Rotary Question

corolln

hey fellas.

I'm buyin a new car.. considering a rotary but i hear so much shit bout how bad they are on fuel etc.. with fuel prices these days NOT GOOD

just wonder if anyone knows whats they r like.. a rough guess on how many liters to 100k's would be sweet if anyone knows cheers..

it will probs be a 12a if there is much difference compaired to the 13b fuel wise.

cheers guys

Members dont see this ad
hey fellas.

I'm buyin a new car.. considering a rotary but i hear so much shit bout how bad they are on fuel etc.. with fuel prices these days NOT GOOD

just wonder if anyone knows whats they r like.. a rough guess on how many liters to 100k's would be sweet if anyone knows cheers..

it will probs be a 12a if there is much difference compaired to the 13b fuel wise.

cheers guys

Stick with a rolla mate......you just can't beat the insanely economical AND reliable K engines

Older Mazdas are just as hard to find buddy. Rotary's are barely even considered to be an engine to some people. If something brakes in them, usually that's it. You are pretty smegged. If you have a proper engine using pistons, con rods, crank etc. if something brakes you can usually make it home.

If you want a little rotary noise, then I suggest rotary. Rotary's love more the revs, where normal engines are usually lower rpm's I would imagine. Lower the rpm, lower the fuel that is being used.

Mazda's do look okay, though stick with Rollas too! hehe

winnke55 cheers bud.. i know me cars.. but mazdas have a lot more models(1200,1300,808,capella,929 i could go on) that look the goods compaired to toyota.. corolla r there only sweet cars man.

NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION i want answers not criticisum..

cheers

hey mate, i was talkin bout my car with my tafe lecturer the other week and how a rotary could be a good choice for it.

but he very quickly and harshly put me back in my box sayin that they are just no good.

having 3 continuous loaded chambers one after the other is what just drinks the fuel.

if i were you i would stick with the corollas as they are more reliable and cheaper to run as mentioned earlier.

all the RX-8's these days are going thru bout 12.9L to the 100km

a 1995 mazda rx7 does about 9.1L to the 100km on the highway

hope this helps u out a bit.....

winnke55 cheers bud.. i know me cars.. but mazdas have a lot more models(1200,1300,808,capella,929 i could go on) that look the goods compaired to toyota.. corolla r there only sweet cars man.

NO ONE HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION i want answers not criticisum..

cheers

Try searching a rotary forum, like Ausrotary.

You don't buy a rotary powered vehicle for its Fuel Economy. You buy one because you like the styling and sound af a rotary.

Yes they can be thirsty when they are ported....even when they are standard, they are not the most fuel efficient engine going around.

The crap about being unreliable is a thing of the past. The parts and seals have advanced in leaps and bounds over the years, making them much more reliable when treated properly.

Its all the old rumours that people keep spreading from the early years (that a mate of mate has told them) that give them a bad name. N/A Rotaries are fine and can last a few years before needing a rebuild.

Its when you start throwing heaps of boost at them, that causes drama's......but you get that with piston engines too.

For a definitive answer on fuel consumption, have a search through www.ausrotary.com

I'm sure you'll find the info your after.

The price of old rotary powered Mazda's is insane. Its almost worthwhile engineering a rotary into a corolla if you find one.

Which is what i'm in the middle of.

The bloke I got my Stock 12A off, told me that he normally ~12L/100km when driving sensibly around town. When driven in anger it would use ~16L/100km.

I've heard stories of Monster ported engines chewing through 40L in 200-230km

Edited by kangaroosa

Don't buy a rotor if your worried about fuel consumption. My standard 12a series 2 RX7 was using 12-14 litres per 100km before it shat itself. My 7AGE corolla was using about 8litres per 100km. Performance was similar. Just throw a 4AGE in an early corolla - decent performance with decent fuel economy.

Stick with a rolla mate......you just can't beat the insanely economical AND reliable K engines

Second that ^^

Rotary's are barely even considered to be an engine to some people. If something brakes in them, usually that's it. You are pretty smegged.

This is due to them having next to no internal parts when compared to a piston engine.

At the end of the day, if you want a rotary then fuel is not a problem to you, but if you want economy as a whole rotas are not ideal.

I drive a S4 RX7 With a standard 13B Turbo, only mods are a straight through exhaust and a k and n filter panel in the stock air box, standard boost.

Best i could get out of the 55 litre tank was 260 kms, ive heard that with injection on rotors you can get a lot better economy with an aftermarket computer.

but yea, i don't reccomend as a daily, i drove mine for around 6 months as a daily when i first got it. the amount of extra fuel it used could have covered rego/ insurance ad fuel costs for a corolla.

cheers for all the info fellas...

yeah smeg it hearing that rotar is out of the question now...

you can't sign up to ausrotary if u only have a hotmail adresss wont accept them its bull shit.

guess ill start looking for a nother corolla ke20/35 this time =D

cheers

cam