Diagnosis Of Problems

Sportivo_65

Its good to see everyone trying to help out, but unless you have actually had some practice at playing around with these sorts of problems, it is VERY easy to go off onto a guessing-educated duck hunt-tangent. lol.

To orangeLJ - Re "I wouldnt take it to a dealership, most of the time they will just plug it into a computer and then stand and scratch their head when it doesnt tell them what to do." - You Really have little to no clues as to what happens behind the scenes. Comments like that are a little to generalistic for my liking..

Toyota at Kedron is close enough to where the car is atm. I cannot guarantee that it will be a quick fix process, but the branch has 2 of the most switched on Toyota Tech's in QLD - On top of that, Toyota Access & Support because its a Toyota Dealership. Ie. A solution to problems within reason.

There is hope yet :D

T

I know ALOT of dealership mechanics, both those completing apprentiships and those in charge of whole workshops as supervisors or foremen (ford, mazda, holden, jaguar etc etc not just one brand)

And you know what they all have in common? They know sweet f@$k all about most things. And just so you know, I spent some time doing work for dealerships in my last job before I decided to go to uni and get an office job, so infact, I do know what does on. You may be lucky enough to work for a decent place, but they are few and far between and the majority are full of generations of ill-equiped and badly taught "mechanics" teaching the new generation of mechanics to be.... and the cycle continues.

On the topic, Are toyota ECUs security sealed? would breaking the seals then void any claim on toyota for design faults in the ECU etc?

Seem you borrowed parts from another turbo corolla before, Can you swipe the ECU from it to confirm the ECU is the cause? How much are they worth new from Toyota? I imagine they are worth a fair bit?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry for the assumption on your behalf, but i am saddened by the fact that it sounds like it really is "that" bad out there.

Are toyota ECUs security sealed? - No, not really. As for voiding warranty.. well, in this case the vehicle is out of warranty. Personally i have never tried swapping the ECU's from the 112' series, i cannot remember off the top of my head if the Security modules are integrated or not. As for price.. lol, a Wide body Camry ECU is worth about $1700 I'm told :D

oh, the ECU is different in the sportivo to the standard AE112's, last year the price was hugely excessive ... somewhere between $10,000 and $20000, yes, TWENTY thousand dollars it's modified by TOMS or TRD

I reckon Terminal had costs on one ... uh, I'll see what I can find...

Lesley :P

Holy shit!

how much were the cars worth originally from Toyota?

I'd say its pretty safe to assume that AE112R computer would be completely different considering the turbo factor, I was more pointing towards borrowing an ECU from anyone with an AE112R sportiva turbo (I know they are reasonably rare, but thought you might have known someone) and try that out, If thats not an option, then Teddy's idea about pulling down the ECU to check for damage could be your only bet.

If it turns out to be the ECU, it would obviously be cheaper to go aftermarket, hell the top of the range Motec units cost less then that factory ECU! The ones we run in sprintcars (which are really overkill for a street car) are only about $5-10k per unit and harnesses.

ohhh, and no worries Teddy, I always had the idea that dealerships were shocking,but was pretty surprised once I found out how bad it really is for myself. You don't realise just how many numb-skulls work in the car industry in general, they just seem to culminate at dealerships (safety in numbers?) I don't doubt there are a few good mechanics at some dealerships, Its more the majority are just shithouse.

Edited by orangeLJ

If it turns out your ECU is damaged and requires fixing, you can send it to

Brisco Butler Automotive Services, 10 Lyons Terrace, Windsor - Phone (07) 3857 3011 - As they have the 1337-skillz to fix them up :P

I think we need an update :)

Is the coil in these internal to the Dizzy on this model? its been a while since ive had to fiddle around with a 112.

Update:

After reading through terminals thread and contacting another Sportivo owner close to me (with the same amount of k's and exactly the same 'shutting down intermittently' problem) ... its been confirmed by everyone except Toyota that it is a fault with the ECU.

I still have a Motoranma used car warranty which will cover up to $2,000 worth of repairs...

Toyota's RRP for a replacement ECU is $12,000 (price quoted to my mechanic). But based on terminals thread, a special price request was put in and Toyota have come to the party at $5,500. This part is not available from Toyota in Australia. It has not been confirmed yet as to weather this would come from Toyota Japan 'off the shelf' or if it needs to be 'made on demand' from Toyota Japan (via TOM's UK I guess - as terminals thread mentions).

After speaking with a number of ver capable Autolek's in Brisbane, the general censis is that Toyota computers aren't as 'fixable' as say Nissan computers... And that unless the repairer has access to the correct 'mappin' (there's another word but I can't think of it) they can't really do much.

So I gues the decision is:

1. Have Toyota replace the part under my used car warranty and be $3,500 out of pocket myself... .Not sure if I'm too keen on this idea for the money factor and what guarantee will I have that the replacement factory ECU won't fail again after 130,000 odd k's... None...

