My First Corolla (or Is It Second?)

RedKE30

Hey everyone,

My first post on this forum. Enjoy my story 8/.

In August 2007 I bought an AE101 halfcut from NSW, $1750 shipped to Vic. The 4AGE in the cut failed compression tests, so the guy threw in an extra 4AGE and box. My first automotive purchase, I was pretty proud of myself :).

The Donor

halfcut.jpg

Engine/box/loom etc came out and off she went to the tip.

halfcutnoengine.jpg

The original plan was to plant the 4AGE into my brother's AE80 when he took it off the road and handed over the keys to me. Went along with that for a little bit, started dismantling the car.

Fast forward and I'm driving a FWD car daily and starting to get sick of it. I couldn't stand the thought of building a FWD car. So I started looking around for a KE70/AE71 to put the 4AGE in but all the ones I found were either rusty, too expensive or located outside of Victoria. Then I found something even better, and paid the deposit on the night I went to look at it.

Introducing my 1977 KE30 Corolla, picked up on Saturday, 4/10.

MyKE302.jpg

Damage :) (There when I bought it)

ke30dent.jpg

Apparently this car used to be a Tint-A-Car courtesy vehicle, not sure how long for. Interesting bit of history anyway.

So after having this car sit around for ages I change my mind, and decide that this car is too much work. Rust around both screens, big smash in rear quarter, rust in same rear quarter, rust in gutters and a rust hole in the RHS rail. Big mistake paying 1300 for the thing, but hey, we live and we learn.

Started to look around again and found 2 KE55's on ebay, one auto and one manual. Went and had a look, and decided to wait on the auction. The auction ended under reserve, and the cars were relisted with an $850 buy it now price. Bought them instantly.

So now I've got these two ladies in my driveway. Mum isn't happy, 2 cars need to be gone in 2 weeks!

th_IMG_1970.jpg

th_IMG_1971.jpg

Edited by RedKE30

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's good condition... how much did you pay for it?

He wanted $1400 but I got it for $1300. Check new pic for damage, and the front bumper needs replacing. It looks good from a distance and in photos, but up close the paint has scratches, few small dents in the car, little bit of rust. Has to be expected though from a '77, although the respray is apparently only about 8 months old.

Cheers

Sian

Edited by RedKE30

Bought myself some goodies for the car today, will hopefully take care of some noises and make the car drive better.

-Front wheel bearings

-Pitman arm

-Idler arm

IMG_0615.jpg

Ripped off a wheel and got my first look at the spacers that had been used to fit the S13 rims.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Not exactly safe. Will definitely be getting some better ones, probably made custom.

Out came the wheel bearings, looking pretty ratty.

IMG_0623.jpg

In went the new ones. Decided to put the stockies back on, actually looks pretty good.

IMG_0630.jpg

Edited by RedKE30

Got time off from school to study now so I'm pretty bored. It's a choice between study or car...guess which one wins...

First up was the Pitman and Idler arms. Went in without a hassle and made quite a bit of difference to the feel of the car.

Next we opened up the boot to locate a very annoying noise. Didn't fix the noise but found some other interesting things. This is after i cleaned it out, found a layer of mud and water at the bottom. Patched up the holes with some gasket maker stuff.

IMG_0703.jpg.

Original toolkit

IMG_0707.jpg

All the shit in the boot out

IMG_0702.jpg

My fuel tank cover and spare wheel cover were both pretty ratty so I decided to remake those. Bought some 6mm MDF for $4 and got my dad to draw a template and cut them out. My brother did the spray painting, they look much better. Fuel tank cover needs a coat of black and a coat of clear then shes done. Will only put links for pics as this thread is getting too big.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/re...ar/IMG_0735.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/re...ar/IMG_0736.jpg

Decided to pull the head unit out to fix a wiring issue. Got the trim out and found a lot of half assed wiring. Twist and tape jobs everywhere, and some pretty lazy soldering jobs. Pissed it all off, going to start clean with the head unit wiring another day.

Was just looking around the dash and happened to notice this.

IMG_0739.jpg

Cracked boss kit, definitely not a good thing. Threw the standard wheel back on, and now I have a horn so that's a bonus. I also put the KE55 combination switch on while i was there, now to find a way to get the intermittent setting to work.

Also took the time to remove all the stereo wiring running through the car, ending up with a surprising amount.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/re...ar/IMG_0727.jpg

Lots of other random pics on my photobucket

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/re...%20Car/?start=0

Edited by RedKE30