Ratchet Spanners

mattress

I'm looking at buying a set of ratchet spanners and just wanted to see what people owned, liked, hated or whatever.

I can't make up my mind if the 'lever reversible' or the 'flip over reversible' type is better. I'm looking at getting the Kincrome flex lock gear spanners. I imagine the flexible, lockable head would come in handy for some tight areas.

If anyone has a set or any input feel free to post up...

post-1914-1233055317.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lever reversible for the win. If you get stuck, you can reverse them, with flip over you can't get back over the bolt head to turn them around to go backwards IYKWIM.

I have a set of Force ones (Lever revesible) for home, and a selection of Snap-on flip overs for work.

I bought a set of kingchrome lever reversable, imperial sized ones just before chrissy. (same type as the picture in the top post)

They are pretty decent, I can't say I have used them to undo anything mega tight, but they make life easier in those tight spots where you have limited room (only need 5* to work) and they give your hands/arms a lot less curry when trying to do up that prick of a bolt where you can't always see to use a normal spanner over and over.

The lever reverse ones have the benefit of the fact you can still use the neck of the spanner (the slight bend found in most spanners) to get into certain areas and still use both directions.

The only downside is that they are a little pricey, I think my imperial set cost $105 trade.

I can't say I have used them to undo anything mega tight

They're not designed to have big pressure put on them, so don't or they'll break. They're designed to (like you say) make life easier in tight spots. Crack the bolt with a fixed spanner first then take to it with a ratchet spanner. Likewise tightening just do the bolt up till it takes then torque it with a tool designed for the job (ideally a torque wrench).

My brother bought a set of the Kinchrome brand when he used to work at Burson Auto Parts. The set with the non bendy end. They are an excellent idea, much quicker then standard ring spanners, as you don't have to keep on taking the spanner off to tighten or loosen a nut. Saves a lot of time :) :D

The only downside I can fault is that the diameter around the ring/ratchet end is slightly bigger then just a standard ring spanner, so if you've got a nut in a tight corner, then sometimes the ratchet won't fit, where as a standard one would. :jamie:

Other then that I love them. :party:

^ thats a pretty good point hey!

They wouldnt fit on the bottom rear bolts on the SUs which was a twat of an idea.

I'm pretty impressed with alot of tool makers these days, Snapon used to be the only decent brand out there, but Kingchrome and others have really increased their quality in the last few years.