V6 Into 4age Ae92 Gti

RurouniNimaj

Members dont see this ad
Hey,

I'm looking to up the power in my AE92 GTi.

I've thought about 4agze but I'm also thinking of something more 'out there'.

I was wondering if anyone had done a conversion to a V6?

Or if anyone knows if mounts line up for any v6 blocks?

Thanks,

Pretty crazy idea! Would be cool if someone's done it :)

Hey,

I'm looking to up the power in my AE92 GTi.

I've thought about 4agze but I'm also thinking of something more 'out there'.

I was wondering if anyone had done a conversion to a V6?

Or if anyone knows if mounts line up for any v6 blocks?

Thanks,

Have you had a look at how small an AE92 engine bay is? Try and imagine where the heads would sit, and you'll see that you'll run into a lot of interference problems with radiator and firewall, maybe not with the heads themselves but the exhaust and other ancillaries definitely. Plus they're a lot of weight for arguably not much more power than you'll get out of a decent 4AGZE/GTE conversion. The gearbox would probably be the least of your worries, because 1MZ and 3VZ Toyota V6s out of the Camry use an E-series gearbox, same series as the 4AGZE.

Still, I recommend you do a _lot_ more research before even considering this. I have not seen a single V6 AE92 ever, and I think that is a good commentary on why it hasn't been done before. Even 3S conversions are rare because of how difficult and heavy they are, and that's only for a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine.

- V6 fits in later model Corolla shells...if you are remotely serious, measure up a new corolla engine bay and compare with the AE92 bay.

Current Corollas are _significantly_ larger than AE92s. I remember seeing a comparo where the current ZRE152 was larger in just about every critical dimension (length, width, height, weight etc) than an SV21 Camry, which was around at the same time as the AE92 Corollas.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Current Corollas are _significantly_ larger than AE92s. I remember seeing a comparo where the current ZRE152 was larger in just about every critical dimension (length, width, height, weight etc) than an SV21 Camry, which was around at the same time as the AE92 Corollas.

Off topic: SV21s had a V6 in them. It was a 2.5 litre quad cam, and might be smaller than later V6s...auto only though, unless you can find a very rare lexus es250 manual from Japan :bash: Also mazda has done a couple of V6s in corolla sized cars - mx3 and 323 mantis. I am fairly sure some lunatics have swapped the small V6s from these models (1.8 and 2.0L) for the larger 2.5L V6 from the same engine family. So might be possible. Also this looks real...http://www.mr2.pl/art_V6_MR2_could_hit_streets.html

Edited by machg

There's a lunatic up here who is very ungracefully shoving a 5VZ-FE into an AW11... In a midship-engine vehicle I can see the merit, but hanging a dirty great lump of engine like that ahead of the front wheels is just... dumb.

Take the aforementioned V6 626/Telstar/MX6... godawful car to drive. Truly horrendous. Point them into a corner and you carve a nice concentric groove into the road with the radiator support panel and the inside rear wheel hangs in the air doing nothing, like a superfluous testicle.

Off topic: SV21s had a V6 in them. It was a 2.5 litre quad cam, and might be smaller than later V6s...auto only though, unless you can find a very rare lexus es250 manual from Japan :bash: Also mazda has done a couple of V6s in corolla sized cars - mx3 and 323 mantis. I am fairly sure some lunatics have swapped the small V6s from these models (1.8 and 2.0L) for the larger 2.5L V6 from the same engine family. So might be possible. Also this looks real...http://www.mr2.pl/art_V6_MR2_could_hit_streets.html

Yes, the V6 VZV21s were a 2.5L 2VZ engine, but the car was designed to take a V6 from factory so that means that the engine bay is designed for it. The AE92 was not designed for a V6, and thus it will be very difficult to fit one, especially a big wide OHC V6 that Toyota love to make.

As for the Mazdas, once again you have a car designed to take a V6 from factory (albeit a quite compact V6). Fitting a larger capacity V6 in the place of a smaller one (especially since often the overall dimensions of the engine don't change, just bore/stroke) is much easier than fitting a V6 in place of a 4-cylinder especially in a car which is 4-cylinder exclusive.

Take the aforementioned V6 626/Telstar/MX6... godawful car to drive. Truly horrendous. Point them into a corner and you carve a nice concentric groove into the road with the radiator support panel and the inside rear wheel hangs in the air doing nothing, like a superfluous testicle.

:bash:

Too true! ...and that should be the end of the argument!

If you do a stupid amount of work you will no doubt fit a V6 in, but it will be more of a dog to drive than it was!

The whole thing about handling is to try and keep most the weight between the wheels, so FWDs generally start off with the disadvantage of having the engine hanging out the front past the front axles. That's why it is so hard to stop them understeering.

anyone that does an engine conversion in a fwd for their first conversion is destined to fail. its ʇ~~ɔy enough just doing an engine swap on most of the f@$king things. there is just NO space, ANYWHERE.

Agreed, but is a V6 that much bigger? The block will certainly be wider, but is it longer? (The squeeze is more in relation to block length than width from my memory)