February 2, 200917 yr comment_313721 it basically comes down to personal preference and how legal you want the car to be. I prefer the rotary (obviously) because of the way they rev, light weight and compact design. The SR20 is an excellent engine with a world of aftermarket support, but in the end both are going to cost $$$ to modify and maintain, most people will say the rotary needs more maintain but IMO it needs no more than whats needed on any other car. I do a service on all my cars after 5000k's, as for rebuilds like any other engine if looked after it should last just as long. I had an old 12A stocker in a S2 that had over 200 000Ks on it and was still going strong, couldnt kill it even when we tried (was upgrading to a ported 13B). reved off the clock bone cold, reved past 9 grand for over 2mins on many occasions and overheated several times and it still went strong and hard! Edited February 2, 200917 yr by 13BT_KE20 Report
February 3, 200917 yr comment_314042 When you're buying a JDM import motor you're guaranteed that it hasn't seen as many oil changes as it should have in its life. For a rotary to last any period of time it has to be serviced properly and regularly, due to their ultra fine tolerances. I've heard 100's of success stories from people buying a $500 SR20 crate motor and feeding it 14 psi for years. Most of the people I've known who've previously owned a rotaries are saying they're expensive to run and service intensive I tend to believe what they're saying. People who've had success with rotary's always look after them, and don't have the mod bug too I'd suggest. Report
February 3, 200917 yr comment_314129 just go ca cheap and abouts as much power as a sr with similar mods. fits nicer in your toyota engine bay. Report
February 3, 200917 yr comment_314195 People who've had success with rotary's always look after them, and don't have the mod bug too I'd suggest. mine are tuned to 167rwkw and 260rwkw respectively rollas only an import block, RX7 has a build motor that ive never had any problems with Report
February 5, 200917 yr comment_314932 i'd prefer the 13b over the sr even though there are equally enough people puttin both motors into anything, u still can't make an SR sit at idle and go brap brap brap brap brap.......... unless it has huge cams in it but still wont sounds the same, don't get me wrong sr's have a huge potenial 2 get big power figures :D ( I no this because i used 2 work on them when i worked at mercury motorsports QLD) but nothing beats the sound of a bridgeported rotory at 12thousand rpm haulin ass passed ya or even when there just sittin there at idle :y: Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now