Red_rocket

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well the Car is COMPLETE.

It still has a tappet noise. but that is most likely due to the push rod sizing. i may need to go 1mm bigger. or something because there is a fair gap for the valve clearance

However, the dyno wasn't as good as i hoped due to alot of detonation issues. may have to look at making a complete new exhaust manifold up which is a good thing as the one on the car is bad design.

anyway the car is making 80rwkw at 6psi and no pinging or any problems. its a safe daily tune.. so itll have to do for now.

the car is 98% complete, just need a new set of tread and its done.

Now that's this is done looking forward to future cruises and starting my next project. which ill start a new topic and keep everyone updated!

post-6068-0-88685500-1357300565_thumb.jpg

post-6068-0-09737700-1357300901_thumb.jpg

post-6068-0-82508100-1357300945_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of playing with manifolds, id suggest a cheap coolingmist water injection kit (or another brand)of american ebay with a 100-150cc jet , they sometimes

start them at $240 aus. Half the detonation problem is heatsoak that is so hard to get rid of due to no crossflow.

Out of interest, i had more problems with it with the 4K efi mani than the 7K style one i built later(before there where 7K mani's)

Pulled 2 degrees out of tune to stop heatsoak related det from memory

cheers

darren

Edited by untubbed_20

• 5 months later...

With the Tappet noise i measured the push rods and they are 150mm long. would it be woth buying the 156mm ones to stop the noise? the pistons i have ate the shallow dish type..

i have ran out of ideas to stop the tapping noise..

Unless the gap between the pushrod and the rocker is 5-5.5mm, the 6mm longer pushrod will give you way too much preload on the lifter. I'd imagine that much it would keep the valve open.

Easiest way to get it back is to have someone handy in a milling machine knock a little off the rocker posts that bolt to the head.

How loose is the pushrod when the cam is on its base circle(at the bottom)?

If that's still my old cam and lifters they were quiet as a mouse in the old twin carb'd setup.