2. Replace with an aftermarket ECU and pay for this to be done myself... Cons: only 12mths warranty on the unit, dyno time required for tuning = $$$, finding someone down the track who'll still repair the choosen aftermarket ECU. Pros: tuneability later if I do mods...

If it turns out your ECU is damaged and requires fixing, you can send it to

Brisco Butler Automotive Services, 10 Lyons Terrace, Windsor - Phone (07) 3857 3011 - As they have the 1337-skillz to fix them up :)

I think we need an update :wink:

Is the coil in these internal to the Dizzy on this model? its been a while since ive had to fiddle around with a 112.

Hey sportivo_65 given these guys a call to check rough price on repair ?

Do you know of anyone else with a decent aftermarket programable ECU setup and their experiences worth buying ?

If you are totally sure that it is the ECU, I would go out of my way if i was you to ensure that it cannot be repaired.

Realistically, A computer ECU is made up of Chips, Caps and other small circuity. Its not like it can get a virus - something thats gone wrong will be from some form of physical fault. Though the size of the fault.. well, thats another thing.

Have you actually even opened the ECU up and had a look?

Worlds not over yet, i think theres more options than spending 4 digit's juuust yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

We're still working on it orangeLJ. The computer is being inspected today/tomorrow by yet another autolek. We have confirmed that is a compondent on the board of the computer thats corroded/failing. So we're finding out in the next couple of days whether this can be replaced or not.

Apparently though, it might not be as simple as just replacing that compondent, as they may have been damage done to other circuits running before and after this fault in the computer. So to be honest I'm kinda not really keen to just replace that compondent if thats he case.

I'm keen to just replace the computer with a Motec sytem and be done with it. Its a system I'd feel more comfortable with and a system thats at least more reliable then my stock computer has been.

So ROL14's sitting at home in my garage til I can give her a brain back again and then she'll be ALIVE!!! lol

Edited by Sportivo_65

time to go sit in it and make "broom broom" noises then hey!?

I just can't believe the dramas you have had from a stock standard car.

lmao um... :hmm: Now I reallly should get a sticker for it 'Golden NUGGET'... lol

And I know, I can't believe it... I can't believe that this kind of thing can happen an just because they are a limited make, Toyota do nothing about it, don't wanna know about it. I've got a mate in Rochedale (near me in Brisbane) who's now having the same random stalling problem. So its obviously a design fault with that compondent in the computer but just because I'm not the original owner or there's no longer 'new car' warranty on the car - no one wants to know about it. That sort of fault shouldn't happen. Its :no2: that it has, but I don't think its good enough *end rant*

terminal's, mine and scotty's (my mate) cars have all done the same amount (ish) of k's also - around that 130,000 and they have played up... I don't think that's coincidence...

lmao um... :hmm: Now I reallly should get a sticker for it 'Golden NUGGET'... lol

And I know, I can't believe it... I can't believe that this kind of thing can happen an just because they are a limited make, Toyota do nothing about it, don't wanna know about it. I've got a mate in Rochedale (near me in Brisbane) who's now having the same random stalling problem. So its obviously a design fault with that compondent in the computer but just because I'm not the original owner or there's no longer 'new car' warranty on the car - no one wants to know about it. That sort of fault shouldn't happen. Its :no2: that it has, but I don't think its good enough *end rant*

terminal's, mine and scotty's (my mate) cars have all done the same amount (ish) of k's also - around that 130,000 and they have played up... I don't think that's coincidence...

tell that to the 20v ST and 1JZ owners that have an intermittent idling problem as well, both caused through leaking capacitors so really it isnt just your "limited make" but yeah atleast now you know what the problem is/was,

i remember saying something back on page 3 bout pulling the ecu and taking a look inside

theres a guide on toymods for repairing/replacing the caps on a 20v ecu :wink:

tell that to the 20v ST and 1JZ owners that have an intermittent idling problem as well, both caused through leaking capacitors so really it isnt just your "limited make" but yeah atleast now you know what the problem is/was,

i remember saying something back on page 3 bout pulling the ecu and taking a look inside

theres a guide on toymods for repairing/replacing the caps on a 20v ecu :hmm:

It was an intermittent shutting down problem. The car idled and ran perfectly. Just something in the computer was shutting down the car's spark and injector pulse and then not allowing the car to be started at all for a few moments. Which is why I said 'limited make' as everyone who we've spoken to about it or shown hasn't seen that problem before, yet there's three cars of my same model/make thats has this, and at the same amount of k's.

We've had the computer out and have looked at it, and there is a corroded cap/chip there - you can see it. I didn't get a chance to get a pic though :no2:. The computer is with an autolek now though.

Repairing/replacing caps - isn't that something that someone with some experience or expertiese and know how should do? I'm assuming if its not done right that that could have many more effects on other areas of the computer?