Cruise Control In The Sixties?? Lol

KeRoLLin

:dance: driving home tonight i forgot i still had the choke open all the way... :yes:

at the lights i eased off the brakes and let her cruise all the way home... maxed out at 58kmph haha

is this ok?? in the manual it says never drive with choke fully opened... :y:

Members dont see this ad

A choke doesn't work by adding more fuel to make it richer..... It restricts the air supply to make it richer. Hence you would have had attrotious fuel economy for your 58kmh drive.

My brother is into Fiats and his 128 has a "fast idle" pull nob next to the choke. Basically has the same effect as the choke (increases RPM) but its connected to the main throttle shaft so its just like have your foot down ~10%. That's real 70's cruise control for ya. :dance:

• 5 weeks later...
:) driving home tonight i forgot i still had the choke open all the way... :y:

at the lights i eased off the brakes and let her cruise all the way home... maxed out at 58kmph haha

is this ok?? in the manual it says never drive with choke fully opened... :wink:

Not really the best thing to do. As said above, fuel economy decreases and it can also cause plumes of smoke out the exhaust. I accidently left my choke out a couple weeks ago and only noticed when i was flying up south rd hill and looked in my rearview mirror to see huge amounts of smoke coming out the back of my car. I pretty much poo'd myself since I have only just had the motor rebuilt. Then people started beeping at me as they went past and making nasty signals at me. I guess they were thinking that old car shouldn't be on the road. Anyway I realised I had the choke all the way open so shut it off. It still took a while for the smoke to stop coming out the exhaust though. Then when I got to my destination I found black silt all up the back of my car from it. Nice!

ive done that choke thing before but i realised for every 50km you drive it uses about the same amount of fuel as driving 100km :wink:

ive heard of people using vice grips as cruise control :)

lol

ive done it by wedging the pedal with my shoe but yeh wouldnt recommend it as mine didnt have shoelaces which is only reason it didnt get stuck :y: