Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Increased Rocker Ratio On A K Motor ?

Featured Replies

I second that. I have only little experience with the Vizard books, but A. Graham Bell's book is my personal bible!

 

There's great stuff on there.

 

Good luck with the build, and well done on asking the question. If there were good options out there, it would be worth knowing about! Unfortunately there isn't, but generally it hasn't been a limitation either.

  • Author

Cheers,

 

Will also pick the brains of a relative of mine. He was one of Harry Firths 1st apprentices and built engines with him

and Ian Tate. Hopefully some of his knowledge will be transferable to K motors.

  • 6 months later...
  • Author
I second that. I have only little experience with the Vizard books, but A. Graham Bell's book is my personal bible!

 

There's great stuff on there.

 

Good luck with the build, and well done on asking the question. If there were good options out there, it would be worth knowing about! Unfortunately there isn't, but generally it hasn't been a limitation either.

 

I'm currently reading Bell's book and I must agree with you.

I still plan on considering options such as a higher rocker ratio, but yes roller rockers are a bit beyond the scope of the build. In hindsight, I really did not express myself well to start with. I still plan on building a mildish 5k, the main aim being to have a killer midrange and useable powerband. The engine will be in for a few years so I plan on spending a bit of time and money getting it right.

I will look into various options more, as I want to end up with a well suited engine to my needs that has a nice amount of punch where I need it.

Just though Id pop my head in and let you know Yella Terra make off the shelf roller rockers for a K motor.

 

$998 a set when I last priced had none in stock. But will make more to sell if you buy 10 sets..LOL

 

So put me off as I would never find 10 people willing to spend $998 on roller rockers for a K motor but hey Yella terra do/did make them. There are sets out there a set was on evil bay a while back sold for $700. So keep your eyes open.

 

Cheers

Cameron

  • Author
Just though Id pop my head in and let you know Yella Terra make off the shelf roller rockers for a K motor.

 

$998 a set when I last priced had none in stock. But will make more to sell if you buy 10 sets..LOL

 

So put me off as I would never find 10 people willing to spend $998 on roller rockers for a K motor but hey Yella terra do/did make them. There are sets out there a set was on evil bay a while back sold for $700. So keep your eyes open.

 

Cheers

Cameron

 

Lol, not the cheapest upgrade for a k motor ! They are not really what I am after, especially at that price. In good time I will look at different rocker dimensions (without going for rollers) and see what is possible. If it's not possible then so be it, but at least I will have looked into it.

I understand a great amount will be in cam choice and headwork, but that does not stop me wanting to investigate options that others have seldom done or bothered investigating.

 

Thanks for letting me know Cam, I think your response is somewhat more productive than simply telling me "get a cam grind", because funnily enough I might have also thought of that ! lol

 

Cheers,

Dougal

Edited by Doogs

I think almost any gain you get will be lost in extra power needed to push the valve open $700 for rollers for a 5k and 1000 for a complete 7k with fuel injection, i know which way i would go

HAHAH Taz I bid $695 on them they would suit my half built 5K :locked: But net dropped out and the winner got them for like $705 but rang the seller he used to be in speed way so I beta few old speed way guys have some good K motor gear kicking around.

 

Doogs I rang Yella terra when I saw these roller rockers for sale. He said they still have patterns and all for these and could make them a bit different if needed i.e change ratio so if your pockets are deep ring them they could do it.

 

But again I know the vavles on a ported K motor are to small id invest in getting bigger valves before pushing them open more. As even TRD motors didn't run roller rockers just shot peened stock ones and bigger valves so id look more into this path worked for TRD so see what you can do.

 

Cheers

Cameron

  • Author
HAHAH Taz I bid $695 on them they would suit my half built 5K :thumbsup: But net dropped out and the winner got them for like $705 but rang the seller he used to be in speed way so I beta few old speed way guys have some good K motor gear kicking around.

 

Doogs I rang Yella terra when I saw these roller rockers for sale. He said they still have patterns and all for these and could make them a bit different if needed i.e change ratio so if your pockets are deep ring them they could do it.

 

But again I know the vavles on a ported K motor are to small id invest in getting bigger valves before pushing them open more. As even TRD motors didn't run roller rockers just shot peened stock ones and bigger valves so id look more into this path worked for TRD so see what you can do.

 

Cheers

Cameron

 

Thanks for the advice Cameron. I have been thinking for a while now that I would spend the $ and get some larger valves with ports to suit. (This engine is likely to be in the car for a few years so I am happy to spend a few grand on it.) I am glad to have had my suspicions about valves confirmed. I understand the rocker change is not really critical for a good power increase but mused that it might be worth it, (at a reasonable price).

 

Cheers,

Dougal

  • 13 years later...

A few years on.

https://www.ikengineering.co.uk/product-page/toyota-3-4-5-7k-roller-rocker-kit-1-63-ratio

GBP648 (AUD $1240) inc VAT on their website

GBP825 (AUD $1578) inc VAT on their ebay site?

That's a lot of money.  And doesn't include postage.

No current listing on Yella Terra.  

I'm thinking of investing in some new pushrods and leaving it at that!  NLA from Toyota but I see there is a crowd that specialise in pushrod manufacture.  

Jet Engineering.  And they are in Victoria!  Shall see how much they are.

 https://www.jetengpushrods.com.au/

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.