Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

Members dont see this ad

aye ben, go down to your local bunnings and grab some flapper discs for a dremel or die grinder

http://pages.prodigy.net/dalecochoy/tools/14Sandin.jpg

you should be done in no time,

Hey Even I actually went down to Bunnings but didnt find them. I just bought 120mm discs and whacked them on the drill. It did a good job on the spokes but on the dish forget it. The rubber backing disc hits the dish and leaves rubber :glare: . BUT i'll prep sand the remaining spokes on the other wheels and sand the dish by hand......

But then i'll repaint the alloys with some Septone or VHT wheel paint (high temp/hard wearing). I trialled one rim with the "alluminium" finish but I'm also thinking about the "chrome" finish paint too. :hmm: I want something with a bit of shine/reflection. The i'll redo all the red/burgundy highlights.

for chrome paint look at alsa "killer chrome"

http://www.gpi.com.au/alsa/products/cpaints-kc-chrome.html

expensive but its real chrome! i was looking into this when i wanted to paint my 13" stockies chrome

http://www.gpi.com.au/alsa/products/cpaints-multichrome.html

that would also look sick!

Okay wheel prepping, masking, painting and detailing have been completed. I'll get my hands on some phillips head screw for the centre caps and then I just have to swap the good rubber over and thats done. Then the next task will be re laying of pin strips on the drivers side and its all complete.

Got my dashmat today, big thanks to Colonel :y:

S5003711.jpg

S5003709.jpg

S5003710.jpg

S5003712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Given the nice weather we had this afternoon, I finished off the removal and relaying of the pin strips on the drivers side. Sore fingers from the razor and dried fingers from the paint thinner, but it was worth the effort, especially since its wearing its clean CS-X alloys!

The drivers side pic shows the old stripes and new wheels, while the passenger side has a new stripe. Also thanks to RC forum member Motograff I got these "moulded" Corolla mudflaps for the rear, and yes I did the red lettering :wink: My friends have more photos of this taken this evening when we went for a little drive about the burbs.

I'm not taking the photos on a funny angle, that is how my street is!

S5003717.jpg

S5003718.jpg

A few more photos from the night me and some mates went for a drive.

S5003725.jpg

S5003723.jpg

S5003724.jpg

Paul won ebay two Toyota Corolla cigarette holders, One a ke70 and the other an ae82. I got the ae82 and couldnt believe the weight of it, its quite heavy. Its a plated metal, so the touching over the years made it tarnish but with some chrome polish it cleaned up nicely :wink: Johno, Trev where you :poke: There are no before pics.

S5003737.jpg

S5003738.jpg

S5003739.jpg

S5003740.jpg

Finally in Melbourne we experienced some nice weather, so out with the pressure cleaner (first time in 4 years) and gave the 71 and Getz a good scrub, then dad and myself polished the cars for the rest of the afternoon.

I bought that Turtle Wax polish, It may be called Colour Cure - you buy the tyre according to car colour, no naturally it was red for me. Gave it a good go everywhere on the car and the finish is bloody awesome. So rich, deep and glossy.

Presenting the A team :lol:

S5003730.jpg

S5003736.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More nice weather over the weekend so I made the absolute most of it by doing things on the ke70.

1, Wash it, dusty from sitting around.

2, Pull out my forever black and freshen the bumbers and rub strips.

3, Change radiator coolant and flush system with heater on. Took my time which was worth it. People who know North east Melbourne, I took the car up the ring road, through the start/stop traffic in mill park before going back home via the sttep nasty South Morang gorge which it took in its stride :wink: and kept its cool.

4, Refreshed the interior with some rejuvenator, (its not armourall). But its shiny none the less.

5, Polished the exterior and chrome wheel trims so it beads off water :y: and also did the engine bay. I was actually suprised how dusty it was.

6, Driving on 12 year old tyres displayed you were riding on top of the road, as opposed to sticking on it. So its now sporting 4 brand new Bridgestone Turanzas, seriously you cannot feel bumps now, and speed humps..... they don't feel like speed humps. Built for comfort :yes:

Next I need to reupholdster the driver and passenger seat bases, as the vinyl has seperated slightly over the years. I actually like the look of the uncovered seats and interior in general. Then the analogue clock needs checking as its not operating :hmm: maybe someone can make some suggestions?? Then lastly some dents and rust removal.

Pictures tell a thousand words.

It drives and handles like a new car!

S5003753.jpg

S5003754.jpg

S5003748.jpg

The ke70 amongst the gumtrees.... ADM only. :wink:

S5003755.jpg

Its that bright astronaughts can see it :P

S5003752bp.jpg

The ae71 is getting some attention this weekend, so stay tuned.

looking noice! i thought you were gonna come around saturday? me and a mate done a gorge/whittlesea run

was real fun

Bummer, I went to see a mate in Mill park and then travelled from there to Mill park lakes. A good few hours spent there, some things came up at 1.30 ish so I had to head home and along the way I noticed quite a few tyre shops, so I popped in and the last shop I went to I inquired about tyres for the ke70, so I went back home grabbed some money and before you knew it, he was up in the air getting new rubber put on. I was the last car by that stage and It was 4pm lock up time.

Also I thought you said you were fiddling around with you're suspension? At least I can drive with confidence now.

A thorough breed such as red is does not have a value to it due to its high significance :lolcry: Kepp you're eyes peeled when on the road Josh, I did over for atleast a good year or two and it paid off :y:

Yeah... But first things first, I will need to get my P/Van finished before I get another Car/Rolla.

Well it was a good all round for us rollaclubers, most went cruising and Paul,dad and I started on the manual conversion.

Thursday afternoon I began pulling out all the dash, exhaust system, air cleaner assy and hoses. etc,etc.

Saturday (today) Paul, dad and myself were out with the big guns. So we attacked the auto and after a bit of pursuasion we successfully pulled it off. Having two trolley jacks helped out a lot when it came to manouvering and lower the auto.

Pulling off the auto tailshaft was a bugger, despite having all the bolts removed it was stuck on, so a hard hit from the hammer fixed that. The rear diff was dropped suprisingly quick, and the 3.889 ae71 unit was ready to be bolted up. Prior to installation, we replaced the brake shoes, wheel cylinders, flexi line and put fresh diff oil in etc,etc. All bushes were as new, along with the rear shocks :).

Then Paul started removing the auto pedal box, what a pain it is to get to the top left bolt, but thats because we didnt muck around with the heater :wink: With an angle grinder Paul enlargened the hole in the floor for the manual gearstick :yes: Then with a sealing plate that he constructed, it was glued down to the floor before being screwed back down the previous auto cover bolts. Then re tapping of the surrounding four holes were done too.

Photos of todays progress.

Pauls thougts below :laff:

S5003767.jpg

Prying off the transmission

S5003768.jpg

Enlarged transmission hole

S5003769.jpg

Me

S5003770.jpg

After working with dad on the diff install. :y:

S5003771.jpg

No guts :blinks: ...... for now.

S5003774.jpg

The Aisin Borgwarner 3 speed traumatic and the other auto stuff...... lump of useless scrap :dance:

S5003772.jpg

That is the progress for today.

Edited by "The Mint KE70"