Calling All K Series Gurus...

Mr Revhead

My big port head cost me $120 to purchase initially

Then $800 for a race port, dual valve springs, new valve guides and bigger valves. My head was in very good condition with all the water jacket openings in near new condition.

The bloke who did my head quoted my the same price to port a Non big port head of any type. This is due to the fact that they fully reco the head regardless of what condition its in when you drop it off to him.

There is also alot more labour involved to port a small port head.

So your up for the port job, bigger valves and new seats, dual valve springs(if your running a high lift cam) and new valve guides. This bloke doesnt like to do half jobs if the head is going on a worked motor.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm running a 411 lift cam, and i don't have double valve springs and have never hit valve bounce (its gone over 8200). so i don't really reckon you need them.....

i actually agree with jamie on this.....bigports are overrated.

As we all know, you match the springs to the cam. I have some sort of hot Holden 202 blue motor springs in mine, and they work well, although we change them every eighteen month because they soften up a bit. If double valves springs work with your cam, all well and good. You probably need them for the amount of lift you have, as you need the compressability, as a single coil wouldn't have the strength and compressability you require.

I don't know where mine valve bounces, the Tacho stops at eight.

i'm running a 411 lift cam, and i don't have double valve springs and have never hit valve bounce (its gone over 8200). so i don't really reckon you need them.....

i actually agree with jamie on this.....bigports are overrated.

I could say something right about now but......

i don't wish that i hadnt put the bigport on my motor.....as nick said in an earlier post tonight, they are better for forced induction cause of the bigger ports. just that if i stayed with the 5k or 4k head, i prolly wouldnt have had the ongoing problem with my valve stem seals.......i don't regret doing it.....cause its taught me to do things right the first time.