Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke55 Spruce

Featured Replies

Awesome job mate! Would love to see how the paint job turned out in person. How did you get in all the nooks and cranny's with the roller?? I don't know if I would have the patience to be able to do something like that. I think I'd just go with a compressor. Enamel paint is quite difficult to get off once it's on isn't it?

Not sure about Oh-KE, but I used a sponge brush for "nooks and cranny's". Found it to be quite effective, but you gotta be careful not to get too much paint in on any one layer. Biggest trap of the whole gig is to try to see full coverage in the first layer or two. You don't really see full coverage until the third coat if done correctly.

 

Not everyone has the access to a compressor or room to shoot a car or in fact the know-how. This is a way that the average Joe can paint his car very cheap in a rather confined garage. Although..... watch the fumes...... :bash:

Not everyone has the access to a compressor or room to shoot a car or in fact the know-how. This is a way that the average Joe can paint his car very cheap in a rather confined garage. Although..... watch the fumes...... :bash:

 

 

Thanks for the advice Chobis,

 

I'm gonna paint my car in the garage, but i will use papers or sheets to cover the other things in the garage and aswell use papers, sheets or take out the other the stuff not being painted on the car.

 

Cheers, Josh

  • Author

OK so I have it back on the road again very happy with how it turned out. Colour is very bright and glossy. I love it! It certainly grabs your attention... Here comes the pics....

 

 

IMG_1426.jpg

 

IMG_1423.jpg

 

IMG_1424.jpg

 

IMG_1425.jpg

 

IMG_1428.jpg

 

IMG_1429.jpg

 

IMG_1430.jpg

 

IMG_1431.jpg

 

IMG_1432.jpg

 

 

What do you think?

 

Apart from needing to be lower hehe which is the next thing I will be doing. :bash:

Wow!! Looks neat and at the same time, awesome!!

 

Also love the way you put on a sort-of modern corolla badge on the grille instead of the old corolla badge.

 

Cheers, Josh :bash:

Edited by ewt

Staggered how good that looks - I was expecting much worse from a roller!

 

Well done.

Thanks for the advice Chobis,

 

I'm gonna paint my car in the garage, but i will use papers or sheets to cover the other things in the garage and aswell use papers, sheets or take out the other the stuff not being painted on the car.

 

Cheers, Josh

 

Make sure you take extra care with sheeting and masking everything off. I thought I protected everything really well in my shed when I resprayed my 55's rear, but there still managed to be overspray in inexplicable places.

 

 

Anyway, OHke, this car looks really schmick with that paint job, I was one of those non-believers who didn't think you could get a good paint job from a roller, I was wrong!

 

It sounds like you have a lot of patience from what I've read about this technique - I don't think I could ever do this and come out with as good results as you have

 

Great job!

  • Author

Thanks everyone. Been great driving it around last couple of days. Heaps of positive feedback! Everyone loves the paint + extra chrome and so do I.

 

The car runs better now too! :bash:

 

 

 

Near future plans are-

 

- Purchase K-mac custom height front springs and install them as well as my inverted eye leaves.

 

- Upgrade sound system so I can actually hear it.

 

Distant future plans-

 

- Either 5k or some work on the 4k, maybe Weber + extractors or something.. will have plenty of time to think it over though!!

  • 2 weeks later...

Wow mate. Your car has come far. Its looking great. Where did the writing go on the tires?? I like your touch in filling that little hole left from the wrap around KE55 bars.

 

Man you make it look so easy, well done!!

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So the latest news on my rolla is that it is a write off. :sob:

 

Got T-boned by a Magna wagon.

 

Got no pics to show but the passenger side is crunched badly. The middle window piller is bent in so much that the roof is bent and the front left pillar is bent so that the windscreen cracked and doors are mashed and can't be opened.

 

Was lucky there was no passengers at the time because they may have been hurt.

 

 

 

 

HOWEVER I am not giving up on the old corollas and I am looking for another one of around the same age so that I can use this car as a parts car as it still has a lot of good parts

 

I am thinking maybe a wagon but haven't found anything yet..

Bloody hell!, this is the second ke I have heard of in the last couple of days being crunched.

 

NO good mate :sob: especially after all that work on the paint.

mate this is terrible news.... I'm so sorry to hear that..... I think this makes so much worse reading knowing how much work you put into that car........ One thing I can be certain of is that the next car you get will also look sensational and in fact probably even better as you fine tune your skills. The best bit is that you are okay cos you obviously got a fair thump.

OHHHH bugger

 

How the hell did that happen?? Its not like you can't be seen with that bright orange color.

 

Sad to hear after all that work but chin up time for another project bigger and better now that you have had practice.

 

Cheers

Woz & Josh

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.