20v Into Ae71.

LittleRedSpirit

Members dont see this ad

Thanks Jon.

I removed and swapped over my left rear calliper to get rid of the noise it was making. Its all fixed now. I think one day soon I might get my pads stuck into my calipers with Disc Brake Quiet. The front pads move around a little in the wilwoods and one rear one squeaks a little.

Having put some more miles on the car now with the 4.5s, its awesome. Being shorter gears you can put around in tall gears at low speeds. If you want to go fast, its best to be pretty aggressive with the revs, but you can keep the revs between 5500 and 7500 really easily in and out of corners etc. Its a lot more drivable and pulls hard in high gears. You have to watch it in the wet, though, its a bit more inclined to spin wheels and slide all over. Thankfully, I have reverted to a stock sway-bar with fairly worn D bushes on it, the only Nolathane bushes attached to the rear sway-bar are the ones on the mounts vertical rod that bolts to the car, the other 2 pairs are soft old rubber ones and the rear end rolls and absorbs a lot of the stresses of cornering, even in the wet, its improved the grip while turning a lot, by adding a little extra body roll. I love body roll, in small, precisely managed doses.

So I guess the next thing is to tidy the interior up a little and then paint some more of it.

Maybe polish the wheels, find a nice brown chequered back seat, to replace the shitty faded grey velour seat.

I'm also considering buying an ecu data scan to give an accurate speedo, I still have a Hilux mechanically driven/electronically read speed sensor here that screws into my gearbox and outputs 4 pulses per revolution, it will work fine for a speedo on the ECU datascan, as now it reads 110 at 100.

OK, so I was tempted and I just dropped $600 on an ecudatascan. Gotta have a legal car with a working speedo, especially with these cameras coming in that do you for 2klm/hr over.

Heres the link...

http://www.ecudatascan.com.au/

great bit of kit, works with a serial connection to an aftermarket ecu or a dignostic port.

Just got the ECUdatascan in the post yesterday.

Tested it with the standard obd 2 cable on my girlfriends 09 Lancer, works a treat.

Then plugged it onto the adaptronic ecu, works a treat, although it needs a seperate power supply, but thats only 2 wires! Easier than a stezza!

I'm stoked, there is this awesome dashboard for the thing, that has a graph like an ekg with 3 variables in different colours on the graph, its very interesting.

Its pretty awesome in that you can set it to alert at any point and you can configure the maximum for each gauge, so no 11000rpm tacho on a car that spins to 6 for example. You can also shift the alert points, the redlines, if you will of each value.

Its mad.

Also plays mp3 and mp4 and comes with a 2 gig sd card for such amusements. Also, if you load a program on the SD card it will function as a point to point gps.

Mad shit!

You can even design your own laps as such from GPS data and then superimpose it over a google map and look up your data from an exact point on the track if you log things.

It will function like a Gtech but it only goes off the speed sensor. Its a bit innacurate since wheelspin will upset the data.

So today I'm fitting a digital speed sensor and wiring that, I'm also going to try and hook up the narrow band o2 sensor I have had installed for some time, and then while I'm wiring shit I will most likely make my purge canister controlled by the computer too.

Ecu Data scan is a winner.

Its hooked up and just roughly mounted to the dash, and the speed sensor is wired in, so just need to fire up the laptop and calibrate it to make that work I think, it just displays zero but I need to enter a value to activate it on the ecu menu.

Also did away with some dodgy wiring, but noticed that the Kellam loom from kaizen garage is falling apart even more than before, I reckon it will drop an injector one day soon enough, as the crimps are shit on the ecu end pins.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Speed sensor works, getting some electrical noise in it though but it is somewhat functional. Ill try the resistor mod that Adaptronic recommend, which is just a resistor between 2 pins of the ecu plug, cas ground and MVSS (master vehicle speed sensor).

Should be easy to do, Ill test it just by poking it in and then Ill crimp it in permanently if it works as intended. Failing that I might go to a shielded wire for it.

So finally, silent brake calipers! No more squeak.

I fitted my last spare caliper, and its perfect, it has absolute zero play, and I glued the pads in with disc brake quiet.

Brakes feel more assertive than ever before and the handbrake doesn't feel stretchy any more. Leads me to believe that a lot of the issues I had with the handbrake were related to the calipers twisting on themselves. Pretty poor design really, and seems like more of an issue on the lhs.

I also cut off a bunch of terminals and redid some crimps and just got rid of some generally shit 30 year old power feeds. Seems to start better, time will tell if this fixes the intermittent failure to start I'm experiencing occasionally.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Ok speed sensor is shit again, no idea whats going on there, it worked fine a day ago.

I just emailed Andy Wyatt from adaptronic asking for a few bits and pieces and wires so I can work on the loom a bit, and asked about the MVSS connection and the use of a shielded wire in that application.

Probably going to splurge on a wideband o2 sensor soon, I fighure its a bit cheaper than dyno time again and again whenever I change something, whcih is real often lately.

I can't decide between a tech edge or innovate kit. Leaning towards innovate but Id like to hear some opinions from people who have used wideband lamda gear before.

I asked the bloke on the dyno last time and he said the best he has used is a motec kit and that cost over 2 grand. don't think I can find that kind of money.

post-2885-093351300 1303697142_thumb.jpg