Scrap Lsd: To Confirm It Useable

20V_KE35

Members dont see this ad

well id check its a lsd for sure by rotating the hubs to make sure its not a normal diff, then see what mechanical condition is like as best as possible... check it rotates smoothly with minimal play of the gears, no chunks of metal inside, cleanish oil, teeth don't have scores or gouges or chunks missing... maybe someone else can be more specific but there are many types of lsd so you need to be looking for more specific details depending on type.

um well do you know what kind of lsd it is, cos there are so many so you need to look for the specific type of lsd wear/condition etc. a lot of secondhand lsds are worn, anyway most wreckers give a 3 month warranty on parts, so fit it, test it and if it doesnt work bring it back asap!

wouldn't this matter on the slip rate of the lsd and its' initial torque loading? these are good guides to find out if a diff is open or limo (or locked) but i'd think the only way to really test an lsd is to have someone look at it who knows what they're looking at, or just bolt it in and give it some shit :dance:

I was under the impression that if you turned one axle on any diff, the other axle would turn. It's just that if it's an LSD it will turn the opposite way to the way the other axle on a non-LSD diff would turn. I think that makes sense. :)

However, if it's non-LSD you can stop one axle turning while continuing to turn the other. Correct?

Not quite. With an LSD both wheels will turn the same direction (like a locker). With an open diff they'll turn opposite directions.

With an open diff yes, if you stop one wheel you can still turn the other (twice as fast as if both wheels were turning)

• 1 month later...
i was think to save some money first before to get a LSD.

weld diff...some say it can be dangerous when driving in high speed.Is it true? :D

it can be dangerous yes

but crossing the street can also be dangerous in some way..

just make sure your handbrake work, since your car will understeer alot, and that will safe your life / car / cat / dog or whatever... and with it's not understeering it's oversteering..

tyre wear will be much greater.. you will have problems finding parking spaces you can actually park in without using 30 minutes..

I just had to add these picture, of my doing some serious driftz with my mad driftz skillz with my locker last winter :):P:P

dsc00263.jpg

dsc00266.jpg

I think you should wait untill you get the LSD..