...

too easy than I'm going to cut the gear stick at the lowest point soas it won hit the sides of the chassie ans weld a new extension on so i don't have a big lengthy stick like it would be stock and just weld that on at a 25-35 degree angel, depends on the clearance iv got so i don't have the gear knob in my knob lol...

what are your thoughts on the oil return feed, i have one of those ones with the 2 pipes on it and i thik i just have to lengthen it to reach the oil in the sump?

Edited by [email protected]

just curious what is motivating you to put the engine upright?

as for the oil pickup I don't know K engines but I am betting that the best what to do it is to reweld the sump so the bottom is flat with the ground and the the oil pickup is also.

it was a semi common practice to tilt the motor upright to be able to more easily fit twin sidedraught webers without putting a hole in the strut tower...