20v Into Ae71.

LittleRedSpirit

a saga indeed. i hope my wheel bearings last until i can afford new ones with those prices! diff will be overrated once it is reassembled, and make sure you take some pictures of everything before and during assembly. alternately let me know when and where and i can take photos.

Members dont see this ad

Just come and build mine with me when I put it together bud. We can do yours at he same time.

Ill go see my mechanic to get the bearings pressed on, and the bloke in the next shed is the diff jedi, then Ill be putting it back together at the shed with the housing in the car. cbf pulling it out, I might buy a creeper though. or a hoist...

I bought the axle bearings for both diffs today. $400 later. Ouch.

Got a call from diff lapping, the 4.5s are ready. $105 for that. $40 to clean the housing for me in their bath.

Then I guess hopefully tomorrow I can swing by diff lapping and collect the gears and the housing. Then I will drop off the gears, pinion seal, centre bearings and the centre with the broken gears to the mechanic to build the diff centre again. Ill drop off the new bearings and axles and retainers with the mechanic I usually use and he can press them off and on for me.

Then I'm back in business with a overrated 4.5:1 TRD 2way limited slip rear end.

Today's instalment of the diff saga...

I decided to get diff lapping to build it. I asked around, and they are widely regarded as the better diff people in Brisbane. They quoted an average build labour fee of $385. I was a bit shocked by this. I decided f@$k it, its a long term expense so may as well do it once and do it right.

I dropped them the complete whiney as f@$k centre, new bearings for it, a better condition tailshaft/pinion flange, pinion seal, crush washer and they already had he diff gears after lapping them. They rang me back tonight at 5pm to say the centre was all ready to go. Pretty damn fast turnaround. Only 2 hours labour to pay for aswell so only $200 plus the lapping and the housing cleaning fee. Wonderful. I will collect it tomorrow and re-assemble on saturday. I just have to go get the bearings pressed on and off the axles.

I noticed that both diffs have the same splines on the axles. So both the same series. Vernier Calipers will confirm whether its a zenki or kouki style once and for all tomorrow.

OK. Progress!

Today I collected the diff housing, freshly cleaned of course, and the freshly assembled centre with the 4.5s from diff lapping. I get their full warranty since I had them clean the housing as well. They removed the baffles and everything and did a wonderful job of cleaning it. No more sand I tells ya!

The post mortem on the whiny gear set in the second diff revealed symptoms of low oil in the diff for a long period. The teeth were exchanging metal back and forth from crown wheel to pinion and vice versa. They evidently had gotten very hot and were black at the edges.

Thankfully the 4.5s lapped up and assembled perfectly, the lsd was fine and the bearings I supplied were all correct.

A bit of a rundown of expenses to freshen up a t series, provided your lsd is in useable condition:

Rear wheel bearings, Koyo - $95 a side with retainers and seals included.

Bearings for the centre, unsure of brand but were japanese made - $200, there is 4 of them, 2 pairs.

Diff lapping to refresh worn gears - $105

Sealant - $13

If you need a crown wheel and pinion a new one is $500-$600, different ratios are different prices usually.