20v Ae71 - Nana Always Needed More Powah!!

LukeAE71

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I did some more work to it over the weekend in preparation for the tune this week.

I fitted my thermofan again as the fitting tabs that came with it were appalling and it nearly fell off while I was driving. I bought a fitting kit from Repco and it is now snug.

I had originally ran it without the thermostat in but in order to tune I will need it to get up to operating temp. I installed the thermostat with the gasket that was supplied with the fitting. As soon as I started it the gasket blew itself to pieces and I lost a whole lot of coolant all over the driveway :bash:

Also since the thermostat was installed there was some backpressure and this unveiled a whole lot of leaks in my radiator hose fitment which did not show before without all the pressure.

I have re-installed my thermostat, thrown a whole lot of sealant around the fitting and I will wait til tonight to run it again. I have also tightened all the radiator hoses where there were leaks so hoping tonight when I start it I won't lose the whole lot again.

I really want to have the cooling system 100% before I get the tune. :y:

Finally got my cooling system sorted out last night, works a treat now and no leaks at all. It gets up to temperature quite quick and you can really keep a close eye on the temp due to the Microtech dash display. Money well spent with that thing.

Also fitted my new trumpets, sadly they don't fit by about 2 mm. The only area of concern is that they touch the brake booster just. This was more emphasised though when cranking the engine over and also when shutting down. When it was running they do not touch. While it is being tuned today I am getting them to machine a smidge off so they will work.

I still ran it with them on, and my god the bark from them is amazing!! I imagine they will give more power than the ones I have on there at the moment too.

Car is being tuned over the next few days. They need it for a few days to get the cold start right. :P

I took some pics last night of the trumpets on and will put them up tomorrow. They look awesome :bash:

Glad to hear they arrived ok Luke

Looking forward to some pics........and a vid with sound :P

Thanks Andrew they arrived just in time :y: I am little crabby they have to be molested but that is not your fault. On the T3 website they fit fine because the car is LHD and no brake or clutch cylinders to get in the way. They nearly fit and it is sooooo close :hmm:

I took a vid on my phone so i will msg it to you hope you can receive vids :wink:

EDIT: got a call from the tuner today to advise that I have a base map for 3SGTE turbo on my Microtech. I am now going to be asking some questions of the seller. I am not pointing any blame at this stage however the packaging had 4AGE 20V written on the outside so someone has made a stuff up. As it will be $300 for a new base map I am not impressed at all. :bash:

Edited by LukeAE71

Geeeeeez that sucks that you have to pay for them to delete something that takes like 5 minutes to delete.. then what? do they have to make a totally new base map then modify it from there or what? ohh well, when its all running sweet in the end you will relise that it was all for a good cause :bash:

Pictures tonight aye?? Sweet cannot wait haha.

Wow I can't believe I only just noticed htis thread,

Your lucky the ignition timing is the same, it actually might be different, when you get the correct basemap on You will notice it will perform alot better i think.

And its more than $300 for a new base map, hence the reason ive sold my microtech lt10s and gone for building my own megasquirt ecu.

Looks great though, What do you have to do for engineering? Also what suspension are you going to be running?

Travis.

Wow I can't believe I only just noticed htis thread,

Your lucky the ignition timing is the same, it actually might be different, when you get the correct basemap on You will notice it will perform alot better i think.

And its more than $300 for a new base map, hence the reason ive sold my microtech lt10s and gone for building my own megasquirt ecu.

Looks great though, What do you have to do for engineering? Also what suspension are you going to be running?

Travis.

Trav

I spoke to the tuner and it turns out he is the Microtech Dealer for SA. He reckons that the car will perform much the same, but with a bit of a difference up top around 8000 rpm. He said I will miss about 5 - 6 kw also in overall power. I told him I was reluctant to pay the extra $300 at this stage and for him to just tune it. He is getting me a quote for the remap and said he can get better deals being a distributor for their product and it 'might' be cheaper than $300. I hope he is right. Even then I will have to have it tuned again after the remap to get the top end (8000 rpm) plus power right.

I bought my Microtech brand new and I have already paid for it to be installed selling it now is not an option :P

As far as engineering goes here in SA I should be ok as is. My car was originally an AE71 so 1.6L and the new motor is 1.6L. Also the engine prefixes are the same (4Axxxx) so it will just be a simple advise of engine no. change.

I am going to run standard suspension with lowered springs (4.5kg rear and 6kg front).

After driving it the other day even though it was not to it's full potential I can see the need already for some sort of brake upgrade :bash:

Pics of trumpets as promised

post-7149-1244159001_thumb.jpg

post-7149-1244159009_thumb.jpg

post-7149-1244159019_thumb.jpg

You can see the trumpet is just touching the brake booster.. prob needs about 2mm taken off the rim to make it fit. The sounds is insane. :bash:

Yes my engine needs some tidying up, when it is running I will turn my focus to making it look pretty!!

Ok cool, yea just engine number change for me too.

Wish i new a microtech dealer, it would have saved me time and money cause now i have to make my own loom and ecu and tune it and map it all by myself :y:

You should look into Matt's suspension, he seemed to have set that up real nice, ie LittleRedSpirit

Yea definately gonna need a brake upgrade, your better off doing the big disc and brake off a commo of some sort that I have on some spare stuts i hae lying around.

Especially if you want to keep your standard struts, also isnt there a peugot/hilux brake upgrade? what diff are you running?

Those velocity stacks are very nice, I'm lucky I want hp not torque so I'm going as short as possible velocity stacks.

Really good build though man, nice and quick, i could have done mine quick but I want it more upgraded than stock. Get something different than that stupid bubble looking cam gear cover, man i hate those, get something simlar to a 16v/rb25/rb20 look on the cam covers/cam gear covers. That would suit the boxy car better I think.

:bash:

Travis.

This car is more of a daily driver for me.... so I am not too fussed about it's overall handling abilities. I am more concerned with it being comfortable and safe. I know it sounds completely different to what everyone else goes for but I built this car for me.

:y:

I have my eyes on the T3 brake setup, and that only requires an upgrade to AE86 struts from what I have read so far.

post-7149-1244167002.jpg yum :bash:

For now though I will enjoy as is. I have envisaged that the theme, etc will change for this build so when it is less required as a daily things will start to get more hardcore.

Thanks for the nice comments Trav - makes me :D

Edited by LukeAE71

Well if all you need to do is upgrade to ae86 struts, then do that anyway but use jdm struts. will provide more than enough braking for what you need it for. They come stock with ventilated rotors.

That way you wont need the exxy T3 setup, and if you don't feel the brakes are good enough, you could buy a t3 setup for it, sell the jdm discs for profit, or even fit rx7 calipers to it. There are many upgrades, and there probably better and cheaper than what you could get from T3.

No worries man :bash:

Ya did the same for me, only returning the favour really :y:

Cheers.

Travis.