Will A Ke70 Survive A Trip Adelaide To Sydney?

Tally

surprised that noone mentioned this but....

if you don't flog the piss out of it you'll have much better chances of making it!

You can always just cruise. I drove my old Galant 1.6 back Melbourne>Adelaide. Had a heart stopper when I pulled up at bordertown and after 15 minutes sitting there, a huge puddle of oil appeared. Front timing seal was knackered but was holding while running, once it was stopped the oil would run back down the galleries.

Also take Cable ties and Gaffer tape.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, cable ties, 100mile racing tape (fibre tabe), some electrical tape, a tube of high temp silicon, some rags and some chemiweld.

That and a general tool kit (ie. shifter, spanners to suit the car, maybe a socket or 5 + ratchet, screwdrivers, pliers and some side cutters)

The only Other thing I would recommend is to change the oil and filter once you are in sydney for a good drive back.

cheers,

Chris

a tin of radiator stop leak! (in case you hit a kangaroo)

.... years ago, I drove my KE55 from Adelaide to Sydney, I did 80klms all the way there (I was on my P's) and back then we were only allowed to do 80!

That and it's only safe to do 80 with Standard fuel and cross-ply tyres. :(

Sounds like you have everything covered. Few extra things like when did you last change the diff oil ? and make sure your wheel alignment is sweet.

Things that commonly go wrong on a long trip fanbelt/alternator belt snapping, coolant hose magically becomes swollen and splits, fuel leaks or fuel supply problems and ignition problems such as a coil/points check the little nuts and bolts all around and inside the distributor check the wires are insulated through the distributotr housing.

Id carry an extra ignition lead a long one,fan belt,coil,dizzy cap and rotor,points. spare both top and botton radaitor hoses and some heater hose and maybe a little piece of pipe like an old heater core pipe to join hoses if need be, fuses,10amp wire crimp connectors and the tool or if you good with pliers will do,10L of water, a can of "start ya bastard".

Cable ties and tape as mentioned exhaust sealant,decent silicone sealant,chemiweld small assortment of screws/nuts/bolts.

And of course all the tools required to deal with such problems and parts replacements or modifications.

The amount of stuff i carried on the Great ocean road trip was about a 3rd of what the RAA would carry, ive only mentioned a small amout here :(

Hope ive helped alot of good idea others have too.

When or if get the chance id drive my AE71 to Darwin or QLD no problems.

............yes?

Hey guys

Wanting to head up to sydney next couple of weeks.

Everyone says fly down its cheap rah rah rah but I hate planes and think its boring.

So I was thinking id go up in my KE70.

Ill have my AE86 suspension and brakes in before I go aswell as my manual conversion.

No way ill drive up in the auto... it would blow up, 100kmh = 5000rpm lol

I'm pretty confident the 4K can handle it... I mean at highway speed it handles well... got new tires..

Drove down to Victor Harbour, and also up to Nuriootpa few times, everything sweet.

Basically just be me and a mate and some luggage...

or ill have to resort to my dads old 95 Hiace... probebly a better option...

I'd say so.. In addition to everything mentioned, I'd bring a wire stripper or a sharp blade. For me atleast, living in Norway with our road salt, copper carbonate on the cable terminals is a problem.. And what's worse, when you're near the terminals, the wires break off due to 25+ years of being exposed to air and salt. I'm no electrician by trade, but needless to say I've got some experience with terminals and wires in my time with the KE70 :wink:

Edited by eiriksmil

I got a letter today that made me think of something for this thread.

roadside assistance!

Not for the actual blokes mechanical aptitude (or lack thereof) but for their tools.

I joined an NRMA program called "free2go" when I was like 17.

It gave me free roadside assistance until I was 19 years old, (to a limit of 4 calls per year I think)

I only ever used it once whe I was 18, stuck in the basement carpark of the resort we were staying at for schoolies with a crook Ider pulley on my VR commodores. The belt slipped off, and all I had was a shifter that wanted to strip the bolt.

rang the NRMA line (RACQ cover their clients out of state) and when the bloke turned up, I just stole his 18mm ring spanner and a few other tools and he sat and watched me.

would have been screwed without it.

so long as the car makes it outta the driveway it'll make it anywhere.......of wait, you're thinking of taking a ke70. forget what i said :wink:

honestly, just a basic tool set, bottle of chemiweld, 5L of oil, 10L of water and a gregory's will get you thru.

• 3 weeks later...

yea sorry guys been real busy... work and stuff

ended up going down to melbourne over the easter weekend...

wicked trip, car didnt miss a beat... just took all the basic stuff you guys said like tools and spare parts...

I stopped every 2nd town or so, so it went really well... although the 4K was struggled up the steep hills lol...

Cheers for the help guys...

still will be going up to sydney though... thats another day though lol... probebly christmas break ill go up...