"jesus" - The Sacrificial Lamb?

machg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car won't start, again, maybe no spark, just megasquirt it? Getting really frustrated, again. Sparks will arch from end of spark plug to earth if held a mm or two from rocker cover, but not between centre and outer electrodes. I did run out of fuel today, and by the time I had re-fuelled I had to go back to work, will try again tomorrow.

Edited by machg

O.K. running again now, have modified fuel pump to pickup lower in tank. Nick; airflow meter is working. Would it be worth pulling off the intake plenum, removing the injectors and making sure they are all opening and closing + spraying correctly?

Edited by machg

Did as above, will check injectors tomorrow + new gaskets on intake manifold and re-check all vacuum lines, I suspect I could have missed one. Also just read on a 3TGTEU site that a split fuel pressure regulator diaphragm can cause rough idle and engine flooding, which is what I am suspecting. Also I have hard wired the fuel pump to come on when ignition is on, if I run out of ideas again, I'll hook it up as per factory.

Edited by machg

Did as above, will check injectors tomorrow + new gaskets on intake manifold and re-check all vacuum lines, I suspect I could have missed one. Also just read on a 3TGTEU site that a split fuel pressure regulator diaphragm can cause rough idle and engine flooding, which is what I am suspecting. Also I have hard wired the fuel pump to come on when ignition is on, if I run out of ideas again, I'll hook it up as per factory.

The best advise i can suggest is to find someone running the same drive-line and start swapping components onto there car and see how they run on that.

You can check the injectors with the manifold off I guess. I don't do that very often. The proper way to check injectors, is to just take them off, and take them to Automotive Service Solutions on Collins St. Get them to check, clean and put new rubbers on them. It costs money, but that would be 1 thing eliminated, or fixed.

I have a spare gasket here, the one between the 2 halves of the runners. And I have a inspection plate gasket also. Yours for $1.

For intake gasket, you can use cerial packet, and some fuel resistant sealant. (Not silicon).

I once had a failed fuel pressure regulator (ST215W Caldina) and fuel got into the vacuum line. The engine run, but misfired under load due to low fuel pressure. Thankfully almost any Toyota regulator fitted, I just had to bend some hoses to fit. But your regulator is a much older design. If you have enough fuel pressure to create a mist when you crack the cold start line off, then that is enough to make if idle fine. It should idle good. Small problems with the pressure regulator would only show themselves on the road.

The best advise i can suggest is to find someone running the same drive-line and start swapping components onto there car and see how they run on that.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the only 2TGEU running factory EFI in Tasmania.

Thanks Jonny for gaskets, I've got proper gasket paper, so I am going to make my own, I'll let you know if I strike trouble/need yours

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. checked injectors and their plugs yeatserday, all are squirting O.K. Will finish re-assembling the intake side this week, and hopefully it will be all good. It looks like there is a piece of drebis stuck in the return line of the fuel pressure regulator, hopefully when I re-connect it, the fuel pressure wil blow it out. Mark

Edited by machg

For those interested: Found a wire on the airflow meter block that had backed out of its mount. I reassembled all, fixed this pin and got it to idle at the proper advance and idle speed settings. ;). Shut the bonnet to take it for a spin and it died, won't re-start. :yes: Have started cleaning up the loom and doing proper solder joins and putting the loom in conduit, so hopefully the end is in sight. Please tell me I am going to win, I have seen a tiny glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

Sooooooo close. Found a dead wire, fixed it. Now idles well and runs without ridiclulous amounts of advance or idle speed. Its still not quite 100% but its now driveable. Might see if I can find someone with a wideband O2 sensor so I can see if the mixtures are in the ball park, I am suspecting its still very rich.