Work Photos

Temperamental photocopier? The photocopier isn't so bad, but the we do have an extremely temperamental printer. It gets paper jammed in places we never knew even existed. Constantly. I can so imagine someone stealing it, bringing it to a big deserted field and bashing the crap out of it with a baseball bat :)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people whose name can't be pronounced fall into the "alphabet" family :D i have a couple of tech support contacts in sydney who are big wogs with surnames that incorporate more letters than a can of alphagetti, so they get called "george alphabet" and "harry alphabet" respectively :) i also some someone who i don't like talking to, so he's in my phone as "peter f@$kface" :)

This was my office for a while

apparently I'm not supposed to hit the "Emergency stop"...ever! (what I'm supposed to do I'll never know...I don't think anyone does)

that looks a lot like my work!

only instead of one big console i have 2 smaller ones.. and i get joysticks and a tv screen w00t.

just gotta figure out how to hook up a PS2 to it :)

Redwarf: Are you in maintenance? I'm currently studying avionics :)

That would therefore make you a "conehead"! :)

Sadly, yes, I do play with planes. I'm just getting back in the game again after a ten month break, working for Virgin Tech based out of MEL, but still living in Brissie. Basically, I don't know anywhere else I can make that sort of money.

Basically, I don't know anywhere else I can make that sort of money.

I guess the maintenance crews here in Melb don't get the same paypacket as you then. Those blokes go on strike at least 3-4 times a year over pay and working conditions.

Most people i know would kill to have job like that (including myself).

Basically, I don't know anywhere else I can make that sort of money.

I guess the maintenance crews here in Melb don't get the same paypacket as you then. Those blokes go on strike at least 3-4 times a year over pay and working conditions.

Most people i know would kill to have job like that (including myself).

Very touchy subject, and I'm advising you not to go there unless you are EXCEEDINGLY well informed.

The money is a side issue, however conditions have been continually degraded over recent years. At the end of the day, YOUR life is in our hands as much as in the pilots.

Aviation is in such a state at the moment, that if you were considering a job in it, I'd tell you to become a plumber.

Edited by Redwarf

Nah i'm not about to jump into the aviation industry. I was serious about it when i was 18 - I even applied for the Air Force and made it to the 4th round of interviews when i lost my temper and got into a verbal argument with the interviewer. Hence i didnt get a callback.

Now i'm happily working as a Shopfitter.

These days, the closest i get to planes is the many airshows i go to.

P.S - I don't have a camera phone so i can't contribute here. But just imagine a few big panel saws and numerous other bits of expensive machinery.

Mmmm Big Boys toys.

now for the tricky bit: what does everyone actually do?

i mostly drive around fixing things. ATMs, bank hardware, POS systems (coles, woolies, target, kmart, etc) as well as contract warranty computer stuff and just PCs and networks for small businesses and home customers in the area.

my work car is an xc holden combo. it's got a good stereo and aircon. it's so slow it makes my econovan feel fast

What do I do? As little as humanly possible! :)

Licensed Aircraft Engineer. Licensed on Boeing 737-300 to -900 Airframes and CFM56-3 and -7 Engines. Carrying out, supervising and certifying maintenance for a company with large red aircraft.

Part time driver, Holden Stormriders. Crappy job, but someone has to do it. :)

I also still dabble a bit with Heavy Vehicle telemetry and diagnostic systems.

Edited by Redwarf

I work for Samsung.

I pretend to know what I'm doing most of the time :)

The other times I try and get rid of my internet history :)

Nah I am licensed to install, program and train on samsung office phone systems. I also do project management, warehousing, and in house training. Lots of fun :D

I mostly develop web applications for the university. Most of the stuff I do relates to the student system we call QUT Virtual, which is sort of the system that controls the timetables, enrolments, student data, grades, and most other things that students do. QUT Virtual also services staff, with administration functions etc to control what happens in and around the university.

It's a huge system, with a huge database, massive amounts of storage (we just purchased 6 terabytes for the project that I've just released as a pilot to some students), and runs on a several clusters of servers.

Being a government organisation, there's a lot of politics involved in the workplace, and I'm slowly being educated in all of it, being newly put into a more team-leader position than the peon I was before. I code mostly in PL/SQL, although I've been throwing a lot of Javascript and CSS into my code lately, and also some Perl and a touch of Java here and there. We're supposedly slowly migrating to Java, but I'm not holding my breath.

Some days, when I'm not coding, I run workshops at uni. Tomorrow I get to run a 2.5 hour workshop all by myself, it's going to be interesting. Usually I only run at most 45 minute sessions.

And the days when I'm not working for QUT, I am sometimes "working" in the Sherrin Mini, and other times I help run the driver training sessions at Mt Cotton with Sideline Motorsports.

I work at James Hardie

pushing buttons on a machine so it doesn't crap itself.. it never wants to run properly by itself.

but yeah the only bad thing is the fibre cement dust gives you snotimus maximus... and probably silicosis but it's all good. at least it's not asbestos anymore!