Ramflo Filters - Anyone Recommend, Or Advise Against?

philbey

Hey guys,

I noticed a post a few days back where someone advised against Ramflo air filters. I figured that the element itself is the problem?

Anyway after measuring up my engine bay, I reckon Ramflos with the offset will be the easiest fit for my twin DHLAs, but I wanted to see what people think?

If the elements in them are crap, I figured I will just by the Unifilter replacement items to go in there?

Cheers

tom.

Edited by philbey

Members dont see this ad

philby, would you mind posting up pics of how much room you have with the twins sans trumpets/filters.

i'm nearing making a decision on what to buy for my twins. they're on a very short manifold, so i might be able to get away with trumpets and socks (if i'm lucky)

so long as whatever you get fits, i can't see having filters being a bad thing. unless you want to be pedantic and only drive during ideal conditions without filters at all!

dF

Yeh for sure. I took pics cos I knew people would want to see them!

What sort of twins have you got - Webers or dellortos, and what manifold?

These are 40mm DHLAs with a Redline manifold. In one Pic, you can see a 50mm block between the carbs and the strut tower. The closest point is at number 3 throat. You could belt the strut tower in of course, but thats dodgy!

post-2873-1211529054_thumb.jpg

post-2873-1211529135_thumb.jpg

post-2873-1211529200_thumb.jpg

Do you mean unifilter or uniflow? I've never heard of uniflow

I live about 5 mins from unifilter factory and i might get one of these for my Dellorto setup

If i can be of any help as i live so close then let me know (this goes for any other members also)

Edited by KE ping it real

So if the foam brakes up and its done the same with me on another car I “had” and M&M says ram flow is no good and id think the same in your case, how about customizing it a little and use 4 K&Ns pods, the small, short ones. They give a lot of air flow and last a long time and you won’t be sucking in little bits of foam and replacing twice a year. It would cost the same as 2 foam ones but you know its gona work good and last twice as long. Would look cool too.

Just a thought. Shane

Do you mean unifilter or uniflow? I've never heard of uniflow

Same thing - uniflow make unifilters. Really good range as well, check out www.uniflow.com.au

As stated they arent the best filter, I got mine with my carbies but the foam will be getting changed to a finer filter filter.

Yep, that was the plan. Finer are made by Uniflow as well.

Shane, not a bad idea. Cost wise though I reckon I'd be lucky to get kitted out with K&N stuff for less than 200 bucks. And I don't think I'll fit it. I also want Frontal filter area, not perimeter area, so I can run short stacks inside the filter without choking.

Personally, I reckon the Ramflo's look shit hot on an old school engine as well, especially round ones on SUs.

I've used Ramflo filters in the past, and besides having had to reinforce the foam filter with chicken wire inside the filter itself due to my own dodgey half-hacked attempts at "performance tuning", I've never experienced any trouble with them at all........

They are my #1 choice for a Ram Air Induction setup, and a close second for anything else (within reason, diesel trucks don't count).

Just my opinion though, and I genuinely know SFA about anything mechanical......

Ramflo's are ok, but obviously not the best out there. If the elements are kept clean they'll do the job.

The stories you hear of the foam breaking up are due purely to negligence by the end user. If you wash the filters in petrol or a harsh chemical they won't last long at all before they dry out and break up. I've been guilty of this in the past and learnt the hard way.

If you wash them in hot soapy water (dish washing detergeant) the foam filters will last for years before needing replacing. The foam elements are worth about $15 a pop, so if they are cleaned out properly they work out cheap in the long run.

I've seen a few that get all crumbly and stuff on the inside, right above the throats, and I reckon thats usually to do with carby backfires.

Given that most of them I've seen are bolted to falcon webers on <2 Litre engines, its no real surprise.

I'll see what I can score a set for, personally I'd rather the unifilter setup above but thats 160 bucks I'll spend later down the track.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i didn't end up taking pics, but nobbler did. so maybe i'll get him to put them up.

at any rate, i have SFA room in there also. my twin 40's are on a lynx manifold.

atm i'll be putting some ramflo's on it purely for spacial reasons.