Red Rocket's 5k Turbo Efi Ke55s

Red_rocket

Hey man looking sweet speaking of camshaft did that mild crow cam I sold you get you out of trouble?

Stu.

well to be honest i haven't even installed it yet. i check that its not rusted, but i am hoping itll get me outa trouble.

ive cut out nearly all the steel bits for the car this weekend. and attempted to weld the ones that are not visible, but i think i need to use a different wire on the mig welder.

just seems to blow through on the lowest setting using the gasless wire.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gasless is less than ideal for bodywork. What size wire are you using? 0.6 or 0.8 will do.

Spot on. I'm a welder by trade, and have done my own little body jobs at home with my gasless. Its pretty tricky and shitty using gasless. But, we can't all afford $2000 WIA's or lincons. Gas isnt cheap either :( Make do i guess.

well ive got 0.8 wire going through. i must be doing something wrong i mean don't get me wrong ive welded plenty before. just need to practice on the really thin metals.

maybe i should get a small roll of 0.6 wire?

so you recon gasless is ok, or is my welder too big for car panels and thin metal?

With practive you can weld thin sheet, car body panels arent that thin anyway. Turn the power and wire speed down.

Practice on some scrap material to see how fast you have to move along to get the flow going and not blow holes through.

I have a gasless and a gass mig (neighbours shared), gasless mig is utterly useless at neat welds. Well it's hard to do anyway.

I am a beginner welder and have found that the gass mig is just unbeatable, apart from a tig!

Yeah gasless is messy with all the splatter, the weld its self isnt too bad! but like you said nothing really beats gas shielded. i might have a suss and buy those little bottles from the tool shops and give that a go.

But at the end of the day practice makes perfect.

sounds like you have the same welder as me... with panels you can really only get away with tack welds quick short bursts make sure the area is clean of all paint as well. takes

a while but it works... once you tack it let it cool then direct the heat into the tack... not on the panel.

Well got some process done on the car this weekend, Dad came over and gave me a hand doing some welding. managed to get one side of the car done!

i'm quite happy with the process. we couldn't get full welds on the panels just alot of tacks. but enough to make it solid. once ive finished welding the

rest of the car ill fiberglass the panes and then bog it all up and fish oil it.. which wasn't done when it was fixed the first time.