Fitting A Thermo Fan Advice Please?

mitch_mac

hey guys ive just picked up a ice thermo fan for my ke55 4k

now the wireing is no issue I'm wondering about fitting it to the radiator it says to push a whole through the fins and out the other side and bolt it on

ive never done this befor and wanting to no if thats the right way cuz I'm worried bout stuffing a radiator it doesnt seem right to me

anyways any help would be great

cheers mitch

Members dont see this ad

yes you push the long thing bolts threw the FINS between the tubes

if you try and jimmy the bolt threw the tube part then you will spring a leak. chances are that if its the original radiator then the fins will very brittle and crumble away as you push it threw.

the tubes run vertical and fins go horizontal.

confused you? ive done well then.

Either way works fine. I had the Cable tie style mounts that go between the fins and then you slide the locking ring down like a cable tie. Never had a problem.

The Cable tie ones are the easiest if you don't have the skills to make up mounts to go across your radiator. Plus being plastic, if you do press them up against the tubes, they will just flex out of the way.

Jaysus Evan.. you have come a long way - recommending someone do things the right way!! :P

Definitely get some tabs or a bracket made up and do it properly. The other way works, but its one step away from a leaky radiator!

i only recommend things ive done before :P

gessus you guys are weak c**ts :P

i have never made brackets, always bolted it directly threw.

with my old rad, and new rad..

its one way to ensure that the fan is hard up against it so it can draw max air threw.

you would have to be seriously dope to fk the radiator and make it leak.

the BEST way to do it is with a big shroud so air is drawn in from the whole core and not just where the fan is. they have that set-up on au falcon? hence why its popular to retro fit to other cars.

Edited by tas_ae71

yeah I'm with mr tas_ae71

i put a thermo fan on my little 4k radiator a few years back. just put the little cable tie things through the fins and its been fine.

the main thing to make sure is that it is tight against the radiator, and it is KEPT tight. the way you are gonna destroy your radiator is by the fan moving around, and rubbing up against the radiator (on bumps etc). wearing through the metal fins/channels.

obviosly the best way is to make some brackets. or better yet, get a new radiator that has factory thermo fans built in. they are also better because they have a shroud built in. popular options being hyundai excel or camry. pretty much anything FWD.

mounting the thermo to the radiator core is not a good idea, because over time the fan will vibrate a LOT, and eventually damamge the tubes and fvck the radiator core... springing a leak eventually.

Make brakets. Its farken EASY!

Go to bunnings

buy aluminium angle and flat plate

buy selection of suitable bolts

go home

cut and bolt up to suit

???

profit.

18RGE-002.jpg

ah i see what you mean by brackets..

ill be going with twin falcon thermo's with shroud for my cressy..

edit, you could also put a bit of rubber or somehting around the fan so it wouldnt vibrate etc against the radiator.

Edited by tas_ae71