Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pics Of Leaf Spring Setups On Race Cars

Featured Replies

hey

I know a few people here half extra half leaves added and strange things done to rear suspension on your ke corolla esp the race car ke corollas. Can I trouble you guys for pics of your setup on here? Or is that divulging too much secret race information? :)

 

:), you have an extra half leaf added to the front of your spring packs in your rally car? how is it attached to the leaf? do you bolt it to the centre bolt of the pack? do you drill a hole in a short leaf and then add it, or add a long leaf and lop the rear part off? is the leaf upside down? are there other ways of clamping the front of the pack together?

 

I'm just chasing pics of ke corolla setups at the moment, trying to gather some information as to what to play with.

 

Robert.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 122.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The half leaf is secured to the pack with a the center bolt at one end and riveted to the top leaf (NOT pop rivets, industrial type ones)

 

The leaves i had made for 13BT KE20 and Greenmac80 both had half leafs fitted.

  • Author

and was the leaf upside down in relation to the other leaves?

 

did you drill the holes and rivet it yourself?

  • Author

meh, top secret race spec leaf setups that nobody will share obviously. Oh well, worth a shot :)

 

Robert.

Robert, You might want to have a talk with beau (Fat Bastard Customs), He is my suspension Guru. He can help you out with many ways to make your rolla handle well. and has some info about certain race setups pleople have used. He has told me but i wouldnt know how to explain it.

 

Hope this helps. He is in Bathurst too.

  • Author

yeah I know Beau... Will have a chat to anyone I can :)

 

Keith and I are planning on having a play with some leaves sometime too :)

 

Robert.

you have an extra half leaf added to the front of your spring packs in your rally car? how is it attached to the leaf? do you bolt it to the centre bolt of the pack?

 

 

Nope. Not quite. I place another full length 8mm spring in the pack, and get the whole lot reset to the height I require. I tend to run quite a hard set up in my cars. If you have a 3X or 5X I'd consider running a rear sway bar (I was going to but I wrote the car off first...) I never felt the need with the 25 though. Both cars had an added 8mm spring running full length.

 

I can get piccies tomorrow or maybe lter if interested.

 

R

  • Author

its a ke55 and it has an (apparently) aftermarket rear swaybar that looks factory and gets a mention in the gregories manuals.... handles much nicer than the ke30 did (didn't have a rear bar) but it axle tramps something chronic. As bad as the front wheel tramp in the aurion I took for a drive the other day, which was mental to drive no matter how you look at it :)

 

I'd love to get some more traction as well as stopping the axle tramp. The car gets used in khanacrosses, motorkhanas, hillclimbs and descents/supersprints so we ask a lot of it :)

 

I'm always up for pics of everything!

 

My boss thinks that if I put a short leaf upside down on the front of the pack it will snap (flexing the wrong way) and he reckons I should add it upright to the front section, bolt it to the centre bolt and place it in the clamps at the front.

 

Robert.

55's are prone to tramp, one reason is the angle the back shocks are. A good quality shock will solve a lot of your issues here. I used Bilsteins, and they worked well. I wouldn't worry about the half length, stick a full length one in, even if it's an old one out of another pack, and see what happens. Bilsteins are probably cheaper than you think.

  • Author

the second longest one (first one without the eyes) and just put it in the pack as appropriate? don't worry about upside down on top or anything fiddly?

 

Robert.

  • Author

I've been told to stiffen the front up and leave the back relatively soft to get better traction due to weight transfer...

 

Robert.

I did that with my 20. Actually removed the 2 shortest leaves from the pack. The softer rear suited my driving style. Had a 35 with standard leaves and a 55 rear bar and felt it was too stiff.

I'm looking at stiffining my rears for the drifts butmaybe a new shock would helpand that i should try this first ?if so whats the stiffest shock u guys no of for the 55 which fits straight in

i can't find any pics of my setup, but i used the second leaf down and cut it just behind the center bolt, then flipped it on top on the front half of the leafs, then used some 25x5mm flat bar and made a square loop and wraped that around all of the leafs then welded it up (the new bar) so it holds them all togeather

 

for drifting i use the same setup but put the overload leaf back in, and because my leaf pack is pretty straight I'm using the overload leaf all the time, insted of only when you pack the boot full of heavy stuff

 

i also added a sway bar from a ae86, made the car alot more balanced

IF... KE70 shocks fit, then you can try the Bilsteins I've got lying around here Rob- They're on my Datto 1600 which is not on the road atm, and there is another set lying around somewhere.

 

If KE70s are too long then we should retire to Great Western Wreckers one afternoon... There must be something good down there that will fit.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.