13b V Sr20

Mickey H

Hey all, just bought my first corolla (ke70) and I'm not sure what engine to put in it. It used to run a 12a rotary, so the transmission tunnel has been cut up and remade to suit. I want to use this car as a drift car, something to get started with, but I'm not sure what to use. The 13b has great power to weight ratio, but not sure if it would be suited for drift, and i've heard some people are drifting with an sr20+ke70 combination, due to it being more powerful then a 4age.

This car won't be road registered (is it possible to register a car with a 6 point cage?) so engineering wont be a problem. So yeh thanks in advance, :)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, just bought my first corolla (ke70) and I'm not sure what engine to put in it. It used to run a 12a rotary, so the transmission tunnel has been cut up and remade to suit. I want to use this car as a drift car, something to get started with, but I'm not sure what to use. The 13b has great power to weight ratio, but not sure if it would be suited for drift, and i've heard some people are drifting with an sr20+ke70 combination, due to it being more powerful then a 4age.

This car won't be road registered (is it possible to register a car with a 6 point cage?) so engineering wont be a problem. So yeh thanks in advance, :)

how deep are your pockets?

both have pros and cons but i think you will find the sr might be more reliable, people have been drifting for ages now, got a few friends that run them no dramas.

all comes down to preference. I don't have 1st hand experience with 13b's as such tho i know they are an great motor when built right. Maybe someone else could give some insight.

stock for stock though SR hands down.

shouldnt be an issue if he doesnt want it rego'd at all.

id say sr20 personally, got one in my GTiR and that pushes ya back in ur seat no worries.

- every mechanic can work on it as opposed to the rotary style motor

- and parts are everywhere

- also being a slut conversion (used regularly), easy to find info youll need!!!

"NIKE"

just do it.

Putting a rotary in is going to be the easiest if it used to run a 12A. There is nobody who'll deny that they are one of the fastest things ever made per litre, and the way they deliver there power is spectacular. You just need to work out if you can afford maintaining one, you'll always need to have a few grand in the bank for a crate motor or a freshen up.

The things I've seen SR's survive with factory bottom ends shows you how reliable they are, have you ever heard an ultra reliable rotary?

The things I've seen SR's survive with factory bottom ends shows you how reliable they are, have you ever heard an ultra reliable rotary?

I can always rely on one of mine being off the road, thats why i have two Rotaries.

I'd have to be pretty unlucky for both of them to shit themselfs at the same time.

But if they did i guess i'd be pretty much smegged!!!!

Well I'm budgeting 1500 just for the engine, so i can get an sr20 or a ca18det half cut for that much, probably not a rotary. I have the hydraulic clutch setup so i would just need some custom mounts if i decide to go with a nissan engine. Fuel economy/reliability isnt a big deal, the car won't be seeing the street.