Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sump Gasket

Featured Replies

I built a new 4k for my car a few months ago since then it has done around 500kms and the sump gasket is leaking.

 

when i put the gasket on it seemed to be a bit large, like it had been streched but i used it anyway with sealant on bothsides.

 

what I'm wondering is if there is a "top of the range" gasket that is better than the shit that i have now.

 

the gasket on there now is a durapro jobbie which is acl but the gasket kit was sitting around for a while.

 

 

cheers

matthew

Edited by Smithius

it may have moved when you were puttin it on if it seemed a little big in the first place.

 

I don't use gaskets on sumps, waterpumps, oilpumps on my own cars, just some threebond.

it may have moved when you were puttin it on if it seemed a little big in the first place.

 

I don't use gaskets on sumps, waterpumps, oilpumps on my own cars, just some threebond.

Have you any had any problems with threebond? How heat resistant is it? Could it be used at the join between the exhaust manifold & exhaust port?

i use three bond and Toyota silicone liquid gasket.

apply the silicone and let it cure abit and install.(i don't use gaskets!! )

I've had no issues before with Durapro ones. I would say you either put too much coon on it, you don't need loads and loads of the stuff, an even smear is ample. I've pulled a few motors apart where you'd swear they had shares in Permatex they use so much.

 

There is also a chance you overtightened the gasket and crushed it? K motors should have flanged studs which would mitigate this problem.

 

Also, a long shot is maybe you put a 3k gasket on, but I doubt it, they are noticeably different.

  • Author

definantly didnt use to much selant and i torqued the sump down to correct specs.

 

i might give toyota a call.

 

i only want to have to do this once, don't want to have to pull the motor again so id rather spend a bit more and seal it properly than have oil leaks.

 

Cheers guys, keep the sugestions coming

 

Matthew

Just like drc_ke20 said. I was taught years ago by a mechanic to throw away any rubber/cork sump gaskets that come in a gasket kit, they are inherently unreliable. Just use permatex blue or any other good quality oil safe silicone based sealant, I've never had a problem doing it this way.

INteresting, My sump gasket is also leaking (brand new too).

  • Author

well today i went to a local parts store and one of the guys there has been playing with corolla's a bit and he said that there are two different gaskets for 4k's.

 

now the difference is very small, but some of the studs in the bottom of the 4k's are different between models.

 

there is a sump gasket to suit all 4k's from 1978 to 1983 then anouther one for 4k's from 1983 to 1987.

 

i thought that they would all be the same but seeing as the motor in my car is from a 1984 KE70 rolla the gasket i have is the wrong one. so now i have the correct one we shall se if it makes any difference

  • 4 months later...
INteresting, My sump gasket is also leaking (brand new too).

 

My brand new ACL sump gasket is pissing out, apon inspection a piece of gasket hanging out the side SO ANNOYED

took months and a lot of driving to start leaking on kylie's corolla, not leaking much so I keep washing it every few months.

 

just silicone by itself i don't think would work. I didn't use a great deal of silicone on the rubber gasket when I put it together, I will be a lot more fussy next one I build.

 

Robert.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.