Rb20det Ke30

Killerolla

Hi everyone i have been looking at the many options for an engine conversion on my KE30. I can get my hands on a very cheap rb20det just wanting to know if it would be legal, i know that i should be able to put a 2 litre in the rolla but does it go on the amount of cylinders or the engine capacity or both?????

Cheers thanks in advance

Edited by Killerolla

Members dont see this ad
Hi everyone i have been looking at the many options for an engine conversion on my KE30. I can get my hands on a very cheap rb20det just wanting to know if it would be legal, i know that i should be able to put a 2 litre in the rolla but does it go on the amount of cylinders or the engine capacity or both?????

Cheers thanks in advance

Dude, find an engineer... Hunt down one who will agree with the conversion in theory... Before you talk to them, make sure you know what you're doing (or thinking of doing) with every aspect of the build, and make sure to give particular emphasis to safety... Brake upgrades, chassis stiffening, wheel size (wider for better traction) engine mounts etc... Give as much info as possible, and at least try and give them the impression you're not totally nuts, and have legitimate reason for wanting to give this a shot...

Once you got one of these boys in your corner, getting it approved and street legal will be a whole stack easier... Remember too, the legislation is different for each state, so read up on it!!! The more you can demonstrate your knowledge of the ADR's and Modification Legislation to your state licencing body, the greater your chances will be...

Another thing I've found that will help... Remember, the people you want to approve your modification are government workers... They'll appreicate it no end if you do three simple things...

1) Have a good attitude towards them... They know their position of power, so play up to that... show them what you've got in mind, and humbly ask what they see, in their infinite wisdom, you might have overlooked.

2) Make their job easy... When going in for the ol' compliance check, make sure everything is clean, make sure to be helpful... Pop the bonnet for them before they ask, make sure the engine isn't too hot (park around the corner and get a coffee while it cools down) so they can inspect your engine mounts without too much trouble, and DEFINATELY make sure all the necessary paperwork is completed and present!!!

3) PAY!!! as long as you are ready to hand over the folding without question, they'll be happy... Hand them the papers and the money at the same time, and they'll happily tick things off to make sure the money goes into the till asap.

Might be easier looking at the non-turbo version too... Here in WA they have a formula for working out the compensated engine capacity for turbo engines and rotaries... not sure about other states...

A 13B N/A engine here i think is rated as a 2.2L engine, and a 13B turbo, from memory is calculated to be equivelant to about 3L of N/A engine... :poke:

But yeah, read up on it in your state's legislation.

You will need to find an engineer in your state because each and every state has different laws to the power to weight ratio in cars. You WILL need a blue mod plate if you actually do this conversion. I have heard of people doing this conversion before so I wouldn't say it is impossible either.

Try and do a little research first, ring up your state transport department, find an engineer and do all the talking and planing first.

Well i have a mechanic that will do the conversion and i have heard in Qld that if the car weights 1000kg for turbo you multiply that by 2.5 which makes in 2.5 litre so i thought because the ke30 is just under that i would go for the rb20det if it was 1000kg i would go the 2.5dett but its not :poke:

a mate of mine is putting a RB30 in his AE71 atm using an RB20 box. he's had to cut out the trans tunnel right up to the cross brace in the middle as thats where the shifter sits. the rb20 and rb30 blocks are the same size.

even to get the motor to fit exactaly 10mm from the firewall and 20mm from the rad support the engine mounts had to lean the engine 70mm fwd then stock mounts.

it's really not worth it unless you do all your own fabrication and don't plan on it being legal.

think about the lack of powersteering too.

23042008484.jpg

23032008411.jpg

23032008412.jpg

06042008441.jpg

the rb20 and rb30 blocks are the same size.

The RB30 has a higher deck height but yea length wise they're the same (which is the important bit anyway).

That cars freaking spastic. I assume its just going to be a drag car?

Hi,

According to NSW legislation and Peter Gillard (registered engineer, you can find him on the RTA web site) the following formula is used:

3cc/kg – Naturally aspirated

2.5cc/kg – Forced induction

So if you in NSW get you rego papers out, find the tare weight, and calculate.

Also as mentioned above brakes, chassie strengthening, suspension etc will be required.

To sum it all up, Research & more research.

P.S. there is always exceptions to the rules.

Cheers.

I would be suprised if you can find a qld engineer to blue plate this i would find at least two people that will before and before you start and have some serious decussions with both first, The reason for two is incase one closes up shop leaving you high and dry

How much???

Well as far as i have been told by engineers its not going to happen. They suggested a 2.7 ltre hilux engine has anyone done this before also i have been looking where to find a half cut and have no idea where to find one.

Edited by Killerolla

How much???

Well as far as i have been told by engineers its not going to happen. They suggested a 2.7 ltre hilux engine has anyone done this before also i have been looking where to find a half cut and have no idea where to find one.

like this one

post-4088-1211524567_thumb.jpg