February 16, 200917 yr Author comment_318957 I think it's time for an update people. So this is what i've done over the last month or so... Commodore radiator running with custom brackets and camry thermo fan, definitely keeps it nice and cool. It fit in there like a charm, the only thing I had to remove from the engine bay was the triangular pieces that go from the chassis to the radiator support panel, no biggie. Looks nice and neat in there too :wink:. Also today I bought this from the wreckers for $50!! I havn't actually measured the diametre but I think it's a 2 inch system, maybe smaller. But for fifty bucks I aint complaining. Was a bitch to get out of the original car as i was by myself and had limited tools. Probably took me up to 2 hours lol. Then i tried to fit it into the 30 which was never going to happen, so some dude with a ute helped me out. Fitted it up in about 30 mins and it sounds awesome. Not too loud so won't attract attention but still has a good note to it. Anyway... Future plans still not sure, fixin up my hilux so I can sell it off then i'll get another rolla so I can take this one off the road and do rust repairs/respray. Enjoy! Edited February 16, 200917 yr by Jason KE30 Report
February 16, 200917 yr comment_318975 Hey Jason. How did you do the wiring for the thermo? Got any pics of it? Edited February 16, 200917 yr by Mybowlcut Report
February 16, 200917 yr Author comment_318982 Haven't got any pics of the wiring but it was fairly simple, pretty sure there was just an earth and then you just tap into a power source from the coil. So I have mine running non stop but will be putting in a sensor so it kicks in at a certain temperature. Report
February 16, 200917 yr comment_318989 pic of inside console as promisedbig enuf to fit a large coke :wink: and looky what i found at upi with help from ryan :hmm: just need to trim it down a bit then give it a lick of paint and she'll be set damn nice find! i want Report
February 17, 200917 yr comment_319158 hay bud why not just go with the origanal thermo on the commondore rad??? or didnt you have it?? Report
February 17, 200917 yr comment_319185 Haven't got any pics of the wiring but it was fairly simple, pretty sure there was just an earth and then you just tap into a power source from the coil. So I have mine running non stop but will be putting in a sensor so it kicks in at a certain temperature. I hope you used a relay? some fans draw up to and over 10 amps, over load the ignition circuit and your on the side of the road juggling fuses Report
February 17, 200917 yr comment_319187 I hope you used a relay? some fans draw up to and over 10 amps, over load the ignition circuit and your on the side of the road juggling fuses +1 Use the coil + terminal as your relay trigger, not the main power and power the relay straight off the battery. Report
February 17, 200917 yr comment_319204 +1 Use the coil + terminal as your relay trigger, not the main power and power the relay straight off the battery. Please use a relay. Mybowlcut, you get wiring diagrams with most any electrical device you buy. Stop asking for answers and start finding them yourself, please. There are plenty of books with electrical theory you can read to get explanations of the symbols and terms. Just wondering, Jason, it looks like some of the radiator core is obscured by the metal which it mounts too, is this to reduce efficiency so it runs warm enough, or just to mount a radiator thats really wide? Or does it only obscure it at the top? can't really see the front of it in the photos. Did you remove any metal from the radiator support to give it airflow? You'll probably find its a bit cold if you give it too much air. Report
February 17, 200917 yr comment_319331 IVe seen it personally and the bracket will make no difference as the original radiator support covers the same area. So unless jason cuts the radiator support having the radiator mount like that or not it wouldnt really make a difference. Id personally keep the radiator partially covered because there is such a thing as running an engine too cold. which is why I'm gonna get a thermo switch for my thermo as it hardly gets off the cold mark on the temp gauge. Report
February 17, 200917 yr Author comment_319364 I'll sort out the relay sometime soon and get a temperature sensor installed so it doesn't run too cool. Didn't have to cut away the radiator support panel at all. As it is such a large radiator there is no need. Air can still get too at least 3/4 of the radiator anyway. Report
March 19, 200917 yr Author comment_329555 Update guys! New ke55 5speed and heavy duty clutch went in last night. Not too many hassles. Began to remove the old 4speed at around 6pm and didn't totally finish the gearbox til about 11pm. It goes really well but the only issue is that when i'm in 1st, 3rd, and 5th the gear stick hits the centre console and that's where my cd player is. Has anyone else had this issue? Started having brake issues yesterday too. I noticed a scraping noise while I was driving and thought that it might have been a wheel bearing on it's way out... until it got worse. So when I got home I checked the pads and one of the pads on the right hand side was totally worn, whereas the other one was still quite chunky, so a fair bit of uneven wear going on there. After I finished the gearbox I began on the changing the brake pads over. Took me until 12:30am til I was totally finished everything so I took it for a short drive but it was still making a horrible noise. So now my guess is that my R/H rotor is warped majorly and that one of the calipers is ceased. My neighbour is head manager at an auto parts company so I'm being hooked up with brand new rotors and a caliper kit for a good price. Is there anything else I should change while I'm at it? Oh and one more thing... The nuts that hold my exhaust to the headers have almost all come off. Should I put some sort of loctite on? And maybe some spring washers and some lock nuts? Report
March 20, 200917 yr comment_329626 It goes really well but the only issue is that when i'm in 1st, 3rd, and 5th the gear stick hits the centre console and that's where my cd player is. Just cut the stick in half :y: Oh and one more thing... The nuts that hold my exhaust to the headers have almost all come off. Should I put some sort of loctite on? And maybe some spring washers and some lock nuts? I say locktite the bastard, but I'm no mechanic :D Report
March 20, 200917 yr comment_329629 You've probably said, but I didn't see it? But why did you put a commodore radiator in it? Report
March 20, 200917 yr comment_329635 Spring washers and do them up with a socket this time, not finger tight. :y: Wanna hook me up with rotors? the ol girl needs brakse ASAP :D Report
March 20, 200917 yr Author comment_329663 You've probably said, but I didn't see it? But why did you put a commodore radiator in it? My old radiator was rooted and would bust leaks all the time. Couldn't drive it in excessive heat. And I had a commodore radiator lying in the carport so instead of paying a couple of hundred just to get a new radiator i just custom fit the commo one in. Was pretty simple and fits in there quite nicely too. Spring washers and do them up with a socket this time, not finger tight. :y: Wanna hook me up with rotors? the ol girl needs brakse ASAP :D I done them up as tight as i could (with a socket) when I put my new exhaust in. I guess because of the temperature always fluctuating they became loose. I'll be fixing this problem with loctite and spring washers. Maybe even lock nuts. I'll see what I can do about the brakes. Got my new rotors, wheel bearings and one caliper kit for $96. Gonna fit them up tonight after footy training. I'll be getting my second caliper kit on monday as they ran out of stock :( Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now