What Is Off Topic?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, the omg thread wasn't off topic. Someone said something about eating a hard burger. People replied to that talking about how gross burgers can be and about eating burgers in the middle of the night. We were all talking about burgers. Sounds pretty on topic to me. The only way to stay on topic would be to not reply to anyone else's "omg", but just say yours and piss off.

How about we all just make topics and no one replies. That way it can't get off topic at all. Perfect.

I really like Ravens idea. We can get out there and learn more, hence understand more and can contribute more to the technical sections for other people who need help.

And Trev, maybe it's because us South Australians actually have a sense of community and get along well with each other compared to other states. So stop bagging us!!

Edited by Jason KE30

I really like Ravens idea. We can get out there and learn more, hence understand more and can contribute more to the technical sections for other people who need help.

And Trav, maybe it's because us South Australians actually have a sense of community and get along well with each other compared to other states. So stop bagging us!!

Umm us QLDers have no problem with communicating via MSN, By phone or by seeing each other, Ever think about that being the reason that we don't flood the forum?

I see JiP once every 3 weeks or so and talk to him every week via phone or MSN, I see 4ages every week (sometimes every 3rd day), I don't see how it is hard for you lot to do it.

I'm completely disagreeing with one thing. "Off Topic is a side act to the main show".

You have to remember, half the members of this forum may not be as mechanically minded as you or i, therefore not having much else to contribute but their personalities. this is the corner of rollaclub for them to feel like they are a part of rollaclub, to contribute something other than what you feel you designed this forum for.

Edit: Basically I'm just trying to say, attention gets turned to this section of rollaclub because alot of people may not always have anything insightful to say anywhere else. This section may seem more lively tthen anywhere else, but it keeps rollaclub going. cause it would be much slower otherwise.

I agree with the above....I'm pretty upset about the locking of the OMG thread.. but I didn't know whether to send a PM or whether to make my feelings known to everyone, then this thread popped up, so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth....

As a relatively "new" member, with only 1000+ posts (crap I missed out which one was my 1000th!), although I've been here for 3 years, I dare say that 95% of my posts have been "off topic", down here in south australia generally, we, as a club, don't have too many get-togethers and the only time we see each other, or talk to each other is through rollaclub. You guys up in QLD quite obviously get together on a regular basis or see each other in your day to day lives.

Each day, I come home from work and log onto rollaclub, to see what everyone else has been up to, and to post up what I've been doing, whether to the car, or WGMG or OMG!, it makes me feel like a part of the club, even though I can't really contribute any "real" mechanical know how, I love my car, and I work on my car, but I don't feel as though I can, with authority direct anyone how to do anything complex.

BY removing the OMG, I feel restricted in the contact I have with rollaclub members, I don't think it's fair that you are limiting the topics of discussion, just to cars, the OMG thread was a rambling, funny, weird and interactive thread not specifically car related, but alot of fun never-the-less, and brought together the members from australia wide ..... or did you want us to just post what happened to the day and not respond to anybody elses post?

Remember, people meet each other for the first time on these forums and if we're restricted in what we can say/post, we have nothing to talk about, no openers... I go to cruises and meets by myself, as a woman, it's pretty hard to be taken seriously at the big cruises, the guys always think you're someones girlfriend/wife. Quite often, I don't know anyone there, but if my car and my name are recognised, people come up to me and introduce themselves as members of rollaclub and I know at some point I've spoken to them in the past and they're "safe". The flip side, is that if I see a car, I can approach them (like Ryan when he broke his diff) and say "sorry to hear about the diff, what's happening with it now?"

Basically what I'm trying to say is that when we're shooting shit in the OMG and WGMG threads we're developing a history with each other, which is essentially the basis for any Club.

Why else would I put a rollaclub sticker on my car? Why else would I enter my car in car shows under the rollaclub banner? Why else would I associate with other rollaclub members? Basically, I want to feel as though I belong to rollaclub...

If the real problem is bandwith, the thread being too long, then is there a resolution?, ie. making the threads smaller, ie. part 1 or 2 etc.,? Or if it's taking up too much of your time, could that one thread have it's own moderator? I'm sure there would be plenty of people willing to do it.

Lesley :D

Umm us QLDers have no problem with communicating via MSN, By phone or by seeing each other, Ever think about that being the reason that we don't flood the forum?

I see JiP once every 3 weeks or so and talk to him every week via phone or MSN, I see 4ages every week (sometimes every 3rd day), I don't see how it is hard for you lot to do it.

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, some members live too far away from other members to have this kind of contact with each other?

And I agree totally with what soulsearcher said, you get to know people and I think that that puts "community" into the online community or club that rollaclub is.

I'm also very keen on the workshops :D

Lesley :D

Lesley you aswell as Raven are 2 people that I know of that are the ghosts of the SA section, Probably due to the fact that you are long time members.

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, some members live too far away from other members to have this kind of contact with each other?

:cool: you are using the internet right now aren't you to post on rollaclub?

I thought MSN was part of the interwebs, I may be wrong.

Lesley you aswell as Raven are 2 people that I know of that are the ghosts of the SA section, Probably due to the fact that you are long time members.

:cool: you are using the internet right now aren't you to post on rollaclub?

I thought MSN was part of the interwebs, I may be wrong.

but if we use any I'm program, then we're creating a closed community rather than an open forum, if I had used I'm you wouldn't know of me :D

but if we use any I'm program, then we're creating a closed community rather than an open forum, if I had used I'm you wouldn't know of me :D

Talking about the general chat off topic, Having a conversation with someone in a thread is pretty pointless, If you wanna have a convo use MSN or pm or something, That's what i'm talking about.

Kudos Lesley. Words of wisdom :D

Same pretty much happens with the few forums i'm apart of. The SA cruise scene is pretty quiet.

And i think being able to be annon.... (brain fart) online, you can be more like yourself rather than pretending to be someone your not without being judged by the way they look or something like that.

Without an area to act as an opener for members to interact with each other like the off topic section, i have a feeling some of the community feel will be lost.