K-50 Or T-50 , Can Someone Tell Me Please

steve_tm

Members dont see this ad

The story goes that Toyota ran out of K boxes when the ke35 was on the production line.

Having a decent supply of T50's, they decided to make basically and interum bell housing to fit the T50's to K motors as to not halt production.

As soon as K40/50 were available again they dropped the T50.

The story goes that Toyota ran out of K boxes when the ke35 was on the production line.

Having a decent supply of T50's, they decided to make basically and interum bell housing to fit the T50's to K motors as to not halt production.

As soon as K40/50 were available again they dropped the T50.

Bullshit! They are listed as standard fittment in the KE30/35 genuine worshop manual i have. Only used with 3K-B engine. Besides toyota had the g/box and extension housing already from the TE series and only had to cast a different bellhousing to suit a K engine. Then they developed the K50 as this looks the same as a K40 front but share no parts exept the input shaft. Internally the are an entirely different box. To fit in a KE20/25 the gearbox crossmember will bolt to the rear set of holes in the chassis rails as these are for a TE setup. The rear shifter housing is different to a TA22. There is a proper bracket that bolts to the two holes in the extension housing and to the lower left ext. housing to g/box case bolt. The standard KE20 mount bolts to this bracket and then to the crossmember. The clutch is different to a K box due to larger input shaft. A complete clutch kit is avalible from any clutch dealer to suit these boxes. Our book at work lists it as "rare 5 speed", most books list input shaft dimentions anyway. yours is 21 spline vs 19 for K box. I got mine in much the same way. Bought a whole KE20 for $100. had the g/box and a complete 3K-B engine in it!!

Mate you don't need to try and lecture me on gearboxes. I own most of the gearboxs/bellhousing in the FAQ.

As I said... "As the story goes" .....meaning as you hear on the grape vine. But in a full paragraph you haven't really persuaded me to believe otherwise! And ofcourse they'd have to list them as "standard fitment" if they put them in the bloody cars!

Bullshit! They are listed as standard fittment in the KE30/35 genuine worshop manual i have. Only used with 3K-B engine.

Crikey, no wonder their rare...

Besides toyota had the g/box and extension housing already from the TE series and only had to cast a different bellhousing to suit a K engine.

Crikey, learn something old every day.

Then they developed the K50 as this looks the same as a K40 front but share no parts exept the input shaft. Internally the are an entirely different box.

Crikey, always thought it was odd never being able to grab fifth from a four speed 'box. Now i know why

The clutch is different to a K box due to larger input shaft. A complete clutch kit is avalible from any clutch dealer to suit these boxes.

Crikey, maybe use a t50 clutch, and get it cheaper

Couldn't help it

havin a dig

:jamie:

Edited by towe001

Mate you don't need to try and lecture me on gearboxes. I own most of the gearboxs/bellhousing in the FAQ.

As I said... "As the story goes" .....meaning as you hear on the grape vine. But in a full paragraph you haven't really persuaded me to believe otherwise! And ofcourse they'd have to list them as "standard fitment" if they put them in the bloody cars!

No offence. Just don't understand why people have to make "legendary" stories about stuff all the time. The rest of the post was for the original poster as nobody had realy answered his question about what he needs.

TA22 T50 clutch diameter is to large to fit a standard K flywheel.

yeh, it was jst th main hole that the nut of the mount sits into! took 10 mins to drill out. suprised with th tunnel as well, only had to widen it slightly as well. i put up a post in ride projects over th next week of what i've been up to, hehe. there pretty fun cars to work on, not too hard if your not doing anything major